Libre 2 signal loss

oconnorbp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must be lucky, only had problems in the first year of libre 2 sensor went through 3 in 4 hours. But now no problems only have to watch what clothes I wear, only suggest you return sensors to tech support as I did, make sure on new sensor you have it applied in the right area of your arm ha after 52 years I have no flesh on my arms.

Reactions: aylalake

Sandra_W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders, Snakes, Exercise, Ignorant people, Non serious diabetics. Being told that "You can't eat that"
Been using Libre for nearly 2 years now, rarely have problems, but after last update, I found the logbook was taking an age to load. Was really doing my head in. Abbott in desperation, advised me to uninstall, and reinstall the phone app. Not had problems since. I do get occasional signal loss, but usually when I've gone into another room for more than couple of minutes, so expected. But I'd suggest trying to uninstall and reinstall, Sometimes the updates don't pick up all the data. I'm using Android 14 on Samsung A54 5g for the record.

janine.f

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember in this weather if the sensor gets too cold it will scan error or not even scan, hold your hand over it to warm it up a bit and hey presto it's back doing its job
Im constantly having to scan too since the update a few months ago. Im not getting any warnings of any hypos/hypers either!! Worrying. Ive contacted Abbott Customer Care but theyve just told me to keep an eye on it and return any sensors Im having problems with, but it happening on every sensor.

MuttNJeff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread came up in my email today about recent posts, otherwise I would have missed it. We seem to have a plethora of different threads about the ****show that is libre2. Some comments up-thread are useful. Today I had at least 2 occurrences of levels reported as some way below 3.9 although I felt fine. If my meter is handy, I try to test in those situations, but if it is upstairs and I'm in the lounge then I tend not to. I'll also mention that the levels within a minute or two of getting a reading with a horizontal arrow sometimes differ a lot more than I was led to expect, e.g. a change of more than 1.0 within 2 minutes.

Sorely tempted to delete the app and reinstall, but I can do without the aggravation of losing current history and then re-enabling my diabetes team and my GP to look at the figures.

Anyway, this evening I looked back at below range in last 7 days, 1 instance at a time quite different from today's readings. Then I looked at the history for today, and after waiting (cue: moan about how much slower 2.10 is) I saw the graph line never dropped below 3.9 although one spot reading showed a disconnected red dot some way below the line.

I think the only reasonable view of the 2.10 software, at least on recent android phones, is "What a POS." (I suppose I ought to apologise to those, particularly americans, who get offended by such vernacular language.

ĸen

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brava210

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
My 3rd sensor in a row has just failed (this one 5 days before expiration date). The readings were flatlined all night at 2.9. A foot-on-the-floor finger prick test gave a reading of 7.3 and a second one 30 minutes later 5.4.

I have an iPhone. I have also just logged onto LibreView on my iPad and downloaded all the data in there just in case I have to uninstall the app.

sheilahb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too have constant signal loss. I have deleted and downloaded the libre2 app again but still no joy. i don’t think it’s the sensors unless there is a particularly bad batch as this must be 5 or 6 since it started. My husband bought me a fit bit so I could download the Shuggah app and have readings sent to my watch. This worked for a day then stopped. I’m assuming it gets the info from the libre 2 app so if one isnt working then the other won’t either.
I do hope they get it sorted as it has the potential to be so liberating as far a diabetes can be.

Owenn01

Looking at some of these comments one has to wonder whether Abbot are making sure that the app is keeping pace with software updates from the phone manufacturers? The comms issue could well be a 'security update' being laid down on to the phone but which then disables or interferes with the Libre 2 signal to the phone (as happened famously last year with the iPhone debacle). I rarely get loss of signal (iPhone 8 and latest Apple software version) but it is a 'works phone' and so is kept absolutely up to date in that respect.
BTW - I am more interested (slight tangent - sorry) in Libre 2 failures and how you all get on replacing them? I had one fail within 12 hours of installing and, whilst my doctors seem okay in just sending another prescription out, I wonder how long that would be tolerated given how expensive to their budgets these are? As to the reasons for the failure? No idea....

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was on the phone for ages to Abbott this morning, having to repeat the woeful tales of each of the 3 failed sensors, including their numbers, dates of various error readings and so on. TWICE! The first agent said she would ring me back in 3 minutes. I got a missed call. The 2nd agent said the first agent hadn’t actually saved the information :mad:

Anyhoo, this makes a total of 5 sensors (previously 2 literally fell off by themselves) reported and each one has been/is being replaced “as compensation”. So I really cannot complain, particularly as I am self-funding, on an extremely low limited budget, so this “cost of living” assistance from Abbott is appreciated.

Incidentally, I have not had any problems when I do my iPhone updates.

JGJ9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had this issue especially nearing the end of life of the sensors. Along with the lack of the sensor’s constant ability to auto scan is the fact when a manual scan is performed sometimes a message comes up wait for 10 minutes which on one occasion continued for about an hour before a scan was completed. Word of warning don’t uninstall the Libre app unless you really have to because the phone may loose all the past information Estimated A1c, Daily Patterns and the like. I believe the problem I have had could have been an iffy batch of sensors as the one I have on now is performing without a glitch. Also be aware strong wifi radio signals from other devices can block and corrupt the Bluetooth and NFC signal from phone to sensor.
The 10 min message can be a common occurrence especially this time of year with the extra clothing layers on but I've put that down to me missing the exact location of the sensor. I haven't had too many signal loss messages but I've noticed it does seem to be when the phone battery is getting low - and Libre 2 does seem to use it now cgm is in place.

Over the nearly 5 years of using Libre, the main issue I've had is the occasional failure 2 or 3 days before the expected end date. It hasn't caused any dramatic problems but it can set timeframes off a bit depending on what's in the diary e.g. rounds of golf, driving etc.Abbott replace sensors quickly which is excellent service.

The biggest issue I've had since Libre 2 became cgm, is using the logbook as it now takes ages to access it and enter data. I do use the logbook to enter results during exercise or golf so I can see what is happening and how I've handled it etc. But it takes so long to review results now that I have actually been shouted at by the group behind me on the golf course to hurry up!

The helpline said to delete and re-install the app but as you mention, it does lose the 90 day record so some of the results don't mean too much immediately after re-installation. I've noticed that access does actually get slower as the days goes by. Some redesign or recoding needed I think by the developers...

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have not experienced any problems with the logbook. Perhaps there is a difference if yours is communicating with a pump?

JGJ9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have not experienced any problems with the logbook. Perhaps there is a difference if yours is communicating with a pump?
No, Aylalake, I don't use a pump. After 62 years as a diabetic in my 73 years, I guess I'll continue by just using my "experience"

Reactions: aylalake

MuttNJeff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the logbook, maybe it is only a problem on recent phones. I don't use a pump and I'm on android 13.

For the 10 minute dialog I had thought this was "results outside the expected change, software is waiting to try to understand where the readings are going." Dunno where I formed that impression, a post somewhere. It certainly is not the same as 'failed to scan the sensor properly'.

I've been watching various youtube items about this - some info looks very dodgy, most of it is about sensors falling off which is not my problem, one thought was that low hydration can give problems with readings.Before last winter my house was warm and I drank a lot of water - now my house is cooler I'm drinking less water.

Another thing from one video was that the sensor lags blood glucose and can be up to half and hour behind if low hydration. My memory from the Abbot webinar was that the sensor predicts the next 2 or 3 minutes.

Also from a video, tolerance of sensors AND teststrips can be ±15% so one strip could be 30% away from one sensor. I would expect tighter control of both.

Unsure that any of the things I've picked up from videos are necessarily correct.

Reactions: Gordontoo

Gordontoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here in Oz I was lead to believe that a lot of the problems were caused by the update of the interface software between the Libre2 and Samsung android. I did have some issues when Samsung did their android13 upgrade, but after a considerable amount of angst and some long call to Abbotts, things did settle down

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I have now had 4 sensors fail in less then 10 days with Sensor error scan in 10 mins,
These messages last for hours though.
1 sensor gave a constant reading of 22.1
Been on the phone again today for yet another patchy sensor.
I get them on prescription so I dont get any problems getting them replaced but it's tiresome

Reactions: Gordontoo

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Owenn01 you must get your replacements through Abbott not your Gp. Just ring or email I have never had an issue with them sending out replacements.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
DSN is sending out a Dexcom trial pack, so how that goes.......:banghead:

Gordontoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't wish to sound like someone who enjoys being bashed about, if I can put it that way, but I.M.O. I would think it is almost impossible for anyone to understand how much stress and angst problems with sensors causes, unless you wear one and come face to face with the enormity of the problem when these suckers don't do what they are supposed to do and when the help lines don't do what they are supposed to do. These sensors are not a pair of shoes that don't fit properly, or a haircut that has gone bad, they are highly specific, extremely important medical devices and to just say, well, we will send you a new one, free, because we are so kind and by implication, "you should feel grateful", is codswallop. How's about a concerted effort to help, guide, direct and drill down to find out what the problem maybe , then in partnership with the poor soul wearing said sensor, at least attempt to fix the issue, without all the weaving and dodging that now goes on.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Totally agree, the amount of times I have asked why are they failing so often.....stock answer being "just send it back"
I think they just throw them in the bin...

Last edited:

Jon78

When my wife's sensor fails I use the online support form. I keep a file with the info they need, Phone type , operating software etc etc. Much easier than phoning. However with the last failure I got a message asking for all the info again! I said that they had all the info but they came back with yes but not the second sensor! So I said there is no second sensor you have confused us with a different customer.They went quiet after that!

• Funny