Libre metre

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetic nurse has very kindly given me one to trial for 14 days.
Ive been type 1 for 48 plus years.
Id like to know the cheapest way to get the sensors as worcestershire nhs does not subistise them .. makes me so cross. I work have done all me life all id like is these to help manage my control alot better.
Help appreciated

Reactions: Alison54321

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sweetbinty . Welcome to the forum.
48 yrs now that's impressive. Where have you been hiding?
Not a libre user myself but they are always being discussed here.
Boots, Superdrug and Asda all seem to be supplying/ selling them. Apparently Abbots are not selling direct to new customers at moment. Supply's can be difficult unless you use the high street stores.
I'm sure some libre users will be along with more help and advice.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe Superdrug sell them at £35 (I don't have one that's not a PITA to get to so can't confirm), I get mine from the Asda pharmacy near me for £44.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Id like to know the cheapest way to get the sensors

Welcome to the forum. As you can imagine, making them prescribable and then the CCGs can't fund them is a bone of contention. Sadly that's how the NHS is going.

Find a Superdrug pharmacist, they are presently selling at what I assume is cost to the NHS, i.e. £35. I just bought two yesterday and apart from UPS messing up the delivery to the store it's easier and cheaper than buying from Abbott. My local Boots had been charging me just under £50, I can't speak for Asda.

I hope Superdrug don't start thinking "If the others are charging £50, then we can . . . . . .". Doesn't bare thinking about.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in Edinburgh, and they're being prescribed on the NHS. It's great, I find it extremely useful, but of course I do still need test strips sometimes.

The Worcestershire CCG position statement is here, really pathetic. I've read a few that say no, and they are equally short sighted.

http://education.worcestershire.nhs.uk/weekly-brief/2017/1-november-2017/#8

A letter to your MP might be fun.

I think you can buy the sensors in some places for £35, I think Boots, and Superdrug, are selling them at that price, if I recall correctly. Hopefully someone who knows more will come along. This isn't too bad, but it's ridiculous that you have to pay.

But don't forget the letters of complaint to your MP. see if you can get all your friends, and family, to write as well.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is this 35 each ?
Do you need a prescription ?
Yep £35 each and no you don't need a prescription, I know in Asda I do have to sign a form to get it VAT free - don't know what you'd have to do in Superdrug

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've read a few that say no, and they are equally short sighted.

It would be interesting to see exactly what the situation is in all the CCGs. My general impression from what various forum members have said is that you are very lucky in Edinburgh. I think my CCG (Bucks) will prescribe under certain circumstances.

While most of us on this forum (all of us really) are compos mentis, I remember the problems the staff at my mother's care home had testing dementia residents with diabetes. Absolute nightmare, and several times a day. Luckily my mum had other problems.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Sweetbinty , like the others say, Superdrug seems to be ahead of the others at the moment pricewise, so maybe worthwhile making a few enquiries at any near you.

It's a postcode lottery at the moment on the prescription front. Many ccgs are citing lack of clinical data and seem to be playing a waiting game until formal data turns up.

I'm pretty sure one of the things they'll be watching is how it's playing out in other areas which have taken a more liberal approach.

Wales and Northern Ireland have been fine with it, and, like @Alison54321 , I'm fortunate enough to live in Edinburgh, where NHS Lothian decided to basically give it to any T1 who wanted it.

One of the interesting things which the consultant who led the short induction session I went to said was that they weren't that bothered about lack of clinical data, they just knew how hard T1 is to manage, if they were T1, they'd want it, so they couldn't in good faith deny it to us.

I suspect that he took that view because, despite lack of formal peer reviewed clinical data, the consultants were seeing so many libre self-funders on the ground at reviews saying, look, I'm paying for this myself, I'm more motivated, see how my a1c is down, with fewer hypos, see how the AGP graph I get from it tells me way more about what's going on than your basic a1c number does etc. etc...

I don't know how the NHS works (some parts of the NHS doesn't seem to know how it works either!) but I think self-funders can play a part in this by printing out their AGP graph and the various reports that libre can produce, taking them along to consultations, so that when the doc says, ok, your a1c is x, you can then say, ok, here's why, here's some graphs.

Docs like this stuff, they like seeing more information and seeing that patients are becoming more actively involved in management, so I think it does no harm at all for self-funders to do this.

It's bound to eventually filter down from the docs seeing us to the bean counters that it does make a difference, which will likely make a longer term saving in the costs of treating complications.

In Scotland, the Scottish Health Technologies Group is doing a report on it in June and some areas are hanging fire till that's out. I imagine there's similar things going on in England.

I think it's only a matter of time before ccg executives all over the country do a face-palm and say, duh, this is obvious, why didn't we fund this sooner.

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your responses
Boots and superdrug do not do the sensors so its back to my drs and a costly bill monthly

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @Sweetbinty , like the others say, Superdrug seems to be ahead of the others at the moment pricewise, so maybe worthwhile making a few enquiries at any near you.

It's a postcode lottery at the moment on the prescription front. Many ccgs are citing lack of clinical data and seem to be playing a waiting game until formal data turns up.

I'm pretty sure one of the things they'll be watching is how it's playing out in other areas which have taken a more liberal approach.

Wales and Northern Ireland have been fine with it, and, like @Alison54321 , I'm fortunate enough to live in Edinburgh, where NHS Lothian decided to basically give it to any T1 who wanted it.

One of the interesting things which the consultant who led the short induction session I went to said was that they weren't that bothered about lack of clinical data, they just knew how hard T1 is to manage, if they were T1, they'd want it, so they couldn't in good faith deny it to us.

I suspect that he took that view because, despite lack of formal peer reviewed clinical data, the consultants were seeing so many libre self-funders on the ground at reviews saying, look, I'm paying for this myself, I'm more motivated, see how my a1c is down, with fewer hypos, see how the AGP graph I get from it tells me way more about what's going on than your basic a1c number does etc. etc...

I don't know how the NHS works (some parts of the NHS doesn't seem to know how it works either!) but I think self-funders can play a part in this by printing out their AGP graph and the various reports that libre can produce, taking them along to consultations, so that when the doc says, ok, your a1c is x, you can then say, ok, here's why, here's some graphs.

Docs like this stuff, they like seeing more information and seeing that patients are becoming more actively involved in management, so I think it does no harm at all for self-funders to do this.

It's bound to eventually filter down from the docs seeing us to the bean counters that it does make a difference, which will likely make a longer term saving in the costs of treating complications.

In Scotland, the Scottish Health Technologies Group is doing a report on it in June and some areas are hanging fire till that's out. I imagine there's similar things going on in England.

I think it's only a matter of time before ccg executives all over the country do a face-palm and say, duh, this is obvious, why didn't we fund this sooner.

The CCGs are local groups of clinicians, and lay members. It's not clear what the pathway of accountability is. They are answerable to the secretary of state, and NHS England has a responsibility to ensure they are fit for purpose, but there doesn't seem to be any clear method of questioning their decisions. Which is why I think putting pressure on the Secretary of State, and NHS England, via MPs is probably a good way forward.

MPs get scared when a lot of people write letters about the same issues, and this sort of pressure can be useful.

Obviously offering data to your hospital consultant is also useful, as it might be helpful to them, if they want to make the case for Freestyle Libre. But I still think a bit of shaming is a good idea here. No one elected these people, there do not appear to be accountable for their decision making, so what else can be done?

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive googled on superdrug and its saying not found.
Clearly midlands dont have them

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's not clear what the pathway of accountability is

I've given up trying to understand the politics of these things!

I work for a statutory body which is technically independent of the Government, but is funded by it, and has to report to it periodically, and it can statutorily change our rules of engagement.

What happens from time to time is that the Government is sitting there minding it's own business on a particular matter, then coal-face workers dealing with actual real live cases on the ground spot an issue X which will maybe have consequences Y if not dealt with, and then that input will either get dealt with internally, or might get escalated to a Minister's aide if it's a biggy.

Sometimes it's ignored, sometimes it's not, but I mention it because sometimes some subtle input from people dealing with real live cases can influence policy further up the decision chain.

I agree that there's a place for noising up MPs, provided it's articulate arguments, instead of green ink fury, but there's also a a place for subtle hints and nudges with those treating us on the ground.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've given up trying to understand the politics of these things!

I work for a statutory body which is technically independent of the Government, but is funded by it, and has to report to it periodically, and it can statutorily change our rules of engagement.

What happens from time to time is that the Government is sitting there minding it's own business on a particular matter, then coal-face workers dealing with actual real live cases on the ground spot an issue X which will maybe have consequences Y if not dealt with, and then that input will either get dealt with internally, or might get escalated to a Minister's aide if it's a biggy.

Sometimes it's ignored, sometimes it's not, but I mention it because sometimes some subtle input from people dealing with real live cases can influence policy further up the decision chain.

I agree that there's a place for noising up MPs, provided it's articulate arguments, instead of green ink fury, but there's also a a place for subtle hints and nudges with those treating us on the ground.

Yes. The CCG's were created under Lansley's reforms, to replace primary care trusts, so they're quite new. The varied response to funding freestyle libre raises interesting questions about whether their existence is going to create more anomalies between different areas, which can't be a good thing.

Apparently Partha Kar, who is associate national clinical director for diabetes, whatever that is, has written to the CCGs, asking them to give careful consideration to giving them to people who need them.

http://diabetestimes.co.uk/nhs-issue-letter-addressing-freestyle-funding-policies/

But some are just not doing it. So this is a case of this the more local bodies ignoring the advice of the national body, rather than the other way around.

It looks like a bit of a mess to me, I suspect the top down advice might need to be a little more forceful. But I think it's just a matter of time.

Very pleased I live in Edinburgh.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I wonder if someone in your local Superdrug store would help you. Ask if you can order from the nearest Superdrug chemist and then have them sent to your local store? I don’t know if they’ll do this but it’s worth a try. Asda were charging £48 each, and the £13 saving at Superdrug is not to be sneezed at!
You’ll need to prove that you have T1, either through an exemption certificate or with a letter from your doc.
Good luck.