Like a 5yr old part 2.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you provide links to the studies about NAFLD and keto?
Hi Brunneria,
Sorry I only kept this one as I had to read it a few times to understand it, its pretty dry going. I had to research a some of the terms and concepts looking for something to refute its findings. maybe you will have more success.

One of the conclusions is Keto does not help you loose weight. It helps you not gain weight & gives you more energy. As a result you are likely to exercise more and thus weight loss as a side effect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2980360/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria,
Sorry I only kept this one as I had to read it a few times to understand it, its pretty dry going. I had to research a some of the terms and concepts looking for something to refute its findings. maybe you will have more success.

One of the conclusions is Keto does not help you loose weight. It helps you not gain weight & gives you more energy. As a result you are likely to exercise more and thus weight loss as a side effect.

Thanks for the link.
I have had a look through, but with all respect to your efforts on ploughing through every word, plus doing research on terms, there was enough in the first paragraph of the link to stop me reading with a screech of tyres.

My reasoning for this is twofold:

Firstly the study was on mice.
Yes, I recognise that experiments on mice and rats and other animals is cheaper and quicker than on humans. You can also kill them and extract their fatty (or non-fatty) livers at any point, without those irritating questions of ethics when experimenting on humans. (whilst ignoring those irritating questions on the ethics of experimenting on animals, of course)
However, mice are not humans. They never will be. They are therefore not going to demonstrate the same results that a human would. The natural diet of a mouse is very different from that of a modern human, especially one in the Western world.

Secondly, have you ever researched what goes into lab mouse 'Chow'?
It is horrific. Even the 'Keto Chow' is dreadful. Processed. Standardised. Chock full of stuff that shouldn't be considered food for any living creature. (Yup, I am the kind of person who feeds their dogs raw prey model food because I see visible benefits to their health when I do so)
https://www.the-scientist.com/?arti...600/title/Inside-a-Lab-Mouse-s-High-Fat-Diet/

I think that mouse and rat experiments are usually just a way for scientists to test theories in order to get further funding in the hope of going on to human trials. I understand that this is the way things work. I dislike it. And I acknowledge that my personal dislike is not going to change the situation. But it means that whenever I read a study involving rats, mice, processed lab Chow and comparisons with humans, I just dismiss them. There are too many variables. Too many differences between species. And even if you set those aside, there are huge variations between humans. I just don't accept that a small laboratory controlled study with mice eating that Chow should be extrapolated into advising me (with my unique genetics, health issues and lifestyle) on the macronutrients of my real food, human grade food choices.

Obviously, if those same scientists continue their research and conduct a long term study on humans eating human grade real food, then I will take some notice. But I will still temper my interest with personal knowledge of what works for me. We all exist on a bell curve, and those who sit comfortably in the middle of that curve should count themselves very lucky.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Indy,
Thanks for the link but sorry your wrong. The link says nothing about Keto and promotes a Low Carb diet.

It mentions nothing about High Fat.
The HF part of Keto causes the muscles to resist insulin opting to "choose" to use the fat as fuel sending the glucose energy to the brain, and that's a good, no brain fog. But one of the first thing's I read about Keto it crosses the blood brain barrier so why do muscles need to "choose" to resist insulin to feed the brain when the brain is being fed by Keto's?:banghead:

Led me to look at muscle resistance in prolonged Keto, and my mind is not made up yet I am still looking for long term evidence. Any in- site you have is much appreciated. :bag:
Without having access to the full text of the study, it's hard to know whether the low carb diet was also ketogenic (which would depend on the individuals and the grams of carbs consumed) or not - or even if this was tested.

I can be in ketosis if I fast for more than 5 hours at a time, even if I've already eaten over 60g of carbs earlier in the day. It's a very individualised thing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

american journal of physiology

Weigh in on this one Biker I would appreciate any insites you have.

p.s spell checker still hates me.:bag:

Ahhh the famous mouse study where they fed the mice high fat palm oil?

1. the mice were fed on a diet that would probably kill you or me..
2. in my not very humble opinion it was not representative of what people eating a whole food ketogenic diet would eat
3. I'm not a mouse
4. were mice designed to eat a high fat diet anyway?
do you need more.. it's a load of bull...

As @Brunneria said... its a load of bull..

Reactions: LouWilk059

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Gona have to disagree with you on this one blue, there is evidence out there to strongly suggest that a Keto Diet "muscle refusal mode" raises your livers insulin resistance leading to a fatty liver NAFLD. And can cause a decrease in, insulin-stimulated, heart muscle myocardial insulin resistance linked to CHD.

Both sound pretty serious to me.

But the most disturbing thing I have found is a few articals that say Keto was introduced as a lifestyle/diet after studies of Inuit eating habits. Were assumptions were made that have now been shown to be completely wrong. :banghead:
Just like the low fat lifestyle/diet came about by studying Japanese eating habits and jumping to false conclusions. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't have the answers but I believe some kicker twisting might be appropriate. :p

:bag:
I have read that it is very important to eat loads of green veg and green salad, more than you would normally to avoid a fatty liver. In another video, He recommends that you eat 10 American cups a day of green veg and green salad.

Last edited:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read that it is very important to eat loads of green veg and green salad, more than you would normally to avoid a fatty liver.
Thanks for that link Derry.
this guy looks like a snake oil salesman, its only a little snippet from something but I'm sure he will be tring to sell you something at the end of the full video.

But this link does feel like propaganda. i.e damage control "sure you can get NAFLD but only if your doing it wrong just follow my instructions and you won't. Buy my book on how not to die":rolleyes:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
this guy looks like a snake oil salesman, its only a little snippet from something but I'm sure he will be tring to sell you something at the end of the full video.

But this link does feel like propaganda. i.e damage control "sure you can get NAFLD but only if your doing it wrong just follow my instructions and you won't. Buy my book on how not to die":rolleyes:

Yes Dr Berg can be a bit of an oddball... from my fairly extensive reading the vast majority of people lost visceral fat when keto so in fact it can "cure" NAFLD and of course restore insulin sensitivity and thus bring blood sugar levels back to "normal". That is the result of my N=1 experiment and of the few thousands on the ketogenicforums.com .
If you are serious about the science of keto that's a great place to get info. The 2 keto dudes are very science orientated. Richard (one of the dudes) is just about to start a biochemistry degree in Australia to further his already pretty encyclopaedic knowledge of the way our bodies function.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you need more.. it's a load of bull...
Yes more would be appreciated considering the next response after yours was a video about fatty livers and how to avoid them in keto.

So unless this is the first time you have ever, ever, ever heard of keto linked to causing a fatty liver and NAFLD. Why dismiss my inquisitiveness completely out of hand.
If you want to refute the validity of the research paper that's fine. But an unbiased reply would be along the line of yes there is some evidence to support this but it is not conclusive and in my not very humble opinion the research conducted on mice is misleading.

My question is "Does any one have any evidence on keto increasing insulin resistance?":banghead:

Brunneria weight in with her own insight
"So, for me, i see physiological insulin resistance as an excellent thing. Sure, my fasting blood glucose is slightly higher, but my overall control is much better, and I feel great.

I am asking question because I wan to learn. :bag:

Reactions: bulkbiker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So unless this is the first time you have ever, ever, ever heard of keto linked to causing a fatty liver and NAFLD. Why dismiss my inquisitiveness completely out of hand.
Yes it was the first time etc etc..
Keto is usually seen as a way of getting rid of NAFLD and as I said Dr B has some odd ideas sometimes. I wasn't dismissing your inquisitiveness but there are a load of very shoddy pseudo scientific papers about keto but very few (if any) actually apply what is considered to be a nutritionally complete ketogenic diet to the subjects. I'm afraid the mice fed on palm oil thatyou quoted was one of those which has been debunked many times. I realise that as someone new to this you weren't aware that the study was bunkum but sometimes it can be a bit wearing to constantly have to explain why things are not as they seem. The really bad thing about reporting on scientific literature seems to me to be that one study can give rise to a multitude of review pieces that don't make it clear the exact study they are referring to so you get 10 newspaper articles referring to one study that appears to be 10 separate studies. This happened recently with the Newcastle Diet report that spawned literally tens of reports not many of which made it clear what exactly they were talking about. Sorry if that's a bit long winded but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I will still temper my interest with personal knowledge of what works for me.
Real world experience is invaluable.

I can prove to you mathematically beyond a shadow of a doubt that:
IF you stand 1 meter away from a wall, you walk towards the wall half-ing the distance with each step 50cm then 25cm then 12.5cm and so on you will never, ever ever reach the wall.

On the other hand if I film you attempting to do this in the real world you will walk into a wall. :banghead:

I get that this paper was on mice as I said I saved this one to read up on some of the terminology used. I'm dyslexic and usually have to read things a couple of times to pick out salient details. I completely missed the Chow and its relevance.
But that's why I ask questions. :bag:

Reactions: Brunneria

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto is usually seen as a way of getting rid of NAFLD
That was my understanding of it.
When searching for information on the web what I mostly come across is propaganda from both camps, not scientific evidence, and with most things the hardest thing is knowing were to start. :banghead:

• I can prove that 1+1 =2. (have the proof lying around here somewhere) it is irrefutable.
  • I think there is sufficient proof that draining the liver of fat is key to managing/reversing diabetes.

So PIR long term or not long term?
can you prove it?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was my understanding of it.
When searching for information on the web what I mostly come across is propaganda from both camps, not scientific evidence, and with most things the hardest thing is knowing were to start. :banghead:

• I can prove that 1+1 =2. (have the proof lying around here somewhere) it is irrefutable.
  • I think there is sufficient proof that draining the liver of fat is key to managing/reversing diabetes.

So PIR long term or not long term?
can you prove it?
Can I prove that PIR is a real thing? No,of course not. There aren’t any black and white bits in nutrition science. Until we can lock people in rooms for years and feed them in an extremely controlled way we won’t have any nutrition certainties and you know that’s never going to happen.
Have I experienced PIR personally .. no not so far as I know.
I can only say for sure what I have experienced and what seems to have worked for me. I just jumped in and tried what seemed to make the most sense. Luckily it was both rewarding and relatively easy. All I can recommend is try it and see how you get on.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind

He is quite popular on YouTube..Some things I take with a pinch of salt, but |I have read somewhere else about having lots of green vegs when on a Keto diet, regarding the fatty liver. He gives out a lot of information without anybody having to buy anything.Yes he has written books and will promote his book at times, but to be honest I think that most of them do including Jason Fung and others.I think that there are many jumping on the bandwagon with this Keto or low carb diets now. Whether they are in Private practice or from another source, seem's like they are all trying to make money out of peoples poor health

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
seem's like they are all trying to make money out of peoples poor health
I got no problem with people making money if what there saying is true. And if you have a revolutionary new idea you have to get it out there with a book; book tours lectures they all take up your time you have to support yourself some how so that's not an issue. Its when they come across as disingenuous and smiley, that's a different kettle of fish.

We humans are strange if I invent the cure for cancer and give it away free nobody will believe it. But if I write a book telling you I have invented the cure and charge £100 each it would be a best seller. :banghead:

Reactions: derry60

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the day I stop wanting to learn will be the day I slowly start to die.
Yes but I learned that cocktail barman in the states call themselves mixologists now as it sounds important.
And a barister means some one who makes espresso-coffee drinks.
I can never unlearn that.:p