Libre GP Prescription Issue

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Guys, please reach out to Partha Kar (You can search for him and find an email address - he is NHS Engalnd) if you are having issues accessing Libre - it's his baby and he is thoroughly fed up with the access issues.

Reactions: enzina

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SpeakN I believe all Type 1s are supposed have access to a hospital consultant.
I echo @tim2000s advice re Partha Kar. Anyone trying to delay or wriggle out of the new guidelines will be a red rag to a bull to him. He has worked so hard to get them off the ground.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh dear.
That’s really bad. I don’t know the name of the consultant chap who was there on Wednesday (at the back near nurse rooms) but he was confident that I would/should get on prescription even though I already have relatively good control and no massive reduction in HbA1c (7.5% to 6.7%) since using Libre over the last 3 years and do very few finger pricks now given that I takes 14-16 readings a day from sensor via phone app (recorded on sensor usage bit of app). He agreed that if my ‘records should show’ far fewer peaks and troughs since using Libre and so ‘better’ control that I should qualify. It was indeed Chris who suggested reaching out to him for an assessment rather than waiting for my appointment with Dr P at end of June and certainly came away feeling confident.
At least good to hear that Chris phoned you back, though not so good about his response. Try being more forceful/direct... might be just getting and end to my bringing the subject up at every occasion that they’re keen to get rid of me.
All the best - I wish you well.

Chris phoned me back and said had to be approved by Dr managed to bring my appointment forward to June . So will wait and see.

AndyGW

Good luck Heather.
Calling Chris next week. From what he’s told you I expect he’ll repeat that to me though I’ll ask why the change from what he told me last week. So may end up having to wait until end of June when see Dr P (end of the month and so after you) unless Chris does something beforehand by way of some sort of initial assessment.
Tim/Becca - thanks for the advice, but will see how I get on with nurse and doctor and if no result by end of June will look to reach out to Partha Kar.

Thanks

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it time to start the formal GMC complain process against any GP who is putting a person's health at risk by delaying issuing a Libre when they regs say they should?

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have had to purchase one at £46 fingers so sore and blood sugars so variable hypos also a problem. Phoned diabetes centre again to see if I could purchase one for less at hospital- no joy!
Phoned GP said he could not see how practise could prescribe due to cost, I informed him I meet the criteria however said would have to look into this further. If cleared by hospital. Unbelievable !

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have had to purchase one at £46 fingers so sore and blood sugars so variable hypos also a problem. Phoned diabetes centre again to see if I could purchase one for less at hospital- no joy!
Phoned GP said he could not see how practise could prescribe due to cost, I informed him I meet the criteria however said would have to look into this further. If cleared by hospital. Unbelievable !

Which criteria do you think you meet? It should be the consultant that makes the decision and the GP then has to prescribe. All type 1s should have access to a consultant.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN was very honest with me and said she can recommend the technologies available but it's the consultant that can authorise the funding for it. so with libre sensors, as well as insulin, strips etc and insulin pumps, it's the consultant that we need to talk to for these things and if we believe that we meet the criteria, we can argue our case. I feel GP has no power in just prescribing anything fancy to us.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which criteria do you think you meet? It should be the consultant that makes the decision and the GP then has to prescribe. All type 1s should have access to a consultant.
Yeah that's what is happening where I am, I was speaking to my DN on Wednesday about it and she has to have a consultant approve it, so she was busy compiling a list of people and the criteria they fit, for me at least it's now hopefully just a waiting game - my wallet is feeling hopeful.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The NHS national arrangement for funding. Criteria 1, plus previous self funding, etc.
Will await appointment in June.

D

Deleted Account

I have recently been approved for Libre on prescription.
My GP was not involved ... and has not been involved with anything diabetes related. To be honest, since my GP retired 3 years ago (which I only know because there was a note at reception when I last went for blood tests), I don't even know the name of my GP.
My DSN requested proof that I justifiably test at least 8 times a day for a month. I provided this proof by uploading my finger prick readings to Diasend. The DSN passed this on to the consultant and after a couple of weeks the consultant gave his approval by writing to my GP surgery.

So, for my CCG, only a consultant can approve Libre and they need proof that it is required. The DSN can provide a gateway to the consultant but cannot approve themselves.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Freestyle Libre problem can anyone advise?
Having purchased one it began to detach from my arm after second day ! They seem smaller than I recall initially so used plasters to re stick but readings not consistent 5 mmols to 11 mmols in 4 minutes. As needle coming out. Have u had or heard of other having any problems like this? Have seen circular plasters advertised for them are these necessary.
No response so assume no- one ever experienced this. Thanks

Last edited:

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well have just had my appointment at hospital and need for Libre has been thought necessary will now need to wait and see if GP will prescribe as directed. Feeling relieved that need has at last been acknowledged, and hopeful for positive outcome.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck Heather.
Calling Chris next week. From what he’s told you I expect he’ll repeat that to me though I’ll ask why the change from what he told me last week. So may end up having to wait until end of June when see Dr P (end of the month and so after you) unless Chris does something beforehand by way of some sort of initial assessment.
Tim/Becca - thanks for the advice, but will see how I get on with nurse and doctor and if no result by end of June will look to reach out to Partha Kar.

Thanks
AndyGW Have you had any luck re Libre ?

Last edited:

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently had a libre.
I have had to attend 2 workshops.
3rd in July.
Meet criteria set by NHS to obtain it FREE
It's a great piece of kit however ...
Not 100% converted.
Not accurate all the time but it has helped identify spikes lows and basically made me look at what foods cause problems

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like a good start. Thanks for response. Do u have it linked to your phone?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently had a libre.
I have had to attend 2 workshops.
3rd in July.
Meet criteria set by NHS to obtain it FREE
It's a great piece of kit however ...
Not 100% converted.
Not accurate all the time but it has helped identify spikes lows and basically made me look at what foods cause problems

Nice, sometimes you have to finger prick to confirm your highs and lows. I gave it 24hrs to settle before activating it as well

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I do
The readings aren't 100 % if my bg on acu chek is 6.7 libre van come in .5 higher or lower
Yes I am now using libre 1 week and prescribed by GP I find mine do too, as blood tested is higher with libre but should be similar to finger test in approx 20- 30 mins . Mine vary too, lower with libre more variation when hypo. Inform pump of .5 higher when taking insulin. Not doing now . Now finding reads very helpful via Diasend easier to see patterns but vary depends on how active I am.

Last edited:

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the course we were told libre is 10 to 15 minutes behind actual finger prick tests.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Heathero