Libre adhesive skin reactions

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had my beloved freestyle Libre since October 14 but just recently I've been having horrendous skin reactions to the sensors. The last 3 have come off after only 4-5 days due to my skin literally weeping underneath. Can anyone advise anything I can do about this? Ideally a barrier of some kind I could apply before the sensor goes on.
The Libre helps my control so much I really don't want to be without it.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also suffer from the skin reactions. Here is a summary of the most commonly suggested ways to try to overcome it:

1) Apply a medium size Compeed blister plaster to your chosen location and fire the sensor over the top. HOWEVER, this is risky because sometimes the sensor fails to penetrate through the plaster ... I used to be fine with this method but lately every single one was failing on insert so now I use method (2)..ALSO, Compeed can lose stickiness after a few days so you'll likely need to cover it in the second week (I use Opsite over the top).

2) Put the sensor applicator on top of a medium Compeed and draw around it with a pen/pencil. Pierce a circle in the middle for the needle to go through. Apply as above. HOWEVER, some people still get the reaction when they pierce a hole AND from my experience the sensors are less accurate when a hole has been pierced in the Compeed.

3) Try a barrier cream / spray (never worked for me and actually made it worse) - e.g. Cavilon or SkinTac wipes. Neither worked for me.

Good luck!

TimWJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will just comment on the Compeed method. I have been successfully using this for 6 months. I use a 4mm leather punch to make a hole in the plaster but generally very similar technique to that described in this thread. I also make use of a mirror to help in aligning the applicator to the circle.

I still get a reaction under the 4mm hole, it is very visible when I remove the sensor, barely visibly after 2 weeks and gone after 4. However this is the only apparent side effect, I have not noticed any itching or discomfort.

The compeed does not adhere very well, and I find that the edge of the plaster (and thus sensor) often starts to lift before the 2 weeks is up. When this happens I cover the whole thing in a square of Opsite. Starting with my current sensor I now put the Opsite on immediately when I apply the sensor.

Until 6 weeks ago I have not noticed any decrease in accuracy. But the last 3 sensors have all given accuracy problems always on the low side (1-3mmol), I think the start of problems on these sensors has coincided with the compeed lifting. The current sensor is 1 week in and just fine.

Good luck.

Tim