Limit on saturated fats no longer justified

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
"After reviewing the evidence, the expert group agreed that the most rigorous and current science fails to support a continuation of the government’s policy limiting consumption of saturated fats."

Which means the evidence for low fat and all the problems fat supposedly caused never existed in the first place. Got to wonder how much was wasted on flawed, biased and just plain wrong practices in research. I wonder how long it will take before dietary associations change their outdated guidelines, how long it takes cardiologists and every other HCP that still believes the cholesterol theory and fat causes heart disease... time will tell I guess. The evidence that fat is the cause of chronic disease whilst ignoring insulin levels has been a massive failure in health care imo.

The tide is turning, finally.

M

Member496333

It's nothing short of astonishing that the diet-heart hypothesis ever became so universally ingrained as fact for 40+ years on the back of nothing more than an idea and the strong-arm of academic mobbing silencing the many dissenters. The tide is indeed turning, but I'm a little less optimistic than some. Never underestimate the ability of unchecked runaway capitalism to steer public opinion. The might of Big Tofu is formidable, and driven by religious idealism (Seventh-day Adventist's Church, their billionaire disciples and commercial bed-partners).

History will tell the story that the saturated fat hokum was humanity's single most cataclysmic blunder. We are MADE of the stuff for crying out loud! :hilarious:

Courtesy @JohnEGreen;
https://qz.com/967554/the-five-universal-laws-of-human-stupidity/

Reactions: HSSS and ByeBye

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's nothing short of astonishing that the diet-heart hypothesis ever became so universally ingrained as fact for 40+ years on the back of nothing more than an idea and the strong-arm of academic mobbing silencing the many dissenters. The tide is indeed turning, but I'm a little less optimistic than some. Never underestimate the ability of unchecked runaway capitalism to steer public opinion. The might of Big Tofu is formidable, and driven by religious idealism (Seventh-day Adventist's Church, their billionaire disciples and commercial bed-partners).

History will tell the story that the saturated fat hokum was humanity's single most cataclysmic blunder. We are MADE of the stuff for crying out loud! :hilarious:

Courtesy @JohnEGreen;
https://qz.com/967554/the-five-universal-laws-of-human-stupidity/

I think listening to one of Ivor Cummin's podcasts he talked about how good Keys was at selling marketing and something. Keys left out all the counter evidence and knew how to market the theory he was obsessed with... and hey presto, it was accepted, basically no questions asked. Absolutely horrendous when you think about it.

I believe the statins were passed by the FDA in record time, those on the committee that approved them received all expenses paid holidays and other rewards from the pharmaceutical companies. Seems legitimate to me, I can't remember where I read that so I don't have a link, but that is how things do work. So, make of it what you will.

M

Member496333

I think listening to one of Ivor Cummin's podcasts he talked about how good Keys was at selling marketing and something. Keys left out all the counter evidence and knew how to market the theory he was obsessed with... and hey presto, it was accepted, basically no questions asked. Absolutely horrendous when you think about it.

I believe the statins were passed by the FDA in record time, those on the committee that approved them received all expenses paid holidays and other rewards from the pharmaceutical companies. Seems legitimate to me, I can't remember where I read that so I don't have a link, but that is how things do work. So, make of it what you will.

Not helped by the fact that the AHA (American Heart Association) were pretty much founded by Procter & Gamble who were heavily pushing Crisco-like seed oils and spreads at this time. Seed oils that were originally formulated to be used as machine lubricants. The solution to the heart disease crisis? Double-down on seed oil. If it weren't so tragic it would be hilarious. Of course, with 20/20 hindsight it's easy to criticise past mistakes, but there was never any real evidence to begin with.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@Jim Lahey which is what makes self education so important. It's not exactly a great situation when you visit your GP and find you are far better informed then he or she is. You don't expect to know everything, and you don't expect any doctor to know everything either, but when you know the basics and your gp doesn't know what you are talking about it just brings a lot into question. It's a real eye opener when you see how flawed approaches are for chronic diseases, acute medicine is very good, but how conditions are managed is errr, well, you know....lol

M

Member496333

@Jim Lahey which is what makes self education so important. It's not exactly a great situation when you visit your GP and find you are far better informed then he or she is. You don't expect to know everything, and you don't expect any doctor to know everything either, but when you know the basics and your gp doesn't know what you are talking about it just brings a lot into question. It's a real eye opener when you see how flawed approaches are for chronic diseases, acute medicine is very good, but how conditions are managed is errr, well, you know....lol

iu.jpeg

Reactions: Divia

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's hilarious.... even looks like me! :D