1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

liver dump

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by cdpm, Nov 10, 2018.

1. cdpm

cdpm Type 2 · Well-Known Member

are there people who just have
    to accept that they cant change
    their "when they wake up fasting"
    numbers due to the liver dump?

i ask mainly to find out what others
    have tried
    so i can see what maybe i have not tried

is there anyone who has actually
    made it better gotten better numbers
    when they get up or is it just something
    we cant change?

2. Nexus6

Nexus6 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

In the past year, I almost always wake to 5.8 - 6.0....every single morning. I stay pretty LCHF etc and this will just not drop at waking..though I can get much consistently lower during the day.

Last week, wife was away so I thought the perfect opportunity to try some multi-day fasting...worked up to it and then did a 72 hour water/black coffee only fast (ended roughly Thursday noon).

Once I started, my blood glucose pretty well stayed solid at 5.3 the entire time (but still was higher the first two mornings) UNTIL I hit 48 hours fasting. Woke up to a 4.8, and it is like a switch turned on (or off). It was at that point my hunger pains went away etc as well.

I'm now back into some eating but only dinner every 24 hours (and a bit of heavy cream with coffee again in mornings), and very pleased with the numbers. Even AFTER some eating (including some carbs), I am not going above a 5.0.

So, just based on my experience....try a LONG water fast....it may change things. Still experimenting etc, but I will be taking fasting forward with me...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Nexus6

Nexus6 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Just to follow up....woke up to a 4.8 this morning!! I kinda pigged out last night for dinner as well....two low carb beers (Michelob Ultra) roasted chicken wings then re-fried with hot sauce/white vinegar/a touch of BBQ sauce (that has some sugar), huge spinach salad with mushrooms and lots of blue cheese dressing (also dipped the chicken wings in the dressing), as well as some celery and broccoli. A little later had a glass of red wine and two square of Lindt 85% chocolate.

Thought I would wake up higher and heavier....NOPE!! Going to stay on the 20/4 fasting regime. It seems to agree with me.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

My fasting numbers took about 6 months of ultra low carb and fasting before they came down to the levels I see now.. I'm still usually between 5 and 6 very rarely outside that band unless doing an extended fast. The past week I've been in the 4's for example.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook