Lipodystrophy

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So...how bad is yours?
I got it really bad on my stomach, all my jeans are mis-shaped at the top as they keep rolling down and settling below the two big bulges. I have it quite mild on the top of my legs but that doesn't affect me as much.

Leeroy1303

Same here it looks worse now ive lost around two stone its more noticable ive not injected in my stomach for about a year dsn said it would settle down but it doesnt seem to be getting any better

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here! I'm loosing weight at the moment and I'm worried it's going to look worse! And it's not like I'm going to be able to show off my figure :( I've done everything they said, massage the area, avoid injecting in the area. *sighs*

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they say bums are good to give your stomach a break,

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Injecting bum is quite hard lol! I prefer seeing the insulin go down and the needle is ok.

Leeroy1303

Yep bums are good lol my dsn told me to use back tricep area of arms aswel we'll get there in the end im sure :)

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did start to inject on the top of arms but then thought I wouldn't want lumpy bumpy things on them lol

Leeroy1303

Yep good point lucy I only use arms with small doses of insulin and only a few times a week the rest is in my poor legs and butt lol

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have these lumps at the tops of my arms and thighs and haven't injected into either of those areas for at least 10 years.
So i think I am stuck with them.
I hate them in the summer when I want to wear a sleeveless top as it looks odd.
If you find a way to get rid I would love to know!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I still have a lump in my stomach from when I first started to inject insulin 30+ years ago, you could get treatment on the NHS for Lipo but someone said a while ago that the treatment isn't available any-more, still there's no harm in asking if it's causing concern, your Endo would be the best person to ask.

atomicpants69

So...how bad is yours?
I got it really bad on my stomach, all my jeans are mis-shaped at the top as they keep rolling down and settling below the two big bulges. I have it quite mild on the top of my legs but that doesn't affect me as much.
Definitely bum darling, I've had type 1 for nearly 17 years and I've got no problems and I do favour the bum for jabs, you can also go right round the naval towards the back on the side if you pinch the skin, it's virtual painless and almost noone goes there to jab but I find it great for when you need to give another a rest!! Good luck, it really should improve with rest!!!

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Lucy, I had liposuction done on my leg many years ago when a consultant asked me if I had any lumps. I had been type 1 for 12 years. I had a bulge at the top of my leg with a hollow underneath it. It didnt bother me when it was covered up but I felt self conscious when swimming etc. Consultant took a look and then said we can do something about that. I can refer you to see a plastic surgeon. I am pleased to say that the liposuction was a success so if the lumps are really bothrring you, tell a consultant about them and ask for something to be done and plzy on the fact that they are causing you to be fed up etc.

As for injecting in yr backside, I never injected in my legs again after liposuction and did my morning jab in my backside area above my hip so I could see what I was doing and did my eve jab in my arm. I only injected in my tummy when bg was a bit high.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
30+ years vast majority injected in bum, now cannulas in for ;+ years. Size 8-10 currently and not a bump or lump or anything at all.