OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi ,

I've just had a review after a full blood test. I find these tests somewhat disenabling . Prior to the tests no one took the time to explain what the tests were or their purpose. I explained this to the diabetic nurse who smiled and nodded in agreement . ,,,,So my sugar levels are normal but a I'm told that my serum globulin is "out" . Having googled liver issues and diabetes it looks lke this is a common issue so your thoughts are welcome.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How much is it "out" ?
What are your other liver function levels?
Are you on Metformin?
What is your Gamma GT level?

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Bluetit thanks for your response my serum globulin is 39 which I think is just a bit high is that right? I'm just trying to figure this stuff out by reading what I can ...thanks

No medication what so ever. I eat to my meter , maybe around 30 grams of carbs per day and at the mo am doing 10,000 steps per day despite this taking my glucose levels up , as I feel better when I'm fitter...

you asked about other liver functions, here they are I havent a clue what they mean and would welcome links to papers which may explain this:

Serum bilirubin 6 umol/l
Serum total protein 79 g/l
serum albumin 40 g/l
serum globulin 39 g/l
serum alkaline phosphate 107 u/l
serum ALT level 21 u/l

Last edited:

Dark Horse

Hi Bluetit thanks for your response my serum globulin is 39 which I think is just a bit high is that right? I'm just trying to figure this stuff out by reading what I can ...thanks

No medication what so ever. I eat to my meter , maybe around 30 grams of carbs per day and at the mo am doing 10,000 steps per day despite this taking my glucose levels up , as I feel better when I'm fitter...

you asked about other liver functions, here they are I havent a clue what they mean and would welcome links to papers which may explain this:

Serum bilirubin 6 umol/l
Serum total protein 79 g/l
serum albumin 40 g/l
serum globulin 39 g/l
serum alkaline phosphate 107 u/l
serum ALT level 21 u/l
The serum globulin seems to be slightly raised but normal ranges vary slightly from lab to lab so it's best to look at a print-out of the lab results - they normally put the normal range in brackets after the result and often state 'hi' if the value is above the normal range or 'lo' if it is below it. The rest of your results appear to be normal. (Try Googling 'normal range' or 'reference range' for each substance but check the units carefully as the US often uses different units and therefore has different normal ranges.)

There are many causes of a slightly raised globulin including fighting off an infection. Globulin is not just a single substance but a group of proteins and depending on which protein is raised, different conclusions can be drawn.Your GP may want to repeat the test (never trust a single blood test) or ask for a more detailed analysis to see if the underlying cause is significant.

There is some detailed information here:- https://patient.info/doctor/globulins

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for that info and thoughts , it does help

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Your ALT result is excellent!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Gamma GT level is also a marker for liver issues. It should be under 65.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@pms543

These are the standards as shown on my print out.

Bilrubin 0 to 21
Albumin 35 to 50
Alk Phos 30 to 130
ALT 3 to 53
Gamma GT 0 to 65

High ALT and Gamma GT are markers for a fatty liver.

Reactions: pms543

lindisfel

Expert
Hi PMS, your gamma GT is very high mine was high at over 140 a few years ago and was due to meds. If you are drinking alcohol I would try to wean yourself of it asap. The implications of fatty liver are not at all nice. regards Derek​

lindisfel

Expert
Thanks Derek for your concern I'm not actually a drinker in any way shape or form

I suspect I have a fatty liver due to non-alcohol related things
Hi PMS, I think your GP should send you PDQ to a Gastroenterologist. best wishes Derek

Last edited: