Libre 2 on prescription

amclifton

I have been using a libre 2 all through lockdown and found it to be reliable and accurate .. I find it myself because I am Type 2 and it obviously costs me £100 per month.
The community diabetic nurse tells me that my dr can prescribe it if he wanted to which would help me greatly.
I asked my GP yesterday and he basically told me he didn’t really do diabetic stuff .. the community nurse does all that!
He didn’t know if he could prescribe it but would ask his diabetic nurse for advice.
I find it frustrating that he won’t prescribe me and feels he has to ask others who say it’s his decision.
The libre 2 has been invaluable to me , waking me in the night when my blood sugar goes under 3 at least 3 times helping me regulate my insulin intake.
I am asking for help please to get my GP to listen to me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My best suggestion is "pester power". Keep it very pleasant, of course, you don't want him to hate you, but keep on - and on - and on - asking. GPs are very busy, they haven't time to keep arguing the toss with patients. Write down your arguments to prompt you. If you see your GP in person, just keep on sitting there, looking as large and immobile as possible. He can't actually drag you bodily out of the room. If on the telephone, keep on chipping in, not letting him bring the conversation to a close. If you run out of things to say, just start again from the top of the list. If you are repeating yourself, that will just be the more tiresome for him. Without sounding threatening, you might like to mention that for a patient on insulin it is downright dangerous not to have a hypo alarm for the night, and you can't go on paying yourself month after month. Mention how much it costs you.He claims ignorance of all things diabetic (shame on him!), maybe has no idea how expensive it is. If you don't get what you want at once, ask again and again, til they dread the sound of your voice.
Good luck!

Reactions: amclifton

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using a libre 2 all through lockdown and found it to be reliable and accurate .. I find it myself because I am Type 2 and it obviously costs me £100 per month.
The community diabetic nurse tells me that my dr can prescribe it if he wanted to which would help me greatly.
I asked my GP yesterday and he basically told me he didn’t really do diabetic stuff .. the community nurse does all that!
He didn’t know if he could prescribe it but would ask his diabetic nurse for advice.
I find it frustrating that he won’t prescribe me and feels he has to ask others who say it’s his decision.
The libre 2 has been invaluable to me , waking me in the night when my blood sugar goes under 3 at least 3 times helping me regulate my insulin intake.

Hi,

I can only give you my own experience as a T1. (Of which only 20% of us get the Libre on prescription due to meeting a certain criteria?)
It's the endo that has the first & last say on prescribing these things. So in some respects your GP isn't fobbing you off.

Now to be fair, I didn't meet this "criteria" for the Libre either. I had been self funding for well over 2 years?

Three things fell into place with convincing my endo. Being able to demonstrate I knew what I was dong with them, a marked improvement in managment & associated HbA1c.
& the final clincher of the deal, the apropriacy of "blood letting" with traditional meter use regarding what I was doing for a living at the time.. I was up to my elbows in chicken carcasses on an egg farm.. ("Call it "food hygiene?")

Target the right person in your healthcare team holding the "strings" & sell the idea, re-enforcing the benefits of Libre use regarding your day to day managment.

I wish you the best of luck,

Reactions: EllieM

Lisa69free

I've just had a voucher to receive 1 free sensor from Abbott. My Dr at the hospital has put me forward for a 6 month trial and he said after that time i would have to take it up with my GP. Can you not get a trial at least from the hospital or diabetes clinic referral?