Libre

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it very helpful for identifying trends and it’s also a lot more convenient when out and about walking.

Agree that it’s not a complete replacement for finger pricks, although as an unmedicated type 2, there is no danger to me in a falsely low reading.

At first I found that almost every sensor ran lower than fingerpricks - I test a couple of times when first activating a sensor, and spot check off and on, especially if the sensor readings seem off (after a few years I’ve got a fairly good handle on where I’d expect blood sugars to be in different circumstances). However, recently they’ve either been running high (sometimes substantially so) or pretty close to the finger pricks.

There’s also a time delay - the Libre is measuring interstitial fluid rather than blood and takes a few minutes (10-15) to catch up with finger prick readings from blood.

Its a good investment and you’ll likely learn lots.

I tend to use the reader as it fits in my pocket, but the app works just fine.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @kevsta . I have been using Libre since early April. It is convenient as has been said so can check when out and about e.g. walking. No strips to dispose of. I don't medicate so have no need to base dosages off the readings. Can't say I've learned much about how diet affects my bg that I didn't already know after 5 years but I have noticed how different intensity exercise and odd things like going up and down stairs, household chores and losing my temper impact.

Last edited:

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on my second sensor, it was running a bit low compared to finger prick testing so I called Abbott, they asked a few questions but it was very easy to get a replacement. Should arrive in 5 days.

So far my experience has been positive overall & I would self fund if I have to.