Lifestyle overhaul - day 1

Mscmhs1

Yesterday, I started Metformin to treat my type 2 diabetes.

Truthfully, it was a sad day.

But today is a new day! I’m determined that within 3 months my HbA1c will reduce from 73 to below 52.

Up until now I was a self-confessed junk food addict. But no more.

Woke up very early this morning and had some smoke salmon. Now for a late breakfast I’m having plain soya, strawberries with pear!

The new lifestyle will take some getting used to but I’m determined once and for all to overhaul my health.
IMG_4827.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1629542537.025593.jpg
    IMG_1629542537.025593.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: coby

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Perfect breakfast. I too am on the same journey as you, thou I did it once before (before lockdown) and my A1c went down to 37!! I’m on metformin too now (day 8 or 9). I have found we can eat double cream or clotted cream so have a little bit of that with strawberries. In 3 months time; we will have done this. X.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Perfect breakfast. I too am on the same journey as you, thou I did it once before (before lockdown) and my A1c went down to 37!! I’m on metformin too now (day 8 or 9). I have found we can eat double cream or clotted cream so have a little bit of that with strawberries. In 3 months time; we will have done this. X.
I lived on subways, papa John pizzas, fish n chips - everything bad. I have changed my eating plan for good now. X

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm.. pears are about 10% carb so might not be the best and soy I avoid at all costs.

Strawberries with double cream or full fat greek yoghurt might have been a better choice.

Did you measure your blood glucose before and 2 hours after eating?

Be interested in the results

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
In a few months time when you jump out of bed in the morning you will say to yourself why didn't I do this sooner , It's a great feeling .

Reactions: coby

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on a huge step in the right direction. That first step is always the hardest.

Do you have a meter to monitor your bg? If you do it might show you that the pear, and possibly the quantities of strawberries need adjusting to get your bg even lower. But don't rush to change too much at once. When you are ready, replace some of the fruit with more protein and perhaps some extra good fats to help keep you satiated and full for longer. In just a few short weeks you will be so surprised how far you have come, and so quickly.and It all starts from the first step. Congratulations on taking it so positively

Reactions: KK123 and coby

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to add in sugar free jelly when eating berries, but it is too sweet now - too much artificial sweetener. These days I make up gelatine and flavour it with sugar free squashes, adding some cream or full fat Greek yoghurt when it has cooled, then whipping it up to a froth to increase its volume.
I do not eat pears these days, and only small amounts of soy once in a while, though last time I bought it the Alpro yoghurt was very thin and runny, so I was a bit put off.
I would eat the fruit for dessert, after dinner, as I am more insulin resistant in the mornings and usually have some protein and fat with salad or stir fry as that is safer for me.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I used to add in sugar free jelly when eating berries, but it is too sweet now - too much artificial sweetener. These days I make up gelatine and flavour it with sugar free squashes, adding some cream or full fat Greek yoghurt when it has cooled, then whipping it up to a froth to increase its volume.
I do not eat pears these days, and only small amounts of soy once in a while, though last time I bought it the Alpro yoghurt was very thin and runny, so I was a bit put off.
I would eat the fruit for dessert, after dinner, as I am more insulin resistant in the mornings and usually have some protein and fat with salad or stir fry as that is safer for me.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I wondered this. My numbers are always lower after breakfast than my evening meal - even if I were to eat the same. I didn’t think about this. Strange. X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I wondered this. My numbers are always lower after breakfast than my evening meal - even if I were to eat the same. I didn’t think about this. Strange. X
Possibly you are the reverse, with a lower resistance in the morning - we are all different in how we react to foods, the timing and the menu, our activity and sleep patterns all play a part.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Possibly you are the reverse, with a lower resistance in the morning - we are all different in how we react to foods, the timing and the menu, our activity and sleep patterns all play a part.
Yes thank you. I kno now to eat a sandwich earlier if I have to. X