Life with diabetes

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You are one brave lady.

Thank you, but I'm just trying to enjoy my life by myself and my dear canine companion. Wish I knew 30 years ago what I know now. No regrets...but am determined to laugh and have fun every day.

I undestand moaning totally about diabetes, some denial previously when younger .

Miss hubby enormously as he also sW me thru hell and back with illness and somethings with NHS. Was extremely angry at NHS for dumping him without any medical care for 8 hours before he died but have realised I have to let go of that anger and just try to ensure the same thing doesnt happen to othsrs. Nothing will bring him back or make me feel better if boiling with anger....

For me, I have to just enjoy my time and let go of tge moans, anger, sadness as it changes nothing but wastes my life..

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But have you learnt and taken other directions and on alongsr term basis, this may not be the loss of a science career but a step in a different direction.

This is a strange comparison but I hope that you will see that we can choose to see things negatively or look at the positives from negativity...
My husband and I took vitamin tablets for decades.. many for good heart health. At 51 he suddenly died of aorticdissection,just 9 weeks ago. My first thoughts were to give up tsking vitamins,as they didnt do any goid for him..however, thinking logically...they may well have kept him healthier for longer...so seeing the positive about a negative can be gained..
Also, my hubby got badly neglected when taken in to A&E...it was dire.really bad. However, looking at the positive.. the death rate for this problem is high and recovery is not good.... so the neglect may well have actually been a kindness in some way. No way would my hubby have wanted to be ill on a long term basis at just 51. Full recovery is rare and this may well have been the best outcome for him. He would not have wanted to be ill longterm or short term.... so asmuch as I am devastated... and cannot believe the dire state of hospital care (none) but perhaps looking at things positively it may have actually been kindness in a strange way that events happened as they did.

Oh and I do love to moan... at my dog, at the state of the tv progeammes (dont watch it at all since hubby died).. at decisions hospital people make etc and yes, when I almost lost my licence thru diabetes etc but no longer about having diabetes... I really see the positives that I am, whom I am. Theres a good book I am reading currently and enjoying "the subtle art of not giving a f*ck"...
I'll maybe add that to my reading list; although it does seem to be a talent I've already developed post diagnosis.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This is the best I ever heard I was speaking to a lady one day and the conversation came up about diabetes and I said I'm diabetic .This was her reply oh it must be your hair colour there are two people living beside me same hair colour both are diabetics well I couldn't even be bothered to reply just thought you f...... idot. Must admit thought of something a lot worse to say.

Stupid is.................stupid does lol :rolleyes:

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All I’ve ever known is Diabetes so I can’t really relate unfortunately:/

My granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 aged 2 1/2 years, it broke my heart to see her so ill in HDU with an oxygen mask on and tubes coming out of her............... but she has thrived, is 9 years old now and is enjoying life as a 9 year old should and she is going to be a bridesmaid at her mum's wedding in June :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For me pre sugar's a utopian dream, if I try hard I can remember the taste of toffee apples and parkin, I have a sugar bowl for guests drinks and I swear I can smell the sugar if I put some in a brew.

I'm no phyco ologist :p but you're still grieving, time will heal that if you give it a chance...

I didn't grieve then, I just got on with it ( just had to as I was on my own with two children, Ex left months before) but lately I have been finding it hard, such a hard slog at times and my mood has been down. But, I will always keep going and trying to have good moment's to say to myself ' a good day today, good readings,well done, smile ' and next year will be my 30th year as type 1.
6.8 before bed, took 9 units of Levemir, woke up on a 4.1, so for breakfast, I will have just 1/2 unit with a small pot of yogurt :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I go through ups and downs. I’ve been feeling quite positive recently about my future since getting Libre and changing my food, and getting good HbA1c results. But. I had a real slump on Friday and yesterday. There is going to be no respite from it, is there?

We were out in Cardiff yesterday on a May Day workers’ rally, and it was really quite warm and sunny. My sugar levels were all over the place because hot weather and sun really affect me, and I felt rotten - everyone else was just enjoying the sun and speeches, while I was constantly scanning and thinking about my BG. At least I didn’t have to prick my finger each time (I love technology!), but it wasn’t off my mind for more than a few moments.

I am going to a Bluebell Wood today so, ............. how much time will I be out in the sun, how much walking will I do, much more finger pricking and I would really love a Libre ?
How are feeling today, any better ? x

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
0D80CB95-C91A-4EA6-9FF4-D493CA4DD30F.jpeg

I am going to a Bluebell Wood today so, ............. how much time will I be out in the sun, how much walking will I do, much more finger pricking and I would really love a Libre ?
How are feeling today, any better ? x
I adore bluebells, I hope you have a wonderful day! I feel I little better today (and yesterday), been having a gentle potter in/on my roof garden, planting some seeds for herbs, salads and radishes. I need to keep out of the sun though, or I hypo all,over the place! My garden is tiny, but this is my view, so that makes me happy.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
View attachment 26442

I adore bluebells, I hope you have a wonderful day! I feel I little better today (and yesterday), been having a gentle potter in/on my roof garden, planting some seeds for herbs, salads and radishes. I need to keep out of the sun though, or I hypo all,over the place! My garden is tiny, but this is my view, so that makes me happy.
Superb! Where is that on the horizon? It looks considerably higher than anywhere in the humps of East Anglia!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I totally agree with you all! I've been going 37 years and yet still learning and moaning! @LordReptilia says it is the card we were dealt and I remember my partner (of 20 odd years) telling me the same thing when we first met and it is just right, unfortunately or fortunately...now I am older and have experienced what others go through with other conditions then it makes me determined to go with my 'card'. Not easy I know and there are times I could pull my hair out especially when it seems that the rest of the world are only worrying about the most trivial things. That bugs me from time to time, when I listen to friends moaning about the most ridiculous things! But hey we have all been in this game a while and I am sure we are winning some of the time!

Like you @Bridie9408 my son has kept me going through thick and thin, when you have someone else to consider it takes that need to dwell away.

The trouble with Diabetes is that it requires so much self maintenance which means you can never forget about it even for a day otherwise you face the consequences! I was recently asked at a dental appointment if all my medication was the same and am I still taking insulin, I must admit despite my friendly nature I did reply "I would be dead if I didn't!"
Lets carry on moaning :) I think it is good for the soul x
Hi @NinaB73 Love the post and very much relate to being bugged by people moaning about trivial things. When I was Type 1, these people somehow made me smug! All the best

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Exactly! I blame old science/medicine and tv/movies/etc for feeding (pun definitely intended) the public the stereotypical overweight person who can’t eat anything with flavor or sweetness lol. We just need some new movement or something that just exposes people to the hard-hitting reality of Type-1 Diabetes and everything it brings with it.
Hi @LordReptilia That's what I have tried to do with the book in my hand! Keep well and don't let the #^$*£+!s get you down!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
View attachment 26442

Thank you and yes I had a lovely day, two lots of Bluebells, stunning Rapeseed fields, Thatched cottages, ducks at local pond and a cuddle with a chicken, what more could I ask for on a very hot and sunny day ( had a hypo too !)
Your views look just beautiful Mel, it's the simple things in life that makes me go, ahhhhhhhhhhh :joyful: Thank you for sharing and I hope life continues to make you feel happy ( and other's too ) :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you and yes I had a lovely day, two lots of Bluebells, stunning Rapeseed fields, Thatched cottages, ducks at local pond and a cuddle with a chicken, what more could I ask for on a very hot and sunny day ( had a hypo too !)
Your views look just beautiful Mel, it's the simple things in life that makes me go, ahhhhhhhhhhh :joyful: Thank you for sharing and I hope life continues to make you feel happy ( and other's too ) :)
Life is good, on the whole. Both my husband and I have cheated death more than once (me with a couple of near fatal DKAs and him with a brain injury) but we’re doing ok and take care of each other.

Your day sounds wonderful, with the exception of the hypo and rapeseed fields, I’m hideously allergic to the stuff! They don’t grow it in the Welsh valleys, but when I have to drive my son to Oxford to see his dad at this time of year I have to take so many antihistamines... and I’m still snotty and puffy eyed for a day after! :(

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Life is good, on the whole. Both my husband and I have cheated death more than once (me with a couple of near fatal DKAs and him with a brain injury) but we’re doing ok and take care of each other.

Your day sounds wonderful, with the exception of the hypo and rapeseed fields, I’m hideously allergic to the stuff! They don’t grow it in the Welsh valleys, but when I have to drive my son to Oxford to see his dad at this time of year I have to take so many antihistamines... and I’m still snotty and puffy eyed for a day after! :(

So many people are allergic to Rapeseed, I'm sure this time of year can be debilitating at times, but good to know you are still battling on, plus life is for living ( but it can be hard at times !) so take care and I hope Monday will be a good start to the week for you :)