Life after burnout

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetic burnout

I had read about it but did not really think it was a credible condition.

Sure, we all hate the discipline of being a diabetic I thought but, inconvenient or not, how can one reach the point of just not caring about being a diabetic and not looking after his condition?

And then that is exactly what happened to me. Or rather, let me rephrase that, this is exactly what I did.

I can't even offer an explanation why? I can't even point at a specific point in time when things changed or a specific event which trigger it off.

There was no such event. No dramatic trigger. Not even a conscious decision.

More a gradual erosion of discipline and a diversion of my focus to other things that seemed more urgent or important.

You realize that you have fallen off the horse but getting back on can always start tomorrow. Only there is always another tomorrow, until days grow into weeks, months years.

I did my best to ignore my diabetes but of course diabetes does not forget about us. It's there working away.

Finally I decided I can not ignore the symptoms any more, the frequent urination, the loss of weight recently the pins and needles in my toes just recently.

So from next Monday I am trying again.

I am measuring my glucose again. That is the most important thing for me. Even I can not ignore something when it stares at me in the face from my glucose meter.

My first reading last Monday was 218mg/dl, that's over 12 mmol; much too high.

So I had to do something about it.

I had to look at my diet and change it. Cut out a lot of the carbs.

I have been doing this for almost a week now. Doing a lot of testing before and after meals as well.

For the last two or three days my readings have been within acceptable range; fasting was 6,1 mmol today.

My challenge is to stick with it, keep the discipline.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Diabetic burnout

Sure, we all hate the discipline of being a diabetic I thought but, inconvenient or not, how can one reach the point of just not caring about being a diabetic and not looking after his condition?

And then that is exactly what happened to me. Or rather, let me rephrase that, this is exactly what I did.

I can't even offer an explanation why? I can't even point at a specific point in time when things changed or a specific event which trigger it off.

More a gradual erosion of discipline and a diversion of my focus to other things that seemed more urgent or important.

You realize that you have fallen off the horse but getting back on can always start tomorrow. Only there is always another tomorrow, until days grow into weeks, months years.

I did my best to ignore my diabetes but of course diabetes does not forget about us. It's there working away.

Finally I decided I can not ignore the symptoms any more, the frequent urination, the loss of weight recently the pins and needles in my toes just recently.

I am measuring my glucose again. That is the most important thing for me. Even I can not ignore something when it stares at me in the face from my glucose meter.

I have been doing this for almost a week now. Doing a lot of testing before and after meals as well.

For the last two or three days my readings have been within acceptable range; fasting was 6,1 mmol today.

Its more you need to ferment it as a new sustainable habit. A new habit takes 6wks to ferment. What is why most diets advertised are the 8wk diet.
I too experienced a nasty burn out but I'm back on track, for now.
I'm going to have bariatric surgery to get a whole new fermented eating habit. From fresh. Eating like a new baby til new egg size stomach can cope with whole foods, except sugary foods cause dumping syndrome so no rice pudding like babies enjoy.
I won't be having rice, sugar and in fact i will be very very liberal with any carbs. Veg might be my only carbs, I haven't decided yet.
I will be fermenting a new eating habit.
The one I have now is helping lose weight but still gives me hunger. Kiddies portions and no rubbish like pastries, cakes, biscuits or breads. Lower carb meals than the rest of the family too. With the correct amount of insulin too.

You are doing the right thing. Well done for challenging your diabetes @pavlosn .
Keep up the good work.
Try and make it as effortless as possible, like brushing your teeth or a shave.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic burnout

Good luck and good work lately I think we can all come into the zone where our health along with bad management or lack of it starts to deteriorate slowly or rapidly . It is so fine we have this forum where we can come back for support and encouragement . Like many in here has been writing diabetes is a Marathon an eternal Marathon so no wonder we collaps somethines even if it is dangerous for us .

I think you are brave admitting your failure here in public and I am sure it hits a lot of people in here that have or have had similar fights and down periods along their journey .

So Thanks for sharing .

I also was much more motivated and fit for fight initially and struggle to keep myself being strickt foodwise on a daily basis now ... But well we do have to look the monster in the face the monster of what can hit us of the most devilishes of adding diseases

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pavlosn and welcome back to the forum,

Great to see you back, and back on track. Your posts and photos were always a delight, and many of us wondered what had happened to you. Wishing you all the best and success in getting back on that horse.

Reactions: pavlosn

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @pavlosn Takes great courage to admit this. Each day is a fresh start so please keep us updated on how you get on, by logging in here means there's lots of online folk to support you :)

Reactions: pavlosn and Chook

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pavlosn great to see your back and ready to resume the fight !
I used to love the photos you posted of your early morning walks and hope you will go so again . I have now returned to the UK after 15 years in Spain so quite a culture shock. We all have our ups and downs it's all part of life's journey . Good luck , look forward to reading your posts again .

Reactions: pavlosn and zand

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome back!
Burnout happens to us all, but the trick is to recognise it, learn from it, dust yourself down and begin again.

I am recently back after a year of ignoring my diabetes. The good news is that in three weeks my blood sugar is back to acceptable levels and I've lost 5kg of the 7kg I gained. It's hard work, but if I can do this, anyone can.
The support from this place is what keeps me motivated, so stay here and keep talking.

Sent from my Pixel using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pavlosn - Welcome back to the fold.

Like others, I have wondered how you've been getting along. Your son must be becoming a strapping young man these days.

I often refer to the forum as having a revolving door. It's surprising how many disappear for all manner or reasons, then come back some time later, for an equally wide range of reasons. I'm sure you'll find plenty of "old friends" still around, although some of us will have gone through a re-branding process.

I'll look forward to reading your posts and hopefully seeing some photos, from your legendary morning walks. I bet at the moment mornings or evenings re the most sensible time to be doing any walking.

Reactions: Deb1million

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hallo again everybody

Thank you for the very warm welcome (back).

It's great to see some familiar names . I hope you are all doing well.

Resuming my morning walls is the next phase of my getting back in the saddle.

Actually have been suffering really badly with disturbed sleeping patterns because of jetlag over the last couple of weeks following a holiday to the States. There are ten time zones between San Francisco and Cyprus.

I now seem to be finally getting over it.

I am fortunate that I have no work over the next four days so we took the opportunity to visit our summer house by the beach.(part of the garden in the photo) I love it hear and I am really excited about getting the opportunity to enjoy the beach. Work and other pressures have so far kept me away.

Also four stress free days during which I can concentrate on being "good" diabetes-wise is just what the doctor ordered.

Speaking of doctor, I will need to make an appointment to see him but I will wait until I have a few more good counts in my sheet before I do that. I am a coward this way

Reactions: Brunneria

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
785d3d9f182e3634f45b88d340fcf48f.jpg

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A good morning to all
8bb022c9e239a98072bd465050475f34.jpg
with a photo of beautiful and sweet smelling frangipani from the garden.

Meter continuing to be kind to me, or perhaps I continue to be kind to it, with a 103 mg/dl (5,7 mmol) fasting count this morning. My first sub 6 count since resuming metering. .

Amazing how happy this makes me!

Have a great Sunday

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Glad you are getting back on the stick.
I know 4 people that never got back on the stick , 3have passed with major complications from never getting back on the stick , and I know 1 person in their 30's not taking care of themselves for years now and having major complications and not taking care of themself and living in the burnout and still not caring for themself with a 10 year old kid.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A good morning to all
8bb022c9e239a98072bd465050475f34.jpg
with a photo of beautiful and sweet smelling frangipani from the garden.

Meter continuing to be kind to me, or perhaps I continue to be kind to it, with a 103 mg/dl (5,7 mmol) fasting count this morning. My first sub 6 count since resuming metering. .

Amazing how happy this makes me!

Have a great Sunday

Lovely, please get back on track and stay there.