Local exercise partners?

C

CheeseJunkie

I'm looking for an exercise partner in my area... but am unsure whether there is any mechanism for finding one.

I know that exercise tends to be a lot better when you're working with someone else.

I have in the past been very active (cycling across countries, hiking across islands or up mountains) but am currently experiencing low energy with pre-diabetes and need to get back on track.

(I'm not keen on joining any of the obsessive joggers in my neighbourhood. Jogging has never been my thing, and they strike me as slightly bonkers.)

Reactions: 2 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might help if you mention where is your area?
Assuming you're in UK, I would recommend trying parkrun, free timed 5km runs on Saturday mornings, 9am in England & Wales, 9.30am in Soctland & Northern Ireland. Lots of people start by alternating running with jogging / walking. Most have a local cafe where runners and volunteers go after packing up. See www.parkrun.org.uk I completed my 51st a couple of weeks ago, and have taken part at 3 different home locations, in 2 cities, after I had to move house, plus 6 other locations when visiting family or friends or working nearby. Although there are some fast runners at each parkrun, there is a huge range of abilities, and there's always a volunteer tail runner, so you won't be last! So, you can ignore "obsessive joggers", although you'll probably find them more friendly than you might expect.
Also, orienteering is a good way to make walking more interesting - try putting name of your city / county plus orienteering into a search engine to find local club. Summer evening events are often particularly good places for new orienteers to start the sport. Just mention you're a beginner and ask for a bit of guidance if you need it.

C

CheeseJunkie

Thanks for your helpful response copepod.
I will follow up on the orienteering, for sure!

Parkrun unfortunately doesn't work for me as I have classes every Saturday morning - and it looks like all the events are 9am Saturday only (I've checked a number of parks). That's probably why I've never spotted them in the local parks. The issues I have with running is partly being bored to death by all the locals I know who jog, because all they ever talk about is that (especially the blokes) - which is why I call them obsessive :). And partly because I've sustained leg injuries that make pounding hard surfaces somewhat problematic. I've always been a hiker and a cyclist.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just take the blue pill, then the running doesn't seem so wierd.

If you are a cyclist, have you thought about joining your local club, most have a social Sat/Sunday ride with a lot of clubs catering for varying paces/abilities/intentions. Mine offers a Sunday ride for example and two Saturday rides aimed at being more inclusive with an easy paced shorter ride for those less experienced or only wanting soemthing gentle

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your helpful response copepod.
I will follow up on the orienteering, for sure!

Parkrun unfortunately doesn't work for me as I have classes every Saturday morning - and it looks like all the events are 9am Saturday only (I've checked a number of parks). That's probably why I've never spotted them in the local parks. The issues I have with running is partly being bored to death by all the locals I know who jog, because all they ever talk about is that (especially the blokes) - which is why I call them obsessive :). And partly because I've sustained leg injuries that make pounding hard surfaces somewhat problematic. I've always been a hiker and a cyclist.

parkruns are only ever at 9am on Saturday in England & Wales or 9.30am in Scotland & Northern Ireland, so not suitable if you have classes every Saturday morning. Except for Christmas Day and New Years Day, when some parkruns have extra sessions, not just at 9am eg NYD in Leeds it was possible to run at 9am at Woodhouse Moor and 10am at Roundhay Park.

Orienteering is definitely easier on joints, as usually much of running / walking is on trails or completely off road, with only very short sections on tarmac. Some urban events have relatively more on hard surfaces, but even these have considerable sections in parks and you can often run on verges beside roads.

You might also enjoy some longer mountain navigation events eg Great Lakeland 3 Day last weekend - you can compete as solo or pair in courses from Elite, through A and B to C for cafe. Cake, beer. cider, tea, coffee all provided free of charge at overnight campsites. Your kitbag of tent, sleeping bag & mat, stove, pot, mug, spare clothing, food for other days etc is transported by vans, so you only need to carry a small backpack with hill essentials. Trail Rush Sheffield on Sun 24th May is by the same group of people - see http://www.trail-rush.com/ 24.5km with 700m ascent, 79% off road. £25 entry now or £30 entry on day.

Some orienteers are obsessive, like some runners, some cyclists etc, but there are always a range of personalities in all sports, so don't be put off running by a few men you consider obsessive.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
There are websites out there for people with similar fitness things. I live remotely so no one ever comes up when I look. If you google exercise partners there are a few, of the top of y head I cant remember the names.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm looking for an exercise partner in my area... but am unsure whether there is any mechanism for finding one.

I know that exercise tends to be a lot better when you're working with someone else.

I have in the past been very active (cycling across countries, hiking across islands or up mountains) but am currently experiencing low energy with pre-diabetes and need to get back on track.

(I'm not keen on joining any of the obsessive joggers in my neighbourhood. Jogging has never been my thing, and they strike me as slightly bonkers.)

If you ever want a walking / hiking partner, I'm in the Dark Peak area of the Peak District -- I'd love to find someone to walk / hike with

Alternately, if you're far away, look up the Ramblers