libre sensors

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i am just starting a free 14 day trial. dose anyone have any problems with there sensors staying stuck on.i am all ways knocking my arms. are there other places you can stick them. i dont need to waste £48 and get another bruise.

Reactions: littlebrownbird

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to jump on this thread but I'm in a similar boat. I get my Libre training on the 11th and have the trial pack sitting in my cupboard as we speak.

I was thinking of getting one of the patches that you can put over them to protect them (as I can be a bit clumsy), would anyone suggest a good one that can be bought in the UK?

Reactions: LauraR88

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @DisFanJen as @Lakeslover has said tegarderm is the best cover for the libre, which can be bought on ebay, however take care removing it as it will peel the libre off if you're not careful !

Reactions: KK123

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i am just starting a free 14 day trial. dose anyone have any problems with there sensors staying stuck on.i am all ways knocking my arms. are there other places you can stick them. i dont need to waste £48 and get another bruise.
I put mine on my chest or arms, other people have said they put them on thighs and abdomen. I don't cover them, and have no issues with them coming off my arms, just like to rotate the sites I use. First couple I wore on my arms I knocked on door frames occasionally, but they stick like a limpet to me, so never came off. Hope you find it helpful.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It has been said many times, many ways, ... we are all different.
This includes the stickiness of our skin.

I don't have a problem with my sensors falling off without adding more rubbish to the landfill. My attitude (which has proven true after a couple of years) is if they fell off that easily they would not be fit for purpose and Abbott would have to include a patch in the box.
It is important for me to be careful with my placement - slightly under my arm and on a flat area (they don't bend).
If I place a sensor correctly, I have to prise it off after 14 days.

I have heard bras are the arch nemesis of Libres - more dangerous than door jambs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hello @DisFanJen as @Lakeslover has said tegarderm is the best cover for the libre, which can be bought on ebay, however take care removing it as it will peel the libre off if you're not careful !

I used Kinesiology tape when I was worried about losing the sensor.
The good thing about this tape is that it is like a plaster and has backing tape which you peel off.
So I left a bit of backing tape on where the tape went over the Libre.
This prevented it sticking.

I don't know if Tegaderm has this backing tape, or just comes on a roll like some plasters and sellotape.

I'm doing the same starting today. Not had a problem so far. I did use both alcohol wipes to ensure my skin was oil-free and dry before applying the sensor.

Lakeslover

Tegaderm is clear, and sticky all over. I apply it when I put the sensor on, and just leave it on for as long as the sensor continues to work.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I've found libre2 to be less sticky than libre. They last me a maximum of ten days, then they're hanging on by a couple of hairs. Up 'til now I've just used micropore tape, but this time I've used a tegaderm dressing. Individual dressings with a transparent non-sticky window for the sensor. Six days left to go, and the tegaderm is just peeling at the corners. I figure another couple of days, then trim the tegaderm off and rely on the libre's own stickiness.

Definitely would not last 14 days left to itself on my skin. But we're all different.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think positioning of sensor is the most important factor in whether it gets knocked off, or not.

you could try walking through doors and brushing against the frame to identify where you make contact with the frame. Then simply place the sensor away from that area.

mine go on the back of my arm, not the side. Since using this position, I’ve had no problems.

oh, and I use a Tegaderm style dressing over the top if I’m likely to submerge it for any length of time.

mike.creak

LIBRE SENSORS - I have had the libre 1 for well over 2 years and this is the best thing that has ever happened to type 1 diabetics! Mine rarely falls off. Make sure you clean the area thoroughly before you put in on with the medi wipes provided Just under back of arm so you don't knock it. I initially used to alternate arms but was always knocking off my right arm. It rarely gets knocked on my left arm. I also use it with eth miaomiao which is also brilliant as it tells you at a glance at my watch what my level is and how fast or slow it is going up or down. No scanning required! It alarms when high/low/fast rise/fast fall etc etc My HBA1c has never been better since having had type 1 for 40 years. and no ruined fingers from all those blood prick tests!

Also if it does get knocked off just call Freestyle and they will replace if it isn't close to expiring . They will send you a new one foc and just ask for the other one to be posted back in a prepaid envelope.

Reactions: caretaker

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LIBRE SENSORS - I have had the libre 1 for well over 2 years and this is the best thing that has ever happened to type 1 diabetics! Mine rarely falls off. Make sure you clean the area thoroughly before you put in on with the medi wipes provided Just under back of arm so you don't knock it. I initially used to alternate arms but was always knocking off my right arm. It rarely gets knocked on my left arm. I also use it with eth miaomiao which is also brilliant as it tells you at a glance at my watch what my level is and how fast or slow it is going up or down. No scanning required! It alarms when high/low/fast rise/fast fall etc etc My HBA1c has never been better since having had type 1 for 40 years. and no ruined fingers from all those blood prick tests!

Also if it does get knocked off just call Freestyle and they will replace if it isn't close to expiring . They will send you a new one foc and just ask for the other one to be posted back in a prepaid envelope.
good to know they will replace the sensor

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stick a Libre sized rectangle on the sticky side of the band so it doesn't stick on the Libre....

...stick sticky stick...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Libre change for me involves a shower. I use & alternate the inside of the arms. I exfoliate the site during a shower.
I clean the area with the alcahol wipe & dry with my wife's hair dryer.
Lol, it an old practice working with "3M tape," especially in winter for automotive use? A little warmth helps adhesion.
Then make sure the edges are down.
To date I haven't lost one prematurely. Most need tearing off..

But I can appreciate we all have indevidual skin types..

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

i never had an issue.. they should be on the rear of the arm not side so shouldn't hit too much.. some people have issues with the adhesive, either sweaty or greasy skin types.. my ex always had issues with keeping it on her arms so used her chest and it worked ok

however, they are not tested/designed/licensed for use anywhere other than the rear of the arm

there are armbands holders available...

i sometimes used the compression tube from the pharmacy if i knew there was a risk of it getting snagged..

or some of the medical tapes like tegaderm