1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Libre Sensor .... has this happened to you?

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Ushthetaff, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My latest sensor ended this morning , so I fitted new sensor. However .. “Houston we have a problem “. There new sensor was faulty , when I attached it to my arm , the needle which is used to place the sensor element under the skin snapped off instead of retracting and remained in my arm I removed it an below is a pic of the offending article, to be honest it does sound a bit horrific but it wasn’t that painful , luckily I had another sensor which went on without any further problem, 36B63267-4814-47C9-B0CE-1B1B4FD11DAD.jpeg

2. oldgreymare

oldgreymare Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't use Libre, rather Dexcom G6 for last 9 months. So "injecting" new sensors every 10 days. Had one similar experience last month - injector didn't release properly. Dexcom very responsive and replaced with an additional sensor with a couple of days - hopefully a rare failure for Libre - contact Abbot for a replacement.

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I haven't had that happen before but do make sure you report it to Abbott.
    Looks like the whole thing kinda came apart.

Edit: make sure you keep hold of that sensor, Abbott will want you to send it back (they will send a postage paid envelope with the replacement sensor)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

It hasn't happened to me. (To date.)

But I know @urbanracer has had something like this happen..

Get in touch with Abbott.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ushthetaff

This is the 2 nd time this has happened to me ! I contacted Abbot straight away ,and replacement on its way , to be honest they didn’t seem surprised . . In all fairness time had quite a few sensors fail for different reasons and they’ve always been replaced without a problem

6. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I once removed the applicator to find that the hollow needle had been released and was stuck in the sensor (and my arm)- I pulled the hollow needle out of the sensor and nice trickle of blood oozed out of central hole. Amazed that the sensor worked at all but it only lasted a few days.

7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Ush,

This is just a thought. When applying the sensor could your hand have slipped, knocking the applicator from its perpendicular position? (Briefly.) Which could expose a weakness in the design of the applicator mechanism?

Lol, I'm not suggesting ya broke it. :) & it Is a fast action from lining it up & planting the disk.
    I find with my experience after it's applied, I have to make shure the applicator is square to the sensor or it don't quite release it after its planted?

8. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had one libre with no white piece or needle, Abbott sent new one but they did not sound surprised

9. Ushthetaff

Hi Jaylee
    I don’t think so to be honest I do it that quick I Dinny ken if I would notice , the sensor goes on perfectly well just got this thick needle in my arm also when I remove it it just falls apart . It’s a strange one , still it’s a “ relatively new device so I guess got to break a few eggs to make an omelette lol let’s face it we were taking urine sugars for years like that helped with control .

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook