Levemir and Novarapid

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Need some advise here..

I usually take 16 units of levemir at around 10pm every night, and then take my novarapid as and when i eat during the day. But my blood sugars will start to rise on there own constantly, and by the time i get to around 8pm-9pm my sugar levels will rise to about 16mmol every night for no reason! I have heard that i should split my levemir dose but i am a bit scared of splitting it and not taking enough or taking too much. Does anyone recommend what doses i should try first?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought that Levemir was really supposed to be split as it doesn't last for 24 hours (that would explain the highs in the evening), I haven't used it though so can't confirm.
You should really talk to your DN or doctor to work out who many units you should try for each split, on the forums we are not allowed to advise on dosage amounts.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @emily deacon, As @RoKabb writes, levemir is usually twice daily. You need to get you DSN or doctor to discuss about how to split the Levemir dose between say with breakfast and at 10 pm. They should know better, but .....