Linagliptin problem after 2 to 3 months

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
After having taken linaglptin without problem for over 2 months i've suddenly developed joint pain headache nausea and vomiting. I'm also taking metformin. Has anyone else had this problem?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I take another Gliptin.
Phone your doctor, as those side effects point to that they don't agree with you.
There are other blood glucose lowering drugs
Have you been testing?

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Chance of phoning my doctor on the NHS. lol. Yes Blood sugar and BP seem okay. The linagliptin only has a subtle effect on BG which was what the nurse was aiming at. I'm on a host of other meds too so used to having side-effects. I was just surprised that it might take that long to show up. I must have been on them over 2 months now. Usually side-effects tend to show up fairly quickly. Anyway I am going to stop taking it as I plan to start a low carb healthy fat diet next week and if needs be I will move up to keto or fasting. I'll be testing to see how it all effect BG and will continue with the metformin.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are testing, you should also be keeping a food diary.
This will help you and your health care team understand your blood glucose levels and the impact your food has on it!

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'll be following the meal plan.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure it is the Linagliptin? I was just wondering if you are on statins? They are problematic and can cause joint and muscle pains. Just a thought.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Bluetit 1802 , I was on vildagliptin for 7 years with no problem but Statins nearly crippled me .

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes quite sure. I checked on line and there is a precedent for joint pain plus headache nausea and vomiting. My only query was that the side-effects seem to take a while to show up. I've stopped taking them now and will see what a 5 day break does. Now going on a low carb healthy fat plan so should compensate anyway.

Reactions: Bluetit1802