Long acting insulin that only requires once weekly injections

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't know whether anyone else saw this story that came out of the ADA scientific sessions, but Novo have just completed a phase 2 trial of Icodec with people with Type 2 Diabetes. Icodec is a once weekly long acting insulin. The phase two trial data for those with type 2 found that the insulin performed no worse than Lantus. There's also a trial ongoing with people with type 1.

There are some more details here, but I wondered what people think about a long acting insulin that only needs injecting once per week?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
here are some more details here, but I wondered what people think about a long acting insulin that only needs injecting once per week?

It could be great for injection phobic T2s (and possibly T1s) but personally I prefer to be able to modify my long acting insulin every day, as my insulin resistance can vary a fair amount according to my exercise regime.

But more choice is always good.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it works well, I think it can be a useful addition to existing insulins.
I can imagine how it's helpful for people with a great fear of injecting or people who aren't capable of injecting themselves for whatever reasons.

For me personally, no thanks. Much easier to remember something you need to do every day at around the same time than something that needs doing once a week.
It would need to be U1000 or such for me to keep the amount of insulin injected a reasonable volume. I wouldn't like to inject 7 times 80 units of U100 insulin at once.

TypeZero.

Personally I don’t see it helping me because I think it’s easier to remember to inject daily rather than once-weekly and you won’t be able to adjust your basal if you’re having an active day