Life expectancy for type 3c?

• Thread starter Deleted member 540839
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 540839

Hi all,

I have a loved one that has had type 3c diabetes from birth (she is 23 now) and from what I've read online the life expectancy for chronic pancreatitis seems to be significantly lower than the general population.

Th article attached is an eye-opener in terms of the higher mortality rate for chronic pancreatitis.
Add diabetes to that and I'm quite concerned about the life expectancy.

What are your views on all of this?

Many thanks,

David

Attachments

• b4228.pdf
    307.6 KB · Views: 603

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please bear in mind that any life expectancy statistics are based on historic data and do not take into consideration the latest technology.
I cannot talk about Type 3c but with Type 1, I ignore the life expectancy statistics, take heart from those who have had diabetes for 50, 60 and 70 years knowing most of that was before fast acting insulin, insulin pumps and CGMs and do my best to maintain my blood sugars in a "healthy range" without allowing diabetes to take over my life.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I have a loved one that has had type 3c diabetes from birth (she is 23 now) and from what I've read online the life expectancy for chronic pancreatitis seems to be significantly lower than the general population.

Th article attached is an eye-opener in terms of the higher mortality rate for chronic pancreatitis.

Many thanks,

David

Hi and welcome David,

does your loved one have chronic pancreatitis AND type 3c? Or just 3c? Because it is possible to have one without the other.

I definitely agree with what @In Response says about old data.
It is (historically) by far the best time to have ever had diabetes, of any type. Insulin is now available, also technological wonders such as pumps and continuous glucose monitors, better needles, better insulin profiles and regimes, better treatments for diabetic complications (if they occur), better ways to monitor and control. Better understanding of nutrition, diet and diet management. So much more knowledge available to help with management. Also, with the internet, that knowledge is now far more accessible.

your loved one is actually in a better position to live a long and healthy life than ever before.

D

Deleted member 540839

Hi and welcome David,

does your loved one have chronic pancreatitis AND type 3c? Or just 3c? Because it is possible to have one without the other.

I definitely agree with what @In Response says about old data.
It is (historically) by far the best time to have ever had diabetes, of any type. Insulin is now available, also technological wonders such as pumps and continuous glucose monitors, better needles, better insulin profiles and regimes, better treatments for diabetic complications (if they occur), better ways to monitor and control. Better understanding of nutrition, diet and diet management. So much more knowledge available to help with management. Also, with the internet, that knowledge is now far more accessible.

your loved one is actually in a better position to live a long and healthy life than ever before.

She has chronic pancreatitis which causes diabetes. Are there people on here who've had those conditions for a long time?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Twigmarble

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
She has chronic pancreatitis which causes diabetes. Are there people on here who've had those conditions for a long time?

I've had them for well over 20 years, and in addition my blood sugars have been extremely high for quite a few years because I'm intolerant to insulin, or the preservatives in it, so I can't take it (trying to find a solution). I'm still chugging along!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Don't know about the pancreatitis aspect but the diabetic aspect is no cause for concern. Current treatments mean that the reduction in life expectancy is very small.... (T1 for 51 years, alive and healthy. When I was diagnosed in 1970 the diagnosis was dead in 30. 40 years? And my T1 mother, diagnosed 30 years before glucometers, lived till 78, 57 years after diagnosis, and her death was caused by smoking,)

KizzyStress3

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Many thanks,

David
Hi, I'm new here but I have Type 3c diabetes, because I also have Chronic Pancreatitis, since 2015. I'm 34 tomorrow, Sad to hear someone you love also has this. Been hard to find anyone who suffers with mine as they keep saying it's like Type 1, but when I speak to Type 1 they don't have the same symptoms or anything.
I pray she has a long life, as I do for myself.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, I'm new here but I have Type 3c diabetes, because I also have Chronic Pancreatitis, since 2015. I'm 34 tomorrow, Sad to hear someone you love also has this. Been hard to find anyone who suffers with mine as they keep saying it's like Type 1, but when I speak to Type 1 they don't have the same symptoms or anything.
I pray she has a long life, as I do for myself.
Although I wasn't Type 3c, I thought you might be encouraged by bogus statistical predictions. At the age of 13 (Type for 12 years at the time) I was told " You might make it to 20. I am now 64 !! Live long and prosper!

Reactions: Ledzeptt