Libre fell off!

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was really getting on well with my freestyle sensor - loving the freedom to scan anywhere ! Only had it on since Friday and this luchtime got changed and the ruddy thin pinged off !! Soooo disappointed (even though it estimated by HBA1C as 5.7 when it was officially tested last week at 7% !!). Might have to give up on it as I'm allergic to ALL plasters and tape or anything sticky......HATEFUL ! :banghead::banghead::banghead::arghh::arghh::mad::mad:

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Speak with Abbott. They are very understanding and may send a replacement. I expect they will have some suggestions as how you can secure it better.

I have considered the 'tacky' bandage that vets use on animals. No adhesive. I reckon it might work well. No idea what it's called.

FWIW I use C-view dressings.

D

Deleted Account

I have considered the 'tacky' bandage that vets use on animals. No adhesive. I reckon it might work well. No idea what it's called.
Do you mean VetRap?
The Libre consultant who gave me a free trial suggested VetRap. Not used it myself (because I didn't go for the Libre) but sounded like a good idea.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes agree with @barrym the adhesive isn't always substantial enough for the sensor so it warrants a complaint, they should sort this for you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a bit late for the one that pinged off I suppose. I once lost one through careless removal of my T shirt the shoulder seam of which scraped my arm clean.

I now wear a piece of sports tubular stretchy bandage and have had no problems since. Mind you I still take a lot more care when removing my T shirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: charliebarker

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost a couple - two in really hot weather and after a shower -- one for no apparent reason. All replaced no problem.
They recommended skin tac wipe - which is like no more nails for the skin! After two weeks in the sun, sea, pool every day multiple times, hot and sweaty - showers with abandon - it never showed any sign of coming off - brilliant.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean VetRap?
The Libre consultant who gave me a free trial suggested VetRap. Not used it myself (because I didn't go for the Libre) but sounded like a good idea.

Brought some vetRap, wore it for about an hour and got all red and itchy! I suffer from pressure hives, so I thought it might not work for me. Am awaiting delivery of the skin tac wipe to see if that works...otherwise I might have to abandon it ! :(

D

Deleted Account

Brought some vetRap, wore it for about an hour and got all red and itchy! I suffer from pressure hives, so I thought it might not work for me. Am awaiting delivery of the skin tac wipe to see if that works...otherwise I might have to abandon it ! :(
Sorry about the Vet Rap. Good luck with the SkinTac.
I use it for my pump cannula as an itch barrier (don't seem to have a problem with that coming off). Seems to work for the two to three days before my set change but towards the end of the third day, something starts to itch. It maybe the bit of skin under my cannula that I missed with the wipes, it may be "just" the bit of the cannula that sticks into me (this definitely irritates) or the SkinTac may have limited barrier life for me.
Fingers crossed they solve your Libre woes and your crossed fingers remain prick-free (or at least less pricked).

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

We have used vetRap for my son. We used to cover the arm with cotton tubular from one of the pound stores are wrap that round first so arm isn't in direct contact with VetRap.

As his is only 7 we have started using a sweatband but only an option at a young age. Have also used a cut up sock.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have used vetRap for my son. We used to cover the arm with cotton tubular from one of the pound stores are wrap that round first so arm isn't in direct contact with VetRap.

As his is only 7 we have started using a sweatband but only an option at a young age. Have also used a cut up sock.
Do you have to take it all off to shower?

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Doesn't normally have any issues with it staying on, normally use sweatband/sock first night, PE, gymnastics, swimming, baths etc. If it gets wet it is changed.

If you wanted to something 24/7 then I would take off for showers otherwise it will get wet and possible stay wet for hours. Alternatively change after shower.