Logging snacks - diaries.

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't like it when people judge a book by its cover - like my illness is hidden so don't judge so quickly.
Hi, I was just wondering who keeps a diary - logs there blood sugar levels and amount of insulin taken .
I have been given a new diary which has space for insulin doses to write down , however I have snacks sometimes and Fortisips , so there isn't enough columns to write them down . I was wondering how any of you keep logs of your levels and doses or whether you keep a separate food diary . I use to but does anyone know of any nice looking journals ?
Many thanks ;)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to keep really detailed notes but got,out of the habit years ago when the little books I used became unavailable. For a while I made my own with as many columns as I needed for tests, etc. I used to write snacks in the Notes section by each day.

If you prefer a book to an app (I do) then you could try a Google search for something suitable, or try some of the glucose meter companies (some have testing journals), or make your own either from scratch or by using a pretty journal.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I made my own out of a regular notebook.
I logged BS reading, time of day, insulin dose and what I ate in detail whether it was a meal or snack. This allowed me to figure out how many carbs, protein and fat I needed to get my correct insulin dose. It took awhile but I don't log much anymore because I stick to the same macros at each meal and I know my insulin dose. I also keep the size of the meal the same. I also know what I can snack on without needing additional insulin. I am definatley most insulin resistant in the morning. My meals can grow throughout the day and I can take the same dose for all meals.
Logging is also how I found I can't eat any carbs other than above ground veggies without having highs and lows. Logging in the beginning will give you lots of good information. I certainly advise it it doesn't have to be a formal journal. I found there was not enough room to be detailed. I simply had 3 columns on the left side. Time, BS and insulin. Then I just wrote in detail what I ate.

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't like it when people judge a book by its cover - like my illness is hidden so don't judge so quickly.
Just buy an A6 book that contains square paper. Do a day to a page and write the time, carbs and insulin, plus any other notes you need, sequentially. The squares help you to keep everything suitably aligned. This would do the job: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-Notebook-Graph-Chequered-Cream/dp/B00CANZ00U
Okay thanks , sounds logical ...I didn't think of using squared paper so I might give that a go.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I made my own out of a regular notebook.
I logged BS reading, time of day, insulin dose and what I ate in detail whether it was a meal or snack. This allowed me to figure out how many carbs, protein and fat I needed to get my correct insulin dose. It took awhile but I don't log much anymore because I stick to the same macros at each meal and I know my insulin dose. I also keep the size of the meal the same. I also know what I can snack on without needing additional insulin. I am definatley most insulin resistant in the morning. My meals can grow throughout the day and I can take the same dose for all meals.
Logging is also how I found I can't eat any carbs other than above ground veggies without having highs and lows. Logging in the beginning will give you lots of good information. I certainly advise it it doesn't have to be a formal journal. I found there was not enough room to be detailed. I simply had 3 columns on the left side. Time, BS and insulin. Then I just wrote in detail what I ate.

Thank you very much , yes I believe it will help me assatain what works best for me in terms of carbohydrates and insulin doses .
I might do the same and make a customized journal , thanks for the information and advice .

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I used to keep really detailed notes but got,out of the habit years ago when the little books I used became unavailable. For a while I made my own with as many columns as I needed for tests, etc. I used to write snacks in the Notes section by each day.

If you prefer a book to an app (I do) then you could try a Google search for something suitable, or try some of the glucose meter companies (some have testing journals), or make your own either from scratch or by using a pretty journal.
Okay I might do some browsing , thanks for the help

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
there is a DAFNE style one on the web. It is on an A4 size paper full with pages, Also shows the front cover. I saved it on my computer will try to find site and put a link on later.

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
there is a DAFNE style one on the web. It is on an A4 size paper full with pages, Also shows the front cover. I saved it on my computer will try to find site and put a link on later.
Okay thanks a lot , will try and find it

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
I've kept a diary since diagnosis 20yrs ago!! Just recording dosages & readings for that time of day/meal. Not for snacks or some corrections. I may note a change in a column on side of page if needed. My DSN doesn't ask what's happened inbetween these, just using the info I have recorded as a guide. I use the diary from Novo Nordisk, though not using that insulin!! Brad

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I can't find it now but i have it on

my computer so look at attached file

Attachments

• T1chart.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 159

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mobile phone is always with me so I keep my diary on there using an app called mySugr. There are also lots of other apps on the Android or Apple stores. If you have a smartphone it's a useful option.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been use an Android app on my phone since last August. I find electronic diaries very useful, that's only if you're doing something with all that information.

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've kept a diary since diagnosis 20yrs ago!! Just recording dosages & readings for that time of day/meal. Not for snacks or some corrections. I may note a change in a column on side of page if needed. My DSN doesn't ask what's happened inbetween these, just using the info I have recorded as a guide. I use the diary from Novo Nordisk, though not using that insulin!! Brad
Oh okay , thanks for the information . I'm finding it very helpful .

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My mobile phone is always with me so I keep my diary on there using an app called mySugr. There are also lots of other apps on the Android or Apple stores. If you have a smartphone it's a useful option.
Okay thanks , I might try an app for a while and see if i benefit from it .

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @t1caitlin

I feel a bit of a pack rat carrying all my diabetes components with me so decided I'd try the app. I am a bit of a techie so it also plays to my inner geek.

So this is a +1 to the MySugr app, I've paid to upgrade to the pro version (under £3/month) and I've really appreciated it. I've included 2 photos so you can see what it looks like when you've filled some data in. The second photo is taken from a handy export option so you can print it out as a PDF (or export as CSV / microsoft excel formats). It took me ages to find out that there is a key to the graph as I didn't know what the purple line was (activity measured from my apple watch that i'm borrowing, and it's automatically putting my activity into the MySugr app!).

Hope you find all you are looking for!

IMG_2094.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 21.23.29.png

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @t1caitlin

I feel a bit of a pack rat carrying all my diabetes components with me so decided I'd try the app. I am a bit of a techie so it also plays to my inner geek.

So this is a +1 to the MySugr app, I've paid to upgrade to the pro version (under £3/month) and I've really appreciated it. I've included 2 photos so you can see what it looks like when you've filled some data in. The second photo is taken from a handy export option so you can print it out as a PDF (or export as CSV / microsoft excel formats). It took me ages to find out that there is a key to the graph as I didn't know what the purple line was (activity measured from my apple watch that i'm borrowing, and it's automatically putting my activity into the MySugr app!).

Hope you find all you are looking for!

View attachment 19024

View attachment 19023

Okay that looks really helpful ... Thanks alot ...The graph and data sheets look fairly logical .

iHs

Accuchek should be able to issue bolus basal users a pump bg diary which has space for carb, bolus, basal, bg levels, correction doses and food details. I would be lost without a bg diary