Lizi's granola cereal

VickiT11979

Has anyone tried this, and if so, how did it affect your BG?
I bought it from the low carb megastore, and was misled by the blurb on the site, as thought it said "7g carbs per serving", whereas it ACTUALLY said "glycaemic load 7g carbs per serving".
When I read the back of the pack it said there were 26.6g per serving, but then stated that it was slow release & had the same effect on BG as 7g glucose.
That sounds like rubbish to me - glucose is instant release, so the last thing I'd want is the effect of eating 7g of it.
As I need to do insulin to match the carbs I eat, I don't know if I should bolus or the 7g or the 26g!
I would have phoned them, but it's Sat today.
I ate it anyway 1hr 10min ago, bolused for 30g (including the milk), BG rose from 3.9 to a peak of about 7.8 on my CGM 15 min ago & is now slowly falling - 7.1 fingerstick & 7.2 CGM. I have to wait & see if I've overdone the bolus & it drops into a hypo, or if it really is slow release & has a steady fall.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A 3-4 mmol rise one hour postprandial looks fine to me, not to sure what to make of ''it was slow release & had the same effect on BG as 7g glucose'' but your bg does say otherwise.

At 26.6g of carbs per serving ( I assume it's a standard 40g serving) isn't any different to the jumbo oats I eat for my breakfast each morning at 24g per serving, the lower the gi the better so if it tastes fine and keeps your bg steady then stick with it :thumbup:

iHs

Hello Vicki

Not sure but I think that I've seen Lizi's sold in some supermarkets. I've never eaten it myself but would be interested to see what effect it has on your bg levels so do post your findings....

Porridge even large flake stuff throws a bit of a wobble for me and tends to make me go a bit on the high side so Ive given up and gone back to eating just 1 weetabix with 1 dsp of large flake porridge, a bit of cold water to soften the weetabix and then add a tsp of chopped up almonds and 2 tsp of plain live yogurt..... tastes nice and the bolus keeps in time to the way I digest the cereal...

The Dexcom G4 is showing really good results for you by the sounds of it :thumbup: Am seriously thinking about it myself but am waiting to see what the outcome is of C8 when it is launched some time this year.

VickiT11979

I would agree, but BG now 4.4 & falling quite fast according to CGM, I still have over half my insulin on board :(
I had All Bran on Thurs & BG rose from 6.8 to 13.4 with same I:C ratio, it returned to 5.8 by lunchtime so the bolus was correct. All Bran is supposed to have a low GI, but I know some people think GI is rubbish. Instant porridge also cause me a spike & I'm searching for cereal my meter will accept, but think will have to give up.
Was on holiday recently with a breakfast buffet & best thing for me was an omelette & bacon, could tolerate half a grapefruit & kiwi after that OK but if I ate the fruit first I had a spike. Just can't face cooking every morning.

rubecula

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vicki,
I've been eating Lizi's granola for about a month now and getting quite varied results. Best results are 6.6 and 6.5, 1 and 2 hrs after eating and 4.4 before lunch as against 5.7, 4.3 and 3.6 both sets of figures starting from 5.4 before breakfast. Activities on both days were similar. I reckoned it to be 30g carb (including milk and a cup of tea) and had 4 units Novorapid.

It's the second best breakfast I have found so far, the best being scrambled eggs and a slice of pumpernikel. I'm still struggling to do without bread. Wholegrain porridge gives me big spikes even when laced with bran flakes.
Good luck,
Robin

VickiT11979

What's C8?!
Yes, have loved the Dexcom trial, 1st sensor lasted almost 13days & am on day 10 of 2nd now. Sensors are easy to insert, comfortable & feel well attached, plus the size is fine. The accuracy has been good, a lot of the readings are like today's but sometimes it's out by quite a bit (eg finger 4.9, CGM 6.1, finger 3.2, CGM 4.1).
I am a really heavy sleeper & the hypo alarm on the Vibe pump doesn't wake me up - wakes hubby & he wakes me.
The hypo suspend feature with the Medtronic system might be better - getting a trial with that one end Jan so will update later.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not good if you've got half your insulin still on board :thumbdown:

Strange you should mention All Bran as that and Jumbo Oats are the two breakfast cereals that don't cause me huge postprandial spikes, the instant porridge oats that you mention are very high on the gi scale and guaranteed to cause a big PP spike and have bg crashing down hours after.

It might just be you can't handle carbs in the morning and may have to ditch the cereals, some low-carbers make their own version of Museli and Porridge and you will find the recipe in the Low Carb Food Section of the forum, failing that stick with the bacon & eggs.

rubecula

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure what's happening now. Had the granola this morning BG 7.1 before breakfast, just checked now and it's 11.3. As I've said before this diabetes lark is a really black art.

VickiT11979

Too right Rubecula, looking back to early Dec, with I:C ratio still 1:7, All Bran sent me down to 2.6 at 2hrs, I tried it again with I:C 1:9 & still dropped to 2.5 at 2hrs, so it makes no sense. Activity no different, not ill, so why 13.4 instead of 2.5?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I'm a Type 2 and don't use insulin. My suggestion would be to to add extra nuts and ground almonds to the granola (I do this and you don't notice them). This would bring the carb content of the granola down.

iHs

VickiT11979 said:
What's C8?!
Yes, have loved the Dexcom trial, 1st sensor lasted almost 13days & am on day 10 of 2nd now. Sensors are easy to insert, comfortable & feel well attached, plus the size is fine. The accuracy has been good, a lot of the readings are like today's but sometimes it's out by quite a bit (eg finger 4.9, CGM 6.1, finger 3.2, CGM 4.1).
I am a really heavy sleeper & the hypo alarm on the Vibe pump doesn't wake me up - wakes hubby & he wakes me.
The hypo suspend feature with the Medtronic system might be better - getting a trial with that one end Jan so will update later.

Hi C8 is the brainchild of a company in the states called C8 Medisensors. It was mentioned a while ago now on diabetesmine and I think the company came to the UK last year and got some feedback from members of INPUT and some other diabetics who have blogs (shootupandput up) (everydayupanddown) and a few others. Obviously, the diabetics who already have funded cgm were not all that interested in the C8 device but still gave it the :thumbup: as a way to go for people who are able to fund it themselves. I hope to be able to see it in the flesh, see it working correctly and then will buy it on the 30 day money-back-guarantee. For me... this type of thing will give me a rest from constant finger pricks that I do all day to make sure that the Accu chek Combo is working correctly with the settings I programme into it... There have been a few times now when a bg test has saved me from developing really high bg levels because of blocked cannula........

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vicki!

I had a really bad experience with Lizi' s granola. I bolused for the 7g it claims to act like - it acted like the 26 g it actually is! You can imagine where my BG ended up :roll: I emailed them to tell them and ask about their claim and theydidn' t bother to reply. I find that bolusing for the total amount of carb in it keeps my BG good at 2 hours but hypo at 3 hours. Reducing the bolus gives me crazy spikes at 1 hour. So I gave up on it. It seems like very quick release carb to me.

Take care

Smidge

VickiT11979

Hi Smidge,

Yes, that's exactly what happened, I ended up hypo (3.3) at 2 hrs after eating it. Stuck to omelette, bacon & weight watchers yoghurt today which worked perfectly. Just think I'll have to give up on cereal, but it does annoy me that it's marketed as being slow release but obviously isn't at all. Don't think it should be sold on a "low carb megastore" website when it's nowhere near low carb.