Little veins at sites

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been pumping for almost 6 years now. Recently I have noticed little thread veins that are quite visible near my cannula sites. The first one I thought was coincidence but there are a few more appearing near sites now. I rotate very carefully and haven't changed anything to do with my pump. I use inset II 6mm.

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know what they are or what causes them? Also do I have to try and avoid them when placing a new set?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't had this, @MushyPeaBrain but I've pumped for only 18 months so far.

I do find I get broken veins when I change my Libre sensor though - those things stick SO tight it's a wrestle to get them unstuck....

The only issue I have with cannula sites is getting the sticky residue off each time I change site. Have got scrubbing with a soapy wet flannel down to a fine art! ;)

Hope someone will be along in a sec with an answer re your veins. Watching with interest.

:):):)

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where are your sites? Or is this happening in a number of body areas?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The sites it's happening on are my hips. So far not happening in other regions but it's on both sides.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The sites it's happening on are my hips. So far not happening in other regions but it's on both sides.

Hmm, that does sound strange. Perhaps it just that area? I've never used my hips - only my tummy, bum and thighs.

I'm not sure where on your hips you're putting the set in, but I think if it was me, I'd swap to another area and see how that went.

You could ask your DSN too or even your GP, but if it's noticeable and worrying you, I'd leave that area for a while,personally.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I stop using my hips I have very little in the way of other sites. My legs/arms are too thin, too painful and were always a problem with mdi too. My stomach doesn't work due to scar tissue from years of mdi. I currently use my hips round to my back, then 4 sites across my front below my ribs and then the other hip to back side. I may have 4 sites on my bottom but I've never tried and due to other issues I currently don't want to be trying any new areas right now. I am hoping that using bio oil and gentle massage might help heal them.

I did email my DSN but she said she didn;t know what they were and to ask on my pump forum or see my GP.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you insert your sets? I pinch up and do mine manually. If you don't, perhaps trying that might help? Just an idea.

Another thought is the time of day you insert the set. If, say, you always do it in the morning after a shower, then perhaps try it away from shower time and a little later in the day @MushyPeaBrain

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to do it about an hour after a shower and I don't pinch as you have to keep inset II flat to fire the device. I have plenty of fat there without pinching as I've gained weight earlier in the year due to being on steroids. Not sure if being overweight might be a factor in them. I'm not obese but heavier than I'd like and hoping to lose the weight again.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've gained weight earlier in the year
Just a bit of lateral thinking on my part here @MushyPeaBrain - do bear with me - could the veins be stretch marks? I've been doing a lot of working out recently and on my 'new' muscles I've got the sorts of marks I was getting in my teenage growth spurt/grown-up weight gain phases. Just a thought.

:)

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a bit of lateral thinking on my part here @MushyPeaBrain - do bear with me - could the veins be stretch marks? I've been doing a lot of working out recently and on my 'new' muscles I've got the sorts of marks I was getting in my teenage growth spurt/grown-up weight gain phases. Just a thought.

I don;t know actually. These look exactly like purple thread veins and I always thought stretch marks were red but I could be wrong. I googled strech marks and spider veins came up and they look similar. Does that mean I don;t have to avoid them for cannulas?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh I don't know @MushyPeaBrain - I would perhaps try using that area for a cannula site and see how well it works, but obviously if it's not comfortable then you might need a plan B.

I like using my spare tyre between my waist and my hips, on the sides - but I think that's the area in question, isn't it?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don;t know actually. These look exactly like purple thread veins and I always thought stretch marks were red but I could be wrong. I googled strech marks and spider veins came up and they look similar. Does that mean I don;t have to avoid them for cannulas?

I think of thread veins as very thin - like the width of a hair. Stretch marks are thicker.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Snapsy yes that's the area but they are small and spaced out enough that I can probably avoid them. Just hope more don't appear. If it's weight related maybe they will go as I lose the weight.

@azure these are very thin like hairs but they do look like a tiny portion of spider veins images online. Plus my weight gain has been mainly round my middle where they are so suspect Snapsy is correct and they are similar to stretch marks.

Reactions: Snapsy and azure