Lidl protein rolls

katie505

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, just discovered my Lidl has these triangular fantastic rolls thanks to this forum. They have loads, 29p each. I tried one, my BG was 6.7 before eating and 6.7 two hours later. I had it toasted and smothered with Philadelphia full fat cheese spread. I read that they are an occasional treat but with these readings does it mean I can have one daily?

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your anti-diabetic medications are working perfectly as expected. Most likely your BMI is also normal too. Keep up with your regular BG checks. Well done!

Reactions: brush

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, just discovered my Lidl has these triangular fantastic rolls thanks to this forum. They have loads, 29p each. I tried one, my BG was 6.7 before eating and 6.7 two hours later. I had it toasted and smothered with Philadelphia full fat cheese spread. I read that they are an occasional treat but with these readings does it mean I can have one daily?
Your bg readings show that you can eat one or more daily. They don't have to be an occaisonal treat, perhaps some do get higher readings.
I recommend having them spread with pate.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have one of these most days for my lunch, usually toasted with some soft cheese but sometimes with home made egg mayonnaise, they don't affect my sugar levels and are really filling and so no need to snack in between lunch and dinner :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have half of one twice a day.

Reactions: Ultramum

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
OOOOOOh, sounds yummy, please tell me more. Are they fresh or frozen and where do I look in the shop to buy them? Have they got a name?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OOOOOOh, sounds yummy, please tell me more. Are they fresh or frozen and where do I look in the shop to buy them? Have they got a name?

They are fresh and found in the fresh bread baskets. They are triangular in shape, dark brown, and full of seeds. They are called High Protein Rolls. About 10g carbs per roll, slightly less.

Reactions: brush

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They freeze well. I cut them in half and freeze them back to back as I find half quite filling. If you freeze them with the cut surfaces together they are high on impossible to separate!

Reactions: katie505 and SueJB

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you - one roll means an increase of about 2 whole number for me - but I think that they are worth it.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They look like this, but they are 29p each now, though sometimes 4 for £1.

LIDL rolls.jpg

Reactions: Salvia

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I read that they are an occasional treat but with these readings does it mean I can have one daily?[/QUOTE]
Yes you can

Reactions: katie505

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some here said their local Lidl was no longer doing the protein rolls. I went to mine today not been for a few weeks and they are still doing them so got some for my husband

Reactions: brush and Prem51

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have 1/2 a roll every day in work spread with butter, a lump of cheese and a hard boiled egg for my lunch. Keeps me full til dinner. Sent hubby to buy some from lidl the other day and said get as many as you can (usually about 8 rolls if I am lucky). He came back with 30 rolls, freezer overflowing with them now, should last me well into the new year. X

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I called in LIDL today and bought 4 hi protein rolls. I weighed them and they were 94gm, 95gm, 105gm and 106gm, so an average of 100gm.
I even managed to slice them into three slices this time, before freezing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are good but you can't really go by how other people react to them to know if you should or could eat them in any quantity or half at a time and not every day - plus I suspect that toasted cheese or a salad sandwich would result in different readings.