Levels rising

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hy. Not posted in a long time but after advice please as things going in wrong direction.
Was diagnosed 2019 type 2. The average glucose level was 124 at that point. Joined here and had good help and got to 75 by 6 month and 49 after the first year. I started on metformin but got switched to Sukkarto as lots of toilet troubles. Slightly better on Sukkarto but still had regular bouts of the trots. After the initial fear upon diagnosis after couple of years i was less scared and started cutting corners diet wise. The Doc switched me onto Trulicity injections once a week. This was a Godsend as it instantly stopped the gastric problems.Spent last few year with the 6 month tests coming back in 50s but last year was put on Otezla tablets for psoriasis and just had result of 81. I've started doing my pin prick tests again and seem to be always between 9 and 11 on meter? Have to test again in August so I'm trying to go back to the sensible diet that served me well that first year but I'm worried my levels seem consistently high? Also from day 1 they pushed a Statin on me which I've resisted as believed i could control my condition without buyt I'm thinking now it nay be wise starting as such high numbers? Any advice gratefully received as after becoming nonchalant i feel back at bottom of the hill again. Thanks.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just as an aside the Otezla is working wonders skinwise but i queried if this could explain the hike in glucose levels but the nurse said no.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as i can see, it doesn't have any effect on blood sugars, in fact many people seem to find it helps. Although Psoriasis, does apparently have an effect on reducing Insulin production, so that probably explains how Oteza helps.

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mess up my blood glucose every time that I start 'cutting corners' diet wise :( No matter what meds I take. So all I can recommend is that you continue on the diet and lifestyle.

Hope you get things under control again.

I had no side effects on the statins (Atorvastatin). Might be worth considering as a precaution? It's a very common drug, diabetes or not. But you can lower bad cholesterol with a more plant based diet.

Interesting on Psoriasis impacting insulin - will have to look in to that!

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I mess up my blood glucose every time that I start 'cutting corners' diet wise :( No matter what meds I take. So all I can recommend is that you continue on the diet and lifestyle.

Hope you get things under control again.

I had no side effects on the statins (Atorvastatin). Might be worth considering as a precaution? It's a very common drug, diabetes or not. But you can lower bad cholesterol with a more plant based diet.

Interesting on Psoriasis impacting insulin - will have to look in to that!
Thanks. Yes there are no short cuts and id slipped into thinking i could return almost to normal.ive rejoined the gym although work circumstances recently changed and not going as much as I'd like. Back to basics it is then.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as i can see, it doesn't have any effect on blood sugars, in fact many people seem to find it helps. Although Psoriasis, does apparently have an effect on reducing Insulin production, so that probably explains how Oteza helps.
Haven't had the loss of appetite that some say comes with Otezla but first 3 month had some dark moods and generally down which isn't my normal disposition. Thankfully seem to be through that now. Will tow the line and make right diet choices and see what the blood test in August says. Thanks .

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I've been testing twice a day and back in 6 -7 range already. Just from low carb. Haven't been to the gym this week as work hours made it impossible.Dropped a couple of pounds though.

• Winner
Reactions: MissMuffett

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. It takes a bit of effort to get back on the horse.

I have zero personal experience with statins (offered and refused) but I have read lost of accounts on this forum from people who report elevated BGs while taking one.

A quick Google shows that the CDC in the USA allow that statins interfere with insulin and therefore can raise BG. They don't (of course) tell T2s not to take a statin.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great work on getting your BG down. Long May it continue.
I will refuse statins as long as I live! The GP laughs when he asks, every year, if I’d like to take them, he already knows my answer. My reasoning, it lowers cholesterol- every cell including your brain needs cholesterol. Statins have been shown to weaken muscles - guess what your heart is! This is my opinion and should not be the basis for your decision obviously :)

Reactions: Craigmartin

Marianne67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Great work on getting your BG down. Long May it continue.
I will refuse statins as long as I live! The GP laughs when he asks, every year, if I’d like to take them, he already knows my answer. My reasoning, it lowers cholesterol- every cell including your brain needs cholesterol. Statins have been shown to weaken muscles - guess what your heart is! This is my opinion and should not be the basis for your decision obviously :)

I am with you on this.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I'm feeling bit better in general but have started experiencing slight dizzy/woozy feeling upon standing up. Having plenty of water so not that. Its only very minor but obviously it's not a great thing to be happening. Any thoughts? It's not all the time but probably 4 times this week

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be low blood pressure related. If you've recently changed what you eat you may need to add a little more salt to replace what your body got used to in processed foods

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Iv been on 5mg rampiril for couple of year as they said my blood pressure was high. They've been happy with it last 18 month. Maybe the dose needs reducing?