Libre frustrations!!

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok, so I love the libre! Really enjoy using it and I think it's fab!

My only trouble is the fall out ALL THE TIME! What am I doing wrong! I put one in on Sunday and went upstairs to change my top, before I looked in the mirror (half an hour after it was put in) and it was hanging out of my arm!!! I managed to salvage it for a week by using some bioclusive... I played hockey today and went to scan it at half time (really chuffed it had lasted so long!) and it wouldn't work... I lifted my sleeve and it was hanging out of my arm!! It's so frustrating! Does anyone else have this problem, I don't think the last 4 I have used have lasted me more than a week!

During this time I haven't used any moisturiser close to it and it hasn't been knocked in any way! What can I do to get them to last longer, I don't get them all the time because I can't afford it and I'm now considering not bothering at all! I have an omnipod too and this lasts no problem!!

D

Diabeticliberty

I have had issues myself with them falling off. I know some users use Tegaderm which is a surgical tape to stick them down a bit better. I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I use a large 3m waterproof plaster which you can buy off eBay, the plaster stays on for the duration of the sensor however I change it a couple of times, works a treat, but do complain to Abbott about this as it is effectively a faulty sensor if it cannot stay on your arm.

Alsmum

My only trouble is the fall out ALL THE TIME! What am I doing wrong! I put one in on Sunday and went upstairs to change my top, before I looked in the mirror (half an hour after it was put in) and it was hanging out of my arm!!! I managed to salvage it for a week by using some bioclusive... I played hockey today and went to scan it at half time (really chuffed it had lasted so long!) and it wouldn't work... I lifted my sleeve and it was hanging out of my arm!! It's so frustrating! Does anyone else have this problem, I don't think the last 4 I have used have lasted me more than a week!

During this time I haven't used any moisturiser close to it and it hasn't been knocked in any way! What can I do to get them to last longer, I don't get them all the time because I can't afford it and I'm now considering not bothering at all! I have an omnipod too and this lasts no problem!!
Hi
My son has used LIBRE sensors since April. He is a sticky ,sweaty sort of 14 year old, and I found that using 'vet wrap' is just enough support to sensor adhesive to make them last the full 14 days. Good thing about vet wrap is that it sticks to itself and not the sensor. It's available in choice of colours and widths. Al uses the wider width as says this is most comfortable. Beware of the white vet wrap- looks suspiciously like a bandage and was more obvious than the hot pink he chose! Good luck.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I swear by skin tac wipe and it was recommended by Libre the second time one fell off.
I have used all the plasters and tegederm, they all work to a large degree but having skin tac wipe means that when you come to removing it - well it is like a limpet stuck on- brilliant.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had the pleasure of using around 8 of them, second one showed sign of budging slightly as noticed a little greyness on day 8 from the sticky edge so took some precaution and started using some tape. Stopped applying that at around 10 days of the sensor as i checked it and it was stuck solid and it stayed on the rest of the time no problem. I had a few failed ones after that (doa and reading way off) that I needed to remove within 2 days and they were not easy in the slightest. In fact quite uncomfortable they had stuck so well. After that I've always needed someone to help peeling them off as they are not easy with one hand.

I used to shower before applying one. Dry and then allow myself to naturally dry for a good 10 mins before covering my arm with a t-shirt or clothes. Rub with the wipe, let that dry whilst I then loaded up the sensor taking my time again to let the alcohol wipe completely dry and removing any excess oils left after the shower. Then take it easy for 10/20 mins, not lifting anything heavy or doing anything strenuous. All where applied through over summer on fairly warm days. Luckily mine fell around tea time so slightly cooler and not mid day. My dB nurse said they are known to have issues if your a little clammy when applying and if it's really hot and humid so that's why I took extra care applying them.

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had the pleasure of using around 8 of them, second one showed sign of budging slightly as noticed a little greyness on day 8 from the sticky edge so took some precaution and started using some tape. Stopped applying that at around 10 days of the sensor as i checked it and it was stuck solid and it stayed on the rest of the time no problem. I had a few failed ones after that (doa and reading way off) that I needed to remove within 2 days and they were not easy in the slightest. In fact quite uncomfortable they had stuck so well. After that I've always needed someone to help peeling them off as they are not easy with one hand.

I used to shower before applying one. Dry and then allow myself to naturally dry for a good 10 mins before covering my arm with a t-shirt or clothes. Rub with the wipe, let that dry whilst I then loaded up the sensor taking my time again to let the alcohol wipe completely dry and removing any excess oils left after the shower. Then take it easy for 10/20 mins, not lifting anything heavy or doing anything strenuous. All where applied through over summer on fairly warm days. Luckily mine fell around tea time so slightly cooler and not mid day. My dB nurse said they are known to have issues if your a little clammy when applying and if it's really hot and humid so that's why I took extra care applying them.

Thank you, I'm just wondering about the skin tac wipe, I was told not to use them around the area the cannula goes in on my pod as it forms a barrier the needle may not be able to penetrate? Do you not find this with the libre and skin tacs? I can be pretty accurate where I put the wipe with my pod, but you can't with the libre x

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone! I will try these suggestions! Just been getting a bit down with them! Normally I'd have them on the second i received them, but this last one sat in my cupboard a week because I just couldn't be bothered!

I need a solution because if I get pregnant again, which we're currently trying to do, my local diabetes charity fund libres for type one diabetics for the duration of their pregnancy x x

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I'm a big libre fan too! As well as the washing, alcohol swipes stuff, I always shave the back of my arm before I put one on. I've not got particularly hairy arms, but when I had a close look, there was still a fine peach fuzz, some random hairs. That stuff growing under the sensor ain't gonna help it sticking on, so best to razor it off. I'll normally stick a Molnlycke Mepore 7 x 8 plaster over it to be on the safe side.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as not using moisturiser, I also exfoliate before putting the sensor on. Nothing fancy -some of the fancy potions have oils in them. I just make sure my upper arm has been wet for a few minutes and then rub it vigously with one of those shower scrub things.

It just makes sure you arent sticking the sensor onto a layer of dead skin that is wanting to fall off soon.

Reactions: becca59

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you, I'm just wondering about the skin tac wipe, I was told not to use them around the area the cannula goes in on my pod as it forms a barrier the needle may not be able to penetrate? Do you not find this with the libre and skin tacs? I can be pretty accurate where I put the wipe with my pod, but you can't with the libre x

Only thing I've ever been told about alcohol wipes is not to use on your fingers when lancing as can create a dryer/harder skin on that area and could making lancing to draw blood a lot harder and maybe even more painful. This is obviously using them regularly not the odd one in the hospital or with a paramedic. Hand wash or even a finger in mouth should suffice (if not crunching a dextrose) in an emergency for finger tests.

This is the most important part of applying your sensor even after having a shower and cleaning your skin. The alcohol removes the remaining oil from that area of the skin and gives the adhesive the best change of clinging on, once there on, there on usually. It would be like any diy job, miss a step and it could go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Ps from November we all should be able to have libre on the NHS with our local health authorities approval.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

cannula sites can become troublesome on their own as scar tissue can build up in that area, I'm happy with my nova rapid in my pen. We have to have something left to do. That's a bit of morning humour there, yes it's a pain if you forget your pen or loose the begger, happened twice in 17 years. I have plenty of lovely injection sites for my lovely pen. I'd be scar tissue in no time, nothing of me..