Life

D

Deleted member 308541

i’m just scared whether i have diabetes and don’t want to ask my parents to get a test without having some advice from supportive people online, thanks in advance,
joe
All I can suggest is to go and see your GP without your parents knowledge...

Little Bird

um hi guys, i’m really new to this, and i only downloaded it because i’m scared i have diabetes. i’m 16, really thin, weigh up at around 60 kilograms (around 9 stone) and am around 5 foot 11 ( not sure what that is in cm). but i’m noticing some symptoms e.g fruity and sweet urine, and thirst, i get infections sometimes, and my vision goes blurry a fair amount. i tend to eat quite healthily but i let myself go with sweet things and snack on chocolate and sweets quite a lot. i’m just scared whether i have diabetes and don’t want to ask my parents to get a test without having some advice from supportive people online, thanks in advance,
joe
Hi @S3Proto, welcome to the forum. The prospect of having diabetes is a frightening one and you have come to the right place for support, but no one here is able to give you medical advice. You must see your doctor for this! You are frightened by the possibility of having diabetes and that fear will not go away until you know one way or the other. If you do indeed have diabetes then you will need medical advice and maybe medication. I don't mean to frighten you further but if you do have diabetes your life may depend on this. Untreated diabetes is potentially very serious indeed. Please Joe, go to see your doctor, as soon as possible! And trust your parents they need to know what is happening and you need the support of your family. If there is some reason you really don't feel able to tell your parents, then find a friend or a teacher or someone you trust. Either way this is something you simply cannot ignore.

I wish you well Joe and hope it works out well for you, and let us know how you get on. Best wishes LB x

S3Proto

Hi @S3Proto, welcome to the forum. The prospect of having diabetes is a frightening one and you have come to the right place for support, but no one here is able to give you medical advice. You must see your doctor for this! You are frightened by the possibility of having diabetes and that fear will not go away until you know one or the other. If you do indeed have diabetes then you will need medical advice and medication. I don't mean to frighten you further but if you do have diabetes your life may depend on this. Untreated diabetes is potentially very serious indeed. Please Joe, go to see your doctor, as soon as possible! And trust your parents they need to know what is happening and you need the support of your family. If there is some reason you really don't feel able to tell your parents, then find a friend or a teacher or someone you trust. Either way this is something you simply cannot ignore.

I wish you well Joe and hope it works out well for you, and let us know how you get on. Best wishes LB x

i will ask my parents tomorrow, thank you all for the support given in such little time, i appreciate it all.
i will give updates as it unfurls
joe x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
i will ask my parents tomorrow, thank you all for the support given in such little time, i appreciate it all.
i will give updates as it unfurls
joe x

Hello and welcome Joe :)

If you're experiencing weight loss, infections, frequent urination, feeling thirst and tired as well as pear breath then you need to get checked out by your doctor as soon as possible, at a young age type 1 diabetes could be a possibility however no one on a forum can diagnose you, and rather than scaring yourself any more over this it's best to speak to your parents and get an appointment to get checked over asap. As already mentioned if you are living with an un-diagnosed condition then you need medication as soon as possible. Eating sweets could mean that your not getting energy through eating your usual diet and so could be a symptom but not a cause for how your feeling.

Lots of support here so please keep us updated and hope you get some answers soon, take care.

S3Proto

Hello and welcome Joe :)

If you're experiencing weight loss, infections, frequent urination, feeling thirst and tired as well as pear breath then you need to get checked out by your doctor as soon as possible, at a young age type 1 diabetes could be a possibility however no one on a forum can diagnose you, and rather than scaring yourself any more over this it's best to speak to your parents and get an appointment to get checked over asap. As already mentioned if you are living with an un-diagnosed condition then you need medication as soon as possible. Eating sweets could mean that your not getting energy through eating your usual diet and so could be a symptom but not a cause for how your feeling.

Lots of support here so please keep us updated and hope you get some answers soon, take care.

thanks,
i’ve talked to my parents and i’m getting an appointment :)
joe

Reactions: Jasper27

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks for the update @S3Proto - good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
um hi guys, i’m really new to this, and i only downloaded it because i’m scared i have diabetes. i’m 16, really thin, weigh up at around 60 kilograms (around 9 stone) and am around 5 foot 11 ( not sure what that is in cm). but i’m noticing some symptoms e.g fruity and sweet urine, and thirst, i get infections sometimes, and my vision goes blurry a fair amount. i tend to eat quite healthily but i let myself go with sweet things and snack on chocolate and sweets quite a lot. i’m just scared whether i have diabetes and don’t want to ask my parents to get a test without having some advice from supportive people online, thanks in advance,
joe
Hi
Get a test done, see your GP it is far better to get an answer than to worry. At your tender age it could be all sorts of easy to sort things or be nothing at all to worry about. See your Doctor, they can sort you out and tell you what if anything is wrong. Please come back and let us know, you get the best support here from everyone.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done Joe for speaking to your parents, please let us know how you get on. From what I remember from over 50 years ago being 16 was bad enough with exams seemingly every day and homework without worrying about your health as well. ⛄

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this isn’t the brightest of subjects but I’m 40 this year and getting ‘older’ is really bothering me.

I’ve been type1 for 24 years and I’ve got quite a few complications due to not looking after myself. All I can think about is I’m heading towards the other side sooner rather than later, I feel like there’s no point in life and I’ve got nothing to look forward to other than ill health

I'm trying to recall how I felt when I was your age -- 27 years ago! :)
One thing that has stuck with me through the years, since even before I turned 40, is something I have read written by many writers -- that life is about the search for the point in life. The point of life is the search for the point of life.

Different writers say it different ways, but basically that is the point being made by the writers I have read.

When I was 40 -- I'm just thinking about this right now -- I was sort of lost as far as work and a "career" went. I had just finished taking some updating courses as refreshers in my master's field of study, to help find a new job in that field. I didn't take a job in that field, but in another area for which I'd also had training. But all that did was pay the bills, basically.
It was several years later, when I was once again "in between jobs" and certainly following no real career path, that I found a life outside work, that brought me friends, and it didn't pay the bills but it certainly made my life worthwhile (to me).
And that ended 7 years ago, and I'm still here. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning (or afternoon or evening) it seems the point of my life is to feed my cat and prick my finger. Sometimes it's to take a shower. Usually the point is to log on to this website and "talk" with friends I've "met" here.

BTW, 40 is notorious for making people think they have turned a corner, or reached the crest of the hill.
By the time you hit 50, and 60, and even 45, you look back and may not even be able to see the peak you thought 40 was when you were 39 years and 364 days old. :)

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Joe
Have you had your appointment yet, and how are you doing? I'm hoping that now that you've told your parents things are getting better for you. You will always find support here when you need it. x