Like a 5yr old part 2.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
to your mouse study
Ahh come on now its not my mice study, I got into enough trouble on here when I threatened to kill a cat in my imagination.

But I do get it some one hears you doing Keto and immediately expects you to defend yourself.
"I heard that keto turns your whole body blue and you grow a third arm."
"Doh! you can clearly see I only have 2 arms and I'm not blue"
"Ahh but it could be a long term effect, I read on the internet ........ blah, blah, blah"

" A man who trusts his path, doesn't need to prove the other path is wrong.";)
:bag:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@There is no Spoon i can only comment on how my first attempt at lchf didnt reduce my weight but lower fat did. However great at reducing insulin resistance, for me.

I lost weight.. ... Mainly muscle on low carb but not high fat.
On less muscle density Iost more weight so muscle mass can make IR worse not just fat.
As soon as I had 5 halloween jellies my weight loss stopped.
Ive increased my weight by 3-4kgs since nov'18. This wont change until start losing muscle again. However now I'm very weak but luckily carnt exercise at mo.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so muscle mass can make IR worse
Interesting.
Thank you, this point hasn't come up before.
My idea isn't about building muscles just using them, activate them if you will. Even something as simple as hovering twice a day is using/activating leg and arm muscles. And the house is cleaner. ;)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 2 keto dudes are very science orientated.
I appreciate pointing me in the right direction and fully accept that your motives are pure.

But.
On the podcast on the home page the American Dude promoted starving yourself all day only eating one meal a day at which time he advocated stuffing yourself full, until you feel physically sick.

Almost the first link I clicked on there home page to explain the science behind what they were saying "Keto is the way forward" concludes that a GI diet is better that a low carb diet!
(as far as there study showed, they used Atkins as the model not keto but keto = ultra low carb).

Further it went on to say
"we identified 2 potentially deleterious effects of this diet may promote insulin resistance, and cardiovascular disease subjects without pre-existing cardiovascular disease, had a 5-fold increased risk of cardiovascular mortality." (They concluded this is do to the measurable stress low carb puts on the body and the effect increased cortisol has because of this).

My conclusion is, these two guy are buffoons.

The aritcle, its pretty dry going, about 10 pages down the 3rd paragraph in the conclusion.
(p.s. no mice were harmed in this study, only Italians);)
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1199154

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate pointing me in the right direction and fully accept that your motives are pure.

But.
On the podcast on the home page the American Dude promoted starving yourself all day only eating one meal a day at which time he advocated stuffing yourself full, until you feel physically sick.

Almost the first link I clicked on there home page to explain the science behind what they were saying "Keto is the way forward" concludes that a GI diet is better that a low carb diet!
(as far as there study showed, they used Atkins as the model not keto but keto = ultra low carb).

Further it went on to say
"we identified 2 potentially deleterious effects of this diet may promote insulin resistance, and cardiovascular disease subjects without pre-existing cardiovascular disease, had a 5-fold increased risk of cardiovascular mortality." (The concluded this is do to the measurable stress low carb puts on the body and the effect increased cortisol has because of this).

My conclusion it these two guy are buffoons.

The aritcle, its pretty dry going, about 10 pages down the 3rd paragraph in the conclusion.
(p.s. no mice were harmed in this study, only Italians);)
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1199154

Ok I tried..

Reactions: There is no Spoon

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@There is no Spoon

I strongly urge you to slow down.
You are new to this and you seem to be bouncing about looking for The One True Answer that will resolve everything and make your recent diagnosis disappear. Or make everything better.

Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. One True Answers (like fairy tales) don’t exist in the real world.

Even if you end up trying out keto for long enough to experience the benefits, then it won’t solve everything, and there may be a few niggly little inconveniences that accompany the benefits. That is life, and true of every single way of eating on the planet.

You seem to want whole answers presented to you in single studies, videos and articles, and when that doesn’t happen, you reject everything that source has to offer. Again, I caution you not to do this.

That video of Berg earlier in the thread is inadequately sourced and his suggestions on veg intake don’t work for me. However, i find him excellent on nutrients and how to balance nutrient intake. His understanding of adrenal and thyroid nutrition is outstanding. Dismissing him quickly cuts off a lot of info you may find useful in the future.

Dismissing the Ketodudes as ‘buffoons’ is cavalier and (In my humble opinion) like shooting yourself in the foot. Take some time to read around the ‘show me the science’ section of their forum. It is fascinating. Often more in depth and better critiques than you will find here.

Asking questions then shooting down every piece of information you are offered is kind of rude, even if you think it is justified, belittling the offered info won’t help you find answers. All it will do is stop people offering you info.

Modern (non dinosaur) information on Type 2, nutrition, fat intake and metabolism, ketosis and other attendant health conditions is a very diverse subject, filled with big personalities and ever changing discoveries.

Rather than looking for big simple answers, try and look on it as building a brick wall. Every post, article, you tube video and blog that you read adds a brick to your wall. Sometimes you reject bricks or rip out old ones and replace them with better info. Your wall will never be finished, but it will grow and be built for your needs. Which will be v different from my needs.

But do it slowly, considerately. Don’t dismiss things without properly assessing them. Dismissing people while not bothering to look for the real gems they can offer is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Edited to add: i’ve just reread this post of mine and decided that I sound pompous. Sorry. It wasn’t intended that way. It is just that whatever you/I/anyone thinks today will evolve and change tomorrow. We aren’t dwarves standing on the shoulders of giants. We are normal people scrambling up sandcastles that crumble under our feed as we climb.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The One True Answer that will resolve everything and make your recent diagnosis disappear.
I do appreciate the words of caution.

My conclusion after all this reading.
  • Ketosis is not bad.
  • Ketosis if not done properly can have some potentially harmful results.
From my better understanding I was not doing keto properly, there was a higher carb content in my diet that I realised and as a result if I had continued down this path, as I was, I would have been setting myself up eventually to fail in the long run.

"Thanks for putting up with all the questions"

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do appreciate the words of caution.

My conclusion after all this reading.
  • Ketosis is not bad.
  • Ketosis if not done properly can have some potentially harmful results.
From my better understanding I was not doing keto properly, there was a higher carb content in my diet that I realised and as a result if I had continued down this path, as I was, I would have been setting myself up eventually to fail in the long run.

"Thanks for putting up with all the questions"

I would just like to add.. ketogenic eating isn't really all that hard and it does have some pretty awesome outcomes.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would just like to add.. ketogenic eating isn't really all that hard and it does have some pretty awesome outcomes.
Cheers dude,
I think there has been some, "Lost in Translation" going on here. I fell in love with the idea of Ketosis as soon as I read about it. I am not trying to disprove it just prove that it is right for me. ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers dude,
I think there has been some, "Lost in Translation" going on here. I fell in love with the idea of Ketosis as soon as I read about it. I am not trying to disprove it just prove that it is right for me. ;)

Your body will tell you if it is right for you. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers dude,
Best way to do that is to try it... as I once said "don't let perfection get in the way of progress.." one of my more lucid moments...