Levemir - lumps :(

Juliejwise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been trying Levemir for the almost 3 months now. I like it a lot. I was getting erratic control with Lantus and the Levemir seems to keep my levels more stable. I take a split dose of 9 units am and pm.

However, I've noticed that a lump develops at the injection site and lasts for a few days, sometimes I also get a small red dot where the needle went in. This seems to be worse on left leg for some reason. I read that this can happen for a couple of months after starting with Levemir and then settle down - but now I'm concerned that I'm still getting this allergic reaction and might even be building up to lipohypertrophy. I didn't have anything like this for the many years I was on Lantus or Insulatard (or the porcine stuff we used in the dark ages) and I'm still rotating to avoid absorption problems.

Plan C is that I could go back to Insulatard, but would be interested to hear anyone's experience with these Levemir lumps.

Thanks
Hi
I've been trying Levemir for the almost 3 months now. I like it a lot. I was getting erratic control with Lantus and the Levemir seems to keep my levels more stable. I take a split dose of 9 units am and pm.

However, I've noticed that a lump develops at the injection site and lasts for a few days, sometimes I also get a small red dot where the needle went in. This seems to be worse on left leg for some reason. I read that this can happen for a couple of months after starting with Levemir and then settle down - but now I'm concerned that I'm still getting this allergic reaction and might even be building up to lipohypertrophy. I didn't have anything like this for the many years I was on Lantus or Insulatard (or the porcine stuff we used in the dark ages) and I'm still rotating to avoid absorption problems.

Plan C is that I could go back to Insulatard, but would be interested to hear anyone's experience with these Levemir lumps.

Thanks
I've been using levemir since November as I went on a dafne course and they made me change to this from lantus. When I first started it I got huge lumps and black bruises on my butt, but now not many brushes but I still get lumps. I try all different spots on my butt, and have even tried my stomach but that hurts.I don't do my legs as I've been injecting in them for over 30 years and need them to have a rest. Sometimes I don't get a lump but I do more then I don't.
I'm Thinking of changing to something else.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I've been using levemir since November as I went on a dafne course and they made me change to this from lantus. When I first started it I got huge lumps and black bruises on my butt, but now not many brushes but I still get lumps. I try all different spots on my butt, and have even tried my stomach but that hurts.I don't do my legs as I've been injecting in them for over 30 years and need them to have a rest. Sometimes I don't get a lump but I do more then I don't.
I'm Thinking of changing to something else.
I did change back to Lantus as I didn't get lumps with that. I'm now using Tresiba which is great, but rather expensive.

Reactions: 2 people

Juliejwise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did change back to Lantus as I didn't get lumps with that. I'm now using Tresiba which is great, but rather expensive.
Hi, with lantus you can't spilt the dose though can you? And I might look into the Tresiba, do you have to buy it then?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, with lantus you can't spilt the dose though can you? And I might look into the Tresiba, do you have to buy it then?
You can split the dose of Lantus if you feel it isn't lasting the whole 24 hours. My consultant changed me over to Tresiba, although my GP grumbled about the price. Some CCGs won't fund it, so it depends where you live.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure how your leg injection sites were with the Lantus, but I find I always get small bumps in my legs when I try to inject Levemir there. It's the only basal insulin that I've used so I can't compare it to anything else.

What I do find though is that I never get any bumps when injecting Levemir into the top of the buttocks area. And this is the only site I'm using now without problem. I'm also using 4mm needles.

Grant

Juliejwise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
O
I'm not sure how your leg injection sites were with the Lantus, but I find I always get small bumps in my legs when I try to inject Levemir there. It's the only basal insulin that I've used so I can't compare it to anything else.

What I do find though is that I never get any bumps when injecting Levemir into the top of the buttocks area. And this is the only site I'm using now without problem. I'm also using 4mm needles.

Grant
ok I'll try the tops of my buttocks then to see if this helps. My legs did have big lumps from all the years of injecting both injections. So no more legs for me for a long time, they are gradually going away. I inject my novo rapid in my arms and stomach, and levemir in my buttocks. But just getting fed up with the lumps now. And yes I use 4mm needles too.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope that works out! Everybody is different but not when it comes to hating lumps in injection sites :)

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was put on Levemir 2 months ago now. I don't get lumps but I do get occasionally stinging and a lot of bruises! On Lantus I got the same stinging but no lumps or bruises.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks
I'm exactly the same diagnosed 3 months ago and just started noticing large lumps under my skin, that's exactly why I'm looking through this forum tonight, getting a bit worried tbh, gonna continue reading through now :) glad I found this thread
Oh n HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

Reactions: robert72

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm exactly the same diagnosed 3 months ago and just started noticing large lumps under my skin, that's exactly why I'm looking through this forum tonight, getting a bit worried tbh, gonna continue reading through now :) glad I found this thread
Oh n HAPPY NEW YEAR :)
hi @Robyn@29 - its sounds very much like the reaction I got. It would be worth asking your team if you could try a different basal to see if that makes a difference.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Sometimes lumps are caused by too short a needle I have found

Reactions: Robyn@29

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes lumps are caused by too short a needle I have found
That seems to be the concensus, gonna ask the GP for longer ones... so far mine have stopped tho, only lasted a few days, with the occasional short term lump, think the longer needles will help :)

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Thanks

Siesta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ,
I too split levemir 10 units am / pm .... I sometimes get a prominent swelling ( mainly in upper thigh ) I put it down to walking around etc ( prob sounds silly now ) I mainly inject my basal in my stomach now and only occasionally get this.... I have persevered with the levemir as my confidence has grown in this insulin. I mainly inject bolts into arms for convenience ! Good luck with it !

Reactions: robert72

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,
I too split levemir 10 units am / pm .... I sometimes get a prominent swelling ( mainly in upper thigh ) I put it down to walking around etc ( prob sounds silly now ) I mainly inject my basal in my stomach now and only occasionally get this.... I have persevered with the levemir as my confidence has grown in this insulin. I mainly inject bolts into arms for convenience ! Good luck with it !
Thanks @Siesta - I have since switched to Tresiba and don't have any swelling or lumps with that, so I must have been allergic to Levemir.