Lipohypertrophy

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
30 years of careless injecting into my abdomen especially L/H side. I notice now excess fatty tissue (lipohypertrophy) in particular L/H side. I’ve started now rotating better and staying off the L/H side completely. 3 weeks now and I can’t see any improvement. Can I expect it to improve in time?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Zinadane I haven't experienced it myself but from what i've heard it does improve in time, not sure how long it takes though. You are doing the right thing and staying out of this area, rotating and changing needles with each injection should ensure you are doing all you can to avoid it occurring in other areas.

Reactions: Zinadane

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Zindane, My personal experience is that it can take 12 months or so. Other I have met give similar answers.
Keep up the great rotation technique and the pads will get tidied up by your body without a need to worry.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had it from injecting Lantus in the same places each time (top of each thigh on alternate days). I was having itchiness and lumps and it took about 6-8 weeks or so to go

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
30 years of careless injecting into my abdomen especially L/H side. I notice now excess fatty tissue (lipohypertrophy) in particular L/H side. I’ve started now rotating better and staying off the L/H side completely. 3 weeks now and I can’t see any improvement. Can I expect it to improve in time?
HI Zinadane. I've been T1 for nearly 50 years. In my teenage years my Mum used to inject in my upper arms and later my wife took over the duty injecting in the same place. After approx. 20 years I was told to stop using those areas as I had serious lumps on my outer arms and the insulin no longer had the same affect. The lumps got harder and larger in those 20 years have reduced over time, but are still there today and I have not injected in my arms for about 30 years now. The advice these days seems to focus on the upper/outer legs and tummy area. However, I do favour my rear as well because it is fleshy and fairly painless. Hope this helps.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I had serious lipohypertrophy in my twenties on my right leg. Used to inject there constantly and never really took much notice of it. When my consultant saw it he lost the plot with me. That lump took around a year to disappear.