Long-haul Flying

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times over the years but I'm new around here.

I am going to be flying to Australia and staying there long enough to need to take a dozen insulin pens, plus all the other paraphernalia. I know about keeping the vital stuff in hand luggage and splitting between 2 bags. I have also checked that my brands are available out there should I lose my supplies en route. My main concern is to keep the unopened stock cool for the 40+ hours door to door.

Insulation and ice packs are the obvious solution but I'm concerned that airport security might confiscate the ice packs.

Anyone dealt with this problem - particularly when changing planes in a 3rd world country?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@snowleopard Airport security will confiscate ice packs as they're liquid. I've had mine confiscated before. Use a Frio wallet.

Also, take reusable insulin pens and then you can just take a pack of two of cartridges. A big space saving, and the pens are more robust too.

Take a doctors letter too, and a copy of your prescription.

Reactions: 4 people

doug_j

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@snowleopard Airport security will confiscate ice packs as they're liquid. I've had mine confiscated before. Use a Frio wallet.

Also, take reusable insulin pens and then you can just take a pack of two of cartridges. A big space saving, and the pens are more robust too.

Take a doctors letter too, and a copy of your prescription.
How many pens does the frio wallet hold I'm on humalog mix25

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've got to, one carries 2, the other 4-6 depending how much it is plumped up. If you go on the Frio website it tells you. Also their customer sales staff are happy to help

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How many pens does the frio wallet hold I'm on humalog mix25

There are different sizes of Frio wallets.

It's easiest to take re-usable pens and then just keep the cartridges in the Frio, eg if on Humalog, use the Luxura reusable pen and normal 3ml Humalog pen cartridges that you just slip in (a bit like an old-fashioned writing pen). That way you have your two pens - one for bolus, one for basal - then replace the cartridges as necessary.