Type 1 Levemir

Senga

Can anyone please advise me about levemir my basal insulin. I was taking 12 in morning on rising and 7 before bed. I found it was running out around 8 at night thus they put it up one. Still running out. The question I wanted to ask was I was told the more insulin I took the longer it would last but when they put up my night time one from 7 to 8 it did not hold steady through the night but dropped 4 or 5 . Hope this makes sense I have to phone my db nurse again today around 3 but hope to get some more knowledge from here so I am prepared with questions. Thanky0U for taking the time to read x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @Senga

If it was running out at 8pm then they should have raised your morning dose not your evening dose. Raising the evening dose is causing the drop during the night.

Reactions: 2 people

Senga

Hi Robert will it last longer if raised. I also think up another one in morning but unsure. I thought the 7 at night time kept it level so stayed wakened most of night checking when asked to put it up to 8. It has been rising to around 18 4 hours after dinner earlier if I am active. Taking the correct bolus ratio at meal as it stays level 2 to 3 hours after meal. I have been taking 1 of bolus at night around 10 when it rises then my basal.Need to get something sorted today with db nurse as I need a sleep lol

Senga

Just finished a 4 day course on diabetes where they stated only make 1 adjustment at a time and see if u see a pattern so was surprised when the same nurse on the course told me to adjust both

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Senga

Db nurse just off phone she wants me to stick to numbers and do a car free meal tonight to check my ratio at moment it is 1 to 10 thinks I might need to go for 1 to 8 so another night without sleep. Sun shining though cold here so wil stay positive x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you manage to sort this out with your nurse. You really need to get you basal level correct before looking at carb ratios.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is a 3D graph on the web for Levemir time profile. Google it. Increasing the quantity doesn't make it last longer. Levemir only lasts a maximum of 18 hours, and can be less, with a peak around 6-8 hours or so. I only take a single dose at night and rely on changing the Bolus ratio to make up for the Levemir decaying.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi. There is a 3D graph on the web for Levemir time profile. Google it. Increasing the quantity doesn't make it last longer. Levemir only lasts a maximum of 18 hours, and can be less, with a peak around 6-8 hours or so. I only take a single dose at night and rely on changing the Bolus ratio to make up for the Levemir decaying.
This is in the first post of my second link. Worth having a read.

Senga

Thank you both for your replies I also think need to get my basal sorted before messing around with my ratio. I will check out graph on levemir have just had carb free meal so will keep u updated of the outcome x

Reactions: 3 people

FatCatAnna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmm, dishonest people that pretty well sums it up in a nutshell!
This is in the first post of my second link. Worth having a read.

Is this the one you mean Tim? https://www.levemirpro.com/pharmacology/consistent-insulin-absorption-and-action.html

I'm coming to look for help with my recent Levemir experience. I sound similar @Senga - with lows overnight (oh sleep how I dream of thee) - and things go along well until afternoon with highs. I'll keep on looking around to see if more has been posted on Levemir. I'm usually using an insulin pump, but like to take breaks from it just to a) save money; and b) be unteethered. I'm still tethered to my CGM (a used Dexcom CGM4) - that maybe reveals more then I need to know at times.

Senga

Thanks tim2000s just noticed your post using my phone at moment as laptop being sorted and I am not too great on this can't find the part to click like lol

Senga

Cheers Fat at Anna laptop will be repaired Thursday so will check out these websites difficult to read on phone x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just as an FYI I do 14u at 7.30am and 8u at 9.30pm and fine those levels keep me suitably flat, however the 8u wears off around 7am and the combination of dawn phenomenon and lack of background insulin sees my rise quite sharply in the morning if I don't take a shot of novorapid when I get up.

Senga

Think this what was happening to me tim2000s the db nurses are trying to stop the high rise in morning. I used to take 12 hours apart 9am in morning and 9 at night with half hour Lea way. Now I have to inject on rising and just before bed I get up around 7.30 and bed 11 or 12 It usually rises around 10 pm will need to go through all the paperwork I have as I write everything I eat . Insulin and activity down.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is the image.

b2c90a804b7bb408ef9ccbab9699c406.jpg

What it shows is absorption rate, dose per kilo of body weight and time.

Anything that is below 0.2u/kg tails off after 8-10 hours. Between 0.2 and 0.4 it tails off after 12-16.

It also takes about 90 mins to take action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senga

Thanks for explaining tim2000s I had a look at graph but wasn't too sure what it meant. I weigh 51.75g height 1.68 just got these from db nurse lol At moment I take 13 on rising and 7 at bed time the 7 at bed time keeps me steady it's just when they put it up to 8 there was a big drop. I had carb free meal tonight so patiently waiting to see if it rises as this has been the norm with carb meals. I will look your graph again now I understand. Thanky0U x

Senga

Good Morning just an update on my carb free meal. My levels stayed the same so I take it I will be advised by db nurse to try the 1:8 ratio tonight at dinner hopefully another step forward to better control. Thanky0U everyone for taking the time to reply yesterday your support means a lot. Hope you all have a good day. x