Libre with Sony watch. Can sensor be worn close to watch on wrist?

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Hello.
I've got use of the Freestyle Libre for 3 months on trial from local hospital (hopefully get to keep it afterwards).
I want to use it with a Sony Smartwatch 3 (with modified firmware to run NFC) to convert it to a CGM.
Is it possible to attach the Libre sensor to my wrist so the watch can read the data while on my wrist?
YouTube videos show the watch attached to the sensor on the upper arm which would mean having to keep unattaching it everytime I want to see the readings if I get an alert or want to just see what the reading is so defeating some of its practicality.
If the Libre sensor can't be worn on the wrist can a transmitter (Nightrider/MiaoMiao/T-link/etc) be used to send the data to the watch?
Prefer not to use a transmitter due to the extra expense.
Thankyou.

cageyytigers

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wear mine on my upper thigh front and have used my reader through my handbag to read it discreetly. I also keep my reader in pocket and read through the pocket to thigh.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really don't think there is likely to be enough fat on your wrist to be able to put it there, not to mention the risk of knocking it off, and it's a high contact/movement place, so you would definitely need extra adhesive. Even if you could get it on there (which again, i doubt, because there just isn't enough room for the filament) you would be massively increasing the probability of compression lows, every time you rested your wrist on something. Given the density of the vasculature and nerves in the wrist, you would also have to be extremely careful where you sited it, or you could end up in a lot of pain.

You can just use your smartphone to scan it.

As for the transmitter, I have no clue, but @Scott-C probably will.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If the Libre sensor can't be worn on the wrist can a transmitter (Nightrider/MiaoMiao/T-link/etc) be used to send the data to the watch?
Prefer not to use a transmitter due to the extra expense.

Hi, buckmr2, I've got blucon sending to xdrip+ on my phone and then from the phone to a Fossil watch.

xDrip+ has a function which can make it send direct to the watch if the phone is out of range, but in reality it only really works with a few specific watches. Seems to be something to do with the bluetooth implementation in different watch types which is way beyond me.

There's some discussion by the xdrip+ developers at the link below, which has a link in it to supported watches, although it's in a dexcom transmitter context so the story might be completely different for blucon.

I've also linked to their watch set up guide.

Haven't used miaomiao so don't know what the score is with that.

The blucon is £96 and mines is coming up for a years worth of use soon with no sign of packing in, so all in all it was a decent use of the money.

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/blob/master/Documentation/WatchGuide.md

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/wiki/Patching-Android-Wear-devices-for-use-with-the-G5

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I wear mine on my upper thigh front and have used my reader through my handbag to read it discreetly. I also keep my reader in pocket and read through the pocket to thigh.
Not really any good for me trying to get info onto a watch. I've also got a reader and (android) phone but SPECIFICALLY need the watch set up without a reader and ideally without the phone for example when I'm in the gym/pool etc.
Don't want risking (large) phone falling out of my pocket or risk leaving them on gym equipment when I leave etc etc.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I really don't think there is likely to be enough fat on your wrist to be able to put it there, not to mention the risk of knocking it off, and it's a high contact/movement place, so you would definitely need extra adhesive. Even if you could get it on there (which again, i doubt, because there just isn't enough room for the filament) you would be massively increasing the probability of compression lows, every time you rested your wrist on something. Given the density of the vasculature and nerves in the wrist, you would also have to be extremely careful where you sited it, or you could end up in a lot of pain.

You can just use your smartphone to scan it.

As for the transmitter, I have no clue, but @Scott-C probably will.
I'm trying to switch from scanning with the reader or phone (FGM) to having results sent to a smart watch to show BG automatically (CGM) without having to scan and as an added bonus have the watch vibrate or sound if BG's are going low.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Hi, buckmr2, I've got blucon sending to xdrip+ on my phone and then from the phone to a Fossil watch.

xDrip+ has a function which can make it send direct to the watch if the phone is out of range, but in reality it only really works with a few specific watches. Seems to be something to do with the bluetooth implementation in different watch types which is way beyond me.

There's some discussion by the xdrip+ developers at the link below, which has a link in it to supported watches, although it's in a dexcom transmitter context so the story might be completely different for blucon.

I've also linked to their watch set up guide.

Haven't used miaomiao so don't know what the score is with that.

The blucon is £96 and mines is coming up for a years worth of use soon with no sign of packing in, so all in all it was a decent use of the money.

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/blob/master/Documentation/WatchGuide.md

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/wiki/Patching-Android-Wear-devices-for-use-with-the-G5
Thanks for all the info.

As the sensor on the wrist seems to be impractical and I'll advised I think it night work positioned half way up my forearm where there's a little bit more tissue (not as much now I've lost over 10st) and I can see the watch easily.
I'll have a look at the links you posted.
Thanks again.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your best bet is placing the Libre sensor in the normal areas and scanning it with the Sony SW3. Or getting a Blucon or miaomiao bluetooth bridge over the libre which will then send readings direct to a android wear watch and/or phone.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Your best bet is placing the Libre sensor in the normal areas and scanning it with the Sony SW3
It already does that but I was trying to convert it to a CGM so I can get readings without having to scan it.
Don't want to spend £££ on a bluetooth transmitter as the Sony SW3 watch I have uses early firmware to enable NFC and seems pretty basic so not sure which bluetooth transmitters will DEFINATLY work with a this version of watch if any.

I visited my diabetic nurse on Friday who said I can keep the Libre now I've successfully completed a 6 month trial and get it on prescription (it reduced the Hba1c of 19 of the 20 of us on the trial) She also said that Abbott are soon bringing out a Libre sensor with CGM to use with the current Libre reader so might wait for that now. I think they already have CGM libre sensors in India so would be great to have them in the UK too.

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
I don't think the new Libre is cgm. It just has hi and low alarms you will still have to scan to get a reading.
I tried the the Libre - Sony SW3 - phone as a cgm running the early firmware, it does work but wasn't reliable plus battery life of the watch was annoyingly short. It was less hassle just to scan the sensor with the watch.
I'm my opinion the Blucon or Miaomiao offer a much better solution. They do cost a bit but the extra reliability, 2 week battery life and being waterproof is worth it. You should also be able to send BGs direct from Blucon or Miaomiao to a android watch with xdrip+. Handy if you don't carry your phone everywhere.
Do you know if Sony SW3 is still being supported by Sony. I want to update the firmware but can't?