Libre - Self Funding & Some Questions

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I've decided until April to self fund the Libre which I managed to get hold of yesterday. Just have a few questions:

1. For people self funding, how do you go about not paying the VAT? I paid it yesterday as I didn't realise we shouldn't be paying it, so I'm going to ask Tesco if they can amend it next time I buy more. Again if anyone has experience with this it would be appreciated.

2. Almost every pharmacy in a 10 mile radius to my house won't allow non-prescription patients to purchase these - Does anyone have any experience of anywhere they get them. Tesco seems to be helpful so far but would be good to know in the event they stop supplying.

3. What are peoples opinions on discussing this openly with the DSN? My team are really good, but slightly concerned that by funding it myself I may get it denied on prescription when I am eligible from April (I fit most of the criteria), simply because I have demonstrated I can afford it (which is out of desperation)

4. What do people do to secure it? I've got a limb support around it at the moment, but would be good to know what people do in the long term - It seems sturdy but will be attaching a Miao Miao to it shortly and hoping for something to make sure it is completely secure.

Comments appreciated.
Ryan

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1. For people self funding, how do you go about not paying the VAT? I paid it yesterday as I didn't realise we shouldn't be paying it, so I'm going to ask Tesco if they can amend it next time I buy more. Again if anyone has experience with this it would be appreciated.
I get mine from my Asda pharmacy and they have a VAT exemption form to fill in, so I fill one in and sign one every time I go.

2. Almost every pharmacy in a 10 mile radius to my house won't allow non-prescription patients to purchase these - Does anyone have any experience of anywhere they get them. Tesco seems to be helpful so far but would be good to know in the event they stop supplying.
Asda Pharmacies do them (though possibly not all), Superdrugs do them (again possibly not all) , Boots do not

3. What are peoples opinions on discussing this openly with the DSN? My team are really good, but slightly concerned that by funding it myself I may get it denied on prescription when I am eligible from April (I fit most of the criteria), simply because I have demonstrated I can afford it (which is out of desperation)
My DSN is well impressed how I've used mine (she can see the difference in my HBA1c) so says I'm at the top of her list to get them on prescription if possible in April, though admittedly the only criteria I'd be able to use would be the testing 8 times a day - which I'm not doing whilst using said Libre, so don't know if I'd get them anyways - currently no-one in my CCG gets one (according to their statement).

4. What do people do to secure it? I've got a limb support around it at the moment, but would be good to know what people do in the long term
They stick to me like superglue so I'm never had problems with them sticking - getting them off me has been a bigger issue.[/QUOTE]

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I ordered straight from Abbot. You click a checkbox to say you don't want to pay the VAT. They're generally secure, but sometimes the odd one will get a bit loose towards the end of its life. I've got a stack of patches from a company called A Silly Patch, which go over the top of them to secure.

D

Deleted Account

Re: question 3, means testing is not one of the criteria for qualifying for a Libre prescription so self funding shouldn't affect your chance.
However, I have tried to go for a half-way solution. My DSN is aware I have Libre but I explain I can only fund "occasional use". For me this is approximately 2 out of every 6 weeks. My logic is to use the Libre to tweak my insulin doses as it is not accurate enough to dose from. The doses should not vary so much I need to wear a Libre all the time.
That is not to say, I would not appreciate full time Libring but there are advantages such as not getting too obsessed by the numbers, giving my arms rest-bite from the sticky stuff to which people build up a reaction and not relying on the Libre in case I can't get hold of them.