1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Libre sensor and airports

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by jillsymes66, Feb 19, 2019.

1. jillsymes66

jillsymes66 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Does anyone have experience of wearing their sensor through airport security please? Do I need a letter from my GP or just the Medical Device Awareness Card? Thanks

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I fly frequently with a pump and a Libre.
    No one has ever commented on the Libre.
    (Shame the same can't be said about the pump.)
    So, I would say no need for a Libre letter or Medical Device Awareness card.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have a generic letter from the GP stating I need to carry diabetic medicine and equipment. Never had any issues and to be honest nobody has even asked to look at the letter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What is a medical device awareness card??? Did I miss something? (again!)

5. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. buckmr2

buckmr2 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Last time I flew I took a GP letter AND a copy of my prescriptions which you get when you collect your prescription.
    All prescriptions had the pharmacys sticky label on with my name and date issued.
    I rang the airline before travelling and gave my details and told them I would be carrying meds including needles on the flights out and back.
    At check in I advised staff I had needles etc and showed them the GP letter.
    Went through the X Ray machine with Libre no problems.
    I decided to get the GP letter and all meds with the labels on (had to reorder a few meds which I'd already removed the pharmacy labels) before going through to make sure there were no issues.
    Might be overkill but it's minimal effort which could save potential issues,delays,expense and inconvenience.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 buckmr2, Feb 21, 2019 at 1:03 AM
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook