Levemir - lumps :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been trying Levemir for the almost 3 months now. I like it a lot. I was getting erratic control with Lantus and the Levemir seems to keep my levels more stable. I take a split dose of 9 units am and pm.

However, I've noticed that a lump develops at the injection site and lasts for a few days, sometimes I also get a small red dot where the needle went in. This seems to be worse on left leg for some reason. I read that this can happen for a couple of months after starting with Levemir and then settle down - but now I'm concerned that I'm still getting this allergic reaction and might even be building up to lipohypertrophy. I didn't have anything like this for the many years I was on Lantus or Insulatard (or the porcine stuff we used in the dark ages) and I'm still rotating to avoid absorption problems.

Plan C is that I could go back to Insulatard, but would be interested to hear anyone's experience with these Levemir lumps.

Thanks

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'll just bump this up for you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I guess I'm lucky having been on Levemir (and Novorapid) for 6 months with no problems injecting into the stomach apart from very slight redness and slight bruising sometimes (4mm needle). You mention injecting into the leg? Have you tried the stomach but that might be worse of course. Levemir doesn't appear to cause many problems but we are all different.

Hello I have the same problem too it lasts for a long time and I do get red dots but I have never been told I'm allergic the doctors say that I have been doing my injections in the same place to much and need to move to a different site I hope this helps you x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Daibell said:
Hi. I guess I'm lucky having been on Levemir (and Novorapid) for 6 months with no problems injecting into the stomach apart from very slight redness and slight bruising sometimes (4mm needle). You mention injecting into the leg? Have you tried the stomach but that might be worse of course. Levemir doesn't appear to cause many problems but we are all different.
Thanks Daibell

I normally do Novorapid in my stomach, so would prefer to use my legs for basal. It only seems to have happened in the last 2 - 3 months since changing from Lantus, which made me suspect the Levemir rather than the site. As you say, we're all different.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Emilycbrown123 said:
Hello I have the same problem too it lasts for a long time and I do get red dots but I have never been told I'm allergic the doctors say that I have been doing my injections in the same place to much and need to move to a different site I hope this helps you x

Thanks Emily

I'll try and find some underused areas to see if this makes a difference... although difficult to find now after so many years ;)

Still thinking I might ask about Insulatard to see if that's any better, but grateful to hear your experiences.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Robert .
Check out the leaflet provided in the levemir packaging .
The preservatives in levemir can give a lipos reaction on the injection site areas.
Red raised hot to touch lumps!

I had this reaction with levemir and had to change over to porcine insulin .
Sensitivity reaction to preservatives in levemir can be a possibility .
According to the manufacturers leaflet provided in the packaging .

Return to your DSN or your GP if concerned best course of action .

Hope this can help you .

Anna .

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
anna29 said:
Robert .
Check out the leaflet provided in the levemir packaging .
The preservatives in levemir can give a lipos reaction on the injection site areas.
Red raised hot to touch lumps!

I had this reaction with levemir and had to change over to porcine insulin .
Sensitivity reaction to preservatives in levemir can be a possibility .
According to the manufacturers leaflet provided in the packaging .

Return to your DSN or your GP if concerned best course of action .

Hope this can help you .

Anna .
Thanks Anna

I am seeing my GP in a couple of weeks, so will discuss this with him. The lumps aren't hot but they are bigger than the amount of insulin injected so it must be some sort of reaction. I certainly remember the good old days with porcine insulin :thumbup:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Nigel

Didn't know that was available yet, although I'll probably need to get referred back to a clinic to try it, as I'm sure my GP will only be happy to prescribe what he knows about (if it's his responsibility). I'll ask about it when I see him in a couple of weeks.

Claire2332

Split 9 units wow I have 20 units of levamer in a Morning and 40 units At night I inject in to my stomach but was told to inject the other side to my novarapid so that they don't mix with each other and mess up my régime!! I get little lumps which seem to be a build up of insulin not goin deep enough under the skin just push it and give it a rub and puff gone lol good luck

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Claire2332 said:
Split 9 units wow I have 20 units of levamer in a Morning and 40 units At night I inject in to my stomach but was told to inject the other side to my novarapid so that they don't mix with each other and mess up my régime!! I get little lumps which seem to be a build up of insulin not goin deep enough under the skin just push it and give it a rub and puff gone lol good luck

Thanks Claire

That would be a lot of Levemir for me, I guess we are all different ;)

Yes, I have had those little lumps before where the injection goes into the layers of skin but not under it, but this is quite different - these lumps are deeper down and maybe 2-3cm in diameter and they don't come up until a few hours later.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just noticed a new bump on my abdomen - I last injected in that area over a week ago (moved to new area after a bruise appeared after injecting) and apart from obviously avoiding that area for the time being I wondered if anyone had any other advice for me?

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've just noticed a new bump on my abdomen - I last injected in that area over a week ago (moved to new area after a bruise appeared after injecting) and apart from obviously avoiding that area for the time being I wondered if anyone had any other advice for me?

Thanks

You could use your arms, legs and buttocks as an alternative to give the area a break. Insulin takes slightly longer to work in the arm than it does in the stomach and longer still in the legs and buttocks, so if you do use these areas you need to keep this in mind if you get postprandial spikes.

I mainly use my stomach and arms for bolus injections and buttocks and legs for my basal, site rotation is paramount to avoid lumps and problems with insulin absorption.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks as always Noblehead. Furious with myself for letting it happen as thought I was rotating enough - clearly not.

Have moved my basal injections back down to my legs but have always had problems with injections/cannulas in leg so now sporting some red lumps on them...wonder if I'm just very sensitive there...going to ask my DSN this week I think.

I've always been too scared to inject into my arm....

Thanks again for advice

:)

judy.suirane

I had a few bruises so far using abdominal sites. A couple of defective needles .. Ouch... But thought this wS the fatty part of my body lol hurts less!! I'm only 2 months on injections so it's all new to me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Judgemental medical professionals
I've had the same problem with allergic reactions to my basal, seriously effected my health. Just stopped taking Insultard as I was having serious health issues with it, this is the third type that has not agreed with me & waiting to see consultant next week. Just on novorapid at the moment & struggling to keep night time levels under control, it has not made any difference to day time levels, so I don't think the effects of insulatard lasted long for me.

jagger38

Hi there, I have just done my lantus injection in my thigh, and its caused a lump to appear. I am really worried now it wont work, is this normal, and does it affect insulin absorption? Any replies gratefully received.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed I used to inject Levemir just into my stomach on one side, and it ended up being noticeably bigger than the other side. I rotate injection sites from legs, to buttocks, on each side for Levemir, and this seems to have stopped the problem.