Libre People miss the point

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Celsus I'm imagining screwing a gybe up with that foil and the hi speed catapult it would create!

They weren't like that in my day :p
Yeah, you feel like torn into pieces when that happens and then run over by a truck.
I am the 'all or nothing' kind of guy, so tend to still be in my trapeze when that catapult happens...

Now I noticed that you also sailed in trapeze, so ehhh.
The worst kind of catapult I still think we experience from time to time is the one when you are sat comfortable in your trapeze, standing legs stretched out on the catamaran hull. You are going fast, planning, life is beautiful! And then a wave makes you take off just slightly. Your catamaran nose dives front first into the next wave front. Stops abruptly, flips forward. Trapeze line sling-shoots both you and your partner fast forward ahead of the boat. The pull in your harness is wild. Thought I was going to die first time that happened to me. :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you ever been ice-sailing? I haven't (chickened out when I had the chance), but it's even more spectacular.

I watched a few videos of ice-yachts a few years back. Insane. Recall reading something about the larger ones accelerating faster than Formula 1 cars, when they bear off from a beat to a close reach (although with the speeds they go, the apparent wind is always so upfront, I don't know how they tell the difference!). I'll maybe leave those to the youngsters!

Reactions: Celsus

cool_blonde212003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree the information I can get from the libre and use it to make informed decisions about managing my condition is invaluable. The number of times I go hypo in the night and don’t wake up is frightening! However, having this information helps me address the causes of the hypos. Without the libre I would have never known this was happening. Unfortunately, my CCG don’t allow the prescribing of libre sensors and l’m self funding although I don’t know for how long i’ll be able to afford to do this.

I have only been using libre for 2 months but already see improvements and am worried that if I can’t afford the sensors my understanding and management of my condition will deteriorate

jojo broadie

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All,

I thought i would quickly give my summary to what the libre allows me to do vs the negative comments it receives.

I used to do around 8 to 10 blood glucose measurements a day. I count carbs and dose to around 1- 10 insulin carb. I also take Lantus at a night. I take part in alot of cycling events, taking around 6-8 hours at a time and commute on a bike when possible.

What the libre has taught me is invaluable. It has shown me information that has already allowed me to alter ratios of insulin, exercise affect on my body, and what is happening at night!

People view the libre as inaccurate. I say it is doing a better job. Before if i felt hypo i would eat or test. So sometimes i would guess that I am having a hypo, other times i would test only to see it was around 5-6! With the libre i can see if it is dropping even if it is 5 (remembering it has a lag). Either way, now i can test every time and have an indication as to what is going on.

The biggest value i have found is that it takes the guess work out of what happens in-between usually doing only 8 sugars a day. It now shows the fatty pizza I had has longer affects than pasta and meatballs for tea. It shows what happens when i have a pint of beer. It shows what happens when i intensely exercise vs light exercise. All this information allows me to make more informed decisions around doses, what i eat, and what are my daily patterns that i usually would not know. It shows how sensitive i am to insulin at different times of the day and that my actual carb insulin ratio changes from morning to afternoon. 1.3:10 in the morning and 0.9:10 in the evening.

All in all my experience of the libre has done nothing but improve my knowledge of my own diabetes and finally shows me where and what I am doing wrong.

All this I am planning on reducing my HbA1c to the targeted 50!
hi there can you tell me where I can purchase the Libre System in UK ....thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there can you tell me where I can purchase the Libre System in UK ....thank you
Hi Jojo,
you have asked your question on a relatively old thread. If you start a new thread your question will be seen by more people.
Good luck!

D

Deleted Account

The number of times I go hypo in the night and don’t wake up is frightening! However, having this information helps me address the causes of the hypos. Without the libre I would have never known this was happening.
Are you sure all the night time hypos are really hypos?
If you put pressure on the Libre (e.g. lying on it whilst you sleep) it has a tendency to report low.
If you see lots of night time lows, it may be a good idea to set an alarm and do a finger prick test to confirm.

I am not saying the Libre is not valuable and agree with the OP that the value does not come from individual scans but by using the graphs to see cause and effects and trends.
I liken using the Libre for "spot readings" to having a smart phone and only using it to make phone calls. You may as well have an old Nokia and play Snake.

Reactions: richyb

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
Hi All,

I thought i would quickly give my summary to what the libre allows me to do vs the negative comments it receives.

I used to do around 8 to 10 blood glucose measurements a day. I count carbs and dose to around 1- 10 insulin carb. I also take Lantus at a night. I take part in alot of cycling events, taking around 6-8 hours at a time and commute on a bike when possible.

What the libre has taught me is invaluable. It has shown me information that has already allowed me to alter ratios of insulin, exercise affect on my body, and what is happening at night!

People view the libre as inaccurate. I say it is doing a better job. Before if i felt hypo i would eat or test. So sometimes i would guess that I am having a hypo, other times i would test only to see it was around 5-6! With the libre i can see if it is dropping even if it is 5 (remembering it has a lag). Either way, now i can test every time and have an indication as to what is going on.

The biggest value i have found is that it takes the guess work out of what happens in-between usually doing only 8 sugars a day. It now shows the fatty pizza I had has longer affects than pasta and meatballs for tea. It shows what happens when i have a pint of beer. It shows what happens when i intensely exercise vs light exercise. All this information allows me to make more informed decisions around doses, what i eat, and what are my daily patterns that i usually would not know. It shows how sensitive i am to insulin at different times of the day and that my actual carb insulin ratio changes from morning to afternoon. 1.3:10 in the morning and 0.9:10 in the evening.

All in all my experience of the libre has done nothing but improve my knowledge of my own diabetes and finally shows me where and what I am doing wrong.

All this I am planning on reducing my HbA1c to the targeted 50!

I would love to a agree with you ...and I so do .....
but as they won’t even sell me a unit or patch...nor have they said we can have it in our location ....SE London .....
am not able to to say if the unit is good or bad .... however.....

I will say this ..... am so Jel !!!!!

If I had that kinda data ...... Maybe just maybe I would not have a Hab1c of a 100 for last three years (it’s is now below and at 96....)
But that kinda data I have been trying to work out how to get ....

If anything your post makes me want the patch even more than ever ....

So thanks for such a good post ....

they want me on a pump ... (but no way would I do that) owing to heart + quad by pass... but that kinda data with back up of the test strips ....should make the heart team happy .... and me happy .....

I taken screen shot of ya post .... am showing the heart team and telling them ... it’s this for me ......

Ps still jel you got the patch