Liquid diet before colonoscopy

fluteduet9

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone here have any suggestions on how to get through the full day of liquid diet on the day before a colonoscopy? The standard instructions from the gastro doc is jello, Italian ice, popsicles, apple juice, etc. I'm afraid if I follow these instructions, I'll spike and crash my glucose. I read somewhere about a product called Isopure, apparently a high protein no carb drink. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions are very welcome. Procedure isn't until May, so I've got some time to experiment beforehand.

Reactions: rosie04

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @fluteduet9 I had a Colonoscopy last year and was told not to drink anything containing milk. So, I drank black coffee, black tea (with slice of lemon), sugar free and weak fruit cordial.

• Winner
Reactions: filly

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I have had mine I have fasted and drank black tea/coffee and of course the other stuff they provide.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I got my appointment changed to early morning and just drank water

• Informative

fluteduet9

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, everyone! Sounds like a water and coffee day is in my future. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never used this before my colonoscopies but I found that Tesco have a zero carb lemonade drink. It comes in a three litre plastic bottle like Coke does. I shell remember it for next time.

lindisfel

Expert
I would be more worried about the Picolax, flute! And having your own personal lavatory you can banish other people from! :)
D.

fluteduet9

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
@Squire Fulwood - ah, I don't think we have that product here in the US. But I'm sure we have something similar.

@lindisfel - LOL, yeah, you're right. But this ain't my first rodeo. I think this is my 4th colonoscopy, but this time around I'm having to deal with the RH for the first time.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby (non diabetic but low carb) had the 10 cal jellies from Hartley- tins of consommé, marmite, oxo, bovril, black tea & coffee, we had a previous couldn't get out of full day out the day he had to do this so the consommé was great in a flask.

fluteduet9

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby (non diabetic but low carb) had the 10 cal jellies from Hartley- tins of consommé, marmite, oxo, bovril, black tea & coffee, we had a previous couldn't get out of full day out the day he had to do this so the consommé was great in a flask.
Hmmmm..... I don't think I can find any of those things here except the consomme and tea/coffee, but great suggestions - thanks! And congrats on the great stats -- AMAZING!!!! :woot:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As @bulkbiker say's a 24 hour fast would an idea.

I've had two procedures since I was diagnosed, and both times just didn't eat the day before.

Probably makes the prep easier too.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Agree with the water fasting.
One thing the instructions didn't ban was butter; I'm not sure if that was a mistake - like why would anyone normal eat or drink butter??
Anyway the day before I had a vegetable stock cube in hot water with a lump of butter and that was remarkably satisfying.

I think the big problem is for people on insulin-boosting medication or insulin.
Those on diet (and perhaps Metformin) should be fine with fasting.
I stopped my Metformin the day before because I could see it just getting blown straight through. You are also supposed to take Metformin with food.

Once you start on the bowel emptying preparation, don't plan to be far from the loo, and don't let anyone with a newspaper under their arm wander in ahead of you either.:p

• Agree
Reactions: Lobsang Tsultim
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Squire Fulwood - ah, I don't think we have that product here in the US. But I'm sure we have something similar.

My apologies. I had no idea where you are from and I didn't bother to check. I suppose it's still worth checking your supermarket to see if they have a zero carb product to help you with your preparation.

I also wish you good luck with your colonoscopy, not because you need any luck but simply because I know what you are about to go through and I would like to say something nice.

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone here have any suggestions on how to get through the full day of liquid diet on the day before a colonoscopy? The standard instructions from the gastro doc is jello, Italian ice, popsicles, apple juice, etc. I'm afraid if I follow these instructions, I'll spike and crash my glucose. I read somewhere about a product called Isopure, apparently a high protein no carb drink. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions are very welcome. Procedure isn't until May, so I've got some time to experiment beforehand.
I was told only to have black tea or water or clear soup ...all day
.yuk..butvi survived! Good luck

S M

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't drink coffee or tea, but I had heard about Isopure from another forum, so I drank Isopure and chicken broth for my liquid diet. My blood sugar was a little low by procedure time, but I made it through. There's no way I would have been ok on fruit juice, popsicles, jell-o, or any of their other sugary recommendations. My doctor didn't believe me that RH was a real thing, though, which was frustrating.

GeminiJune

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would personally opt for a virtual colonogrophy. This is less evasive. I have had both procedures and was left a little traumatised by the colonoscopy.