Libre persuasion :)

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to persuade a friend to get a Libre, as it is a great piece of tech and much better than strips...
She can get it for free, just like me from the insurance, but doesn't want to, I can't understand why. She says it's too complicated to use it, or she'll know too much or similar nonsense... :banghead:
I think she just doesn't want to go to the clinic to see the endo, because she thinks her control is not all that good...

I'd like you to help me find good arguments to present o_O to persuade her to get it... Maybe someone had a similar experience...

I just can't think of one thing why would the strips be better...

At first I was thinking that maybe it's non of my business, but later I realised that although it might be a bit too intrusive I don't care... :jimlad:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At first I was thinking that maybe it's non of my business, but later I realised that although it might be a bit too intrusive I don't care... :jimlad:

Basically it is none of your business if they don't want to after you have suggested it, you can give a few reasons yes, but if you push it too much it will just be like nagging - and I know at least with myself even if something is going to be better for me, if I'm nagged about it, I will just not consider it and likely go the opposite direction.

It is their choice after all

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I agree if you push it they will resist

All you can do is drop subtle hints once in a while how you’ve seen your endo and how pleased the are

And if asked why say the libre helps

But push no further

Reactions: JustLucky

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to persuade a friend to get a Libre, as it is a great piece of tech and much better than strips...
She can get it for free, just like me from the insurance, but doesn't want to, I can't understand why. She says it's too complicated to use it, or she'll know too much or similar nonsense... :banghead:
I think she just doesn't want to go to the clinic to see the endo, because she thinks her control is not all that good...

I'd like you to help me find good arguments to present o_O to persuade her to get it... Maybe someone had a similar experience...

I just can't think of one thing why would the strips be better...

Hi,

I'm in the camp of "you can't hold a gun to the head" on the issue..

Maybe just by keeping good company with your friend & just doing your "thing" with how you monitor your BG in relation to management might engage a rethink on the benefits..

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
In my experience! I have to agree with the majority here , you have tried but in the end people have to learn from their own mistakes. The old saying of the horse and water is very true ! But eventually the horse has to drink or it won’t survive , I’m not saying that not having a Libre is a mistake but from my personal experience it really does help .

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At first I was thinking that maybe it's non of my business, but later I realised that although it might be a bit too intrusive I don't care..

Hi there, I know some of the replies may seem a little harsh but I have to agree...in a gentle way. There is nothing worse than making it clear to someone you are not interested, but they keep going on. With regards to a Libre, they are not for everyone. Some people know themselves and they know that if they are attached to a device that 'controls' them 24/7 it can end up having a very negative affect. You may think of it as avoidance but if your friend is happy with her current method of managing her diabetes, then that's her choice. At least she's not ignoring it entirely. Some people love knowing every second of the day what their levels are like, but others may see a reading of 7 or 8 or 6 or 10 and feel instantly depressed or a failure, they may feel like giving up unless they see a level of 4 for example. It is not nonsense and that description is a horrible one to level at her. We are all different, you've made your point so I would say leave it there or she may start avoiding you.

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I agree with you all. It's just that it's free and she can always go back to strips after a few months if she doesn't like it.. I wasn't and won't push hard anyway, we'll see what happens... I'll hint once in a while
Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I agree with you all. It's just that it's free and she can always go back to strips after a few months if she doesn't like it.. I wasn't and won't push hard anyway, we'll see what happens... I'll hint once in a while
Thanks

Now, oddly. My boss's son was offered the Libre on the NHS. The conversation came up a couple of weeks back, when he asked?
He didn't know much about them other than I use one & sometimes I "beeped" because of it?
All I could do was explain what it was & how it helps..
His lad is now sporting one since the middle of last week..

Lol, I'm sure my gaffer has more questions..

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks
Interesting that you say '...back to strips...' I use Libre with xDrip+ but I always test with a strip before meals to get the carbs/insulin ratio right. Libre is great but in my case it often shows lower than the reading from test strips. However, I greatly value the information from arrow directions and the alarms via xDrip+.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I think it's a great new medical tech gizmo, but I think the manufacturers should strive for a wrist design.
I'll wear it then. The sleeves get in the way, and the advertising about how backward sticks are, is, well advertising.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting that you say '...back to strips...' I use Libre with xDrip+ but I always test with a strip before meals to get the carbs/insulin ratio right. Libre is great but in my case it often shows lower than the reading from test strips. However, I greatly value the information from arrow directions and the alarms via xDrip+.

I have to admit, I do carry my meter with me aswell.. Especially as a driver?
I find the Libre 2 more consistently accurate for me than the first one. But, like the L1 Any lows I get take longer to register on the graph than what my meter says or even how I feel. So, I do prefer the peace of mind on the "fitness to drive" count.

Though most of the time when I have to get behind the wheel (especially in a work's vehicle.) I seem to get a liver dump?

I'm fully hypo awair. & to be fair to the system it's consistently alarmed aprox 5minutes before I feel it.?
The first couple of times with the L2 I thought "am I heck." & hit snooze..
A couple of minutes later? "Oh, hello. I am low.." & the meter confirms. (Somtimes I can drop a little further before the treatment kicks in.)
On the whole, I found it a great gadget for nipping them in the bud.?

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Libre is great, it really helps me in taking little decisions regarding my diet too. I have been personally using it with blucon and it updates me with my sugars every 5 minutes. Not that I am too obsessed with my numbers but a great relief to me is that I dont have to prick myself so often. May be with your friend she doesnt want anything on her all the time which makes her conscious. You have suggested right thing but lets wait for her to realise its importance.