Libre Sensor .... has this happened to you?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
My latest sensor ended this morning , so I fitted new sensor. However .. “Houston we have a problem “. There new sensor was faulty , when I attached it to my arm , the needle which is used to place the sensor element under the skin snapped off instead of retracting and remained in my arm I removed it an below is a pic of the offending article, to be honest it does sound a bit horrific but it wasn’t that painful , luckily I had another sensor which went on without any further problem,
36B63267-4814-47C9-B0CE-1B1B4FD11DAD.jpeg

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I don't use Libre, rather Dexcom G6 for last 9 months. So "injecting" new sensors every 10 days. Had one similar experience last month - injector didn't release properly. Dexcom very responsive and replaced with an additional sensor with a couple of days - hopefully a rare failure for Libre - contact Abbot for a replacement.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't had that happen before but do make sure you report it to Abbott.
Looks like the whole thing kinda came apart.

Edit: make sure you keep hold of that sensor, Abbott will want you to send it back (they will send a postage paid envelope with the replacement sensor)

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It hasn't happened to me. (To date.)

But I know @urbanracer has had something like this happen..

Get in touch with Abbott.

Reactions: urbanracer

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
This is the 2 nd time this has happened to me ! I contacted Abbot straight away ,and replacement on its way , to be honest they didn’t seem surprised . . In all fairness time had quite a few sensors fail for different reasons and they’ve always been replaced without a problem

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I once removed the applicator to find that the hollow needle had been released and was stuck in the sensor (and my arm)- I pulled the hollow needle out of the sensor and nice trickle of blood oozed out of central hole. Amazed that the sensor worked at all but it only lasted a few days.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the 2 nd time this has happened to me ! I contacted Abbot straight away ,and replacement on its way , to be honest they didn’t seem surprised . . In all fairness time had quite a few sensors fail for different reasons and they’ve always been replaced without a problem

Hi Ush,

This is just a thought. When applying the sensor could your hand have slipped, knocking the applicator from its perpendicular position? (Briefly.) Which could expose a weakness in the design of the applicator mechanism?

Lol, I'm not suggesting ya broke it. :) & it Is a fast action from lining it up & planting the disk.
I find with my experience after it's applied, I have to make shure the applicator is square to the sensor or it don't quite release it after its planted?

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had one libre with no white piece or needle, Abbott sent new one but they did not sound surprised

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Ush,

This is just a thought. When applying the sensor could your hand have slipped, knocking the applicator from its perpendicular position? (Briefly.) Which could expose a weakness in the design of the applicator mechanism?

Lol, I'm not suggesting ya broke it. :) & it Is a fast action from lining it up & planting the disk.
I find with my experience after it's applied, I have to make shure the applicator is square to the sensor or it don't quite release it after its planted?
Hi Jaylee
I don’t think so to be honest I do it that quick I Dinny ken if I would notice , the sensor goes on perfectly well just got this thick needle in my arm also when I remove it it just falls apart . It’s a strange one , still it’s a “ relatively new device so I guess got to break a few eggs to make an omelette lol let’s face it we were taking urine sugars for years like that helped with control .

Reactions: Jaylee