Life insurance for type 1 diabetics

Kayhowell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi, I'm a newly diagnosed and in denial type 1 ! I just wondered if anyone could recommend a life insurance company that will actually cover me, I'm struggling.
Much appreciatedx

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kayhowell Hi, you may find it hard to find insurance being newly diagnosed. There are definitely insurance companies out there that cover diabetes, however you will be hard pushed to find one that covers critical illness as well. The best premiums are with a Hba1c of 7% or under and also for non-smokers. Your best bet however is to contact a life insurance broker that deals with diabetes. I think I went through 'moneys worth' but there are others to choose from.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you look online for diabetes friendly broker they will be able to get you the best deal..........

i got a deal with aviva through a broker.......

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, I'm a newly diagnosed and in denial type 1 ! I just wondered if anyone could recommend a life insurance company that will actually cover me, I'm struggling.
Much appreciatedx

Most life houses will cover a T1 for life cover, but fewer will give you any add-ones, like critical illness cover, or waiver of premium. Your current issue may be your newly diagnosed status, whereby you have no track record of effectively controlling your condition. Sadly, uncontrolled diabetes is a significant additional risk to a life cover provider.

I have no idea how urgent your need is, although life cover makes sense for almost anyone with financial dependants - less so for a single person, unless there is a recognised, and quantifiable financial loss should the person die (like could be the case in a business partnership).

If you do go on to get cover now, I would suggest it would be in your best interest to revisit the cover and costs in, say, a year, when you will have achieved some form of track record in managing your condition. If your control is decent after a period, you could find your premiums reduce as your risk could be considered reduced.

Good luck with it all.