Long term effects of hypos

Stephie

Reassure me, please. Recently I've had some quite serious hypos during the night / early hours of the morning. My husband has to force feed me and I have no idea where I am for a good 20 mins. That's alarming in itself, but I've noticed that even when my blood sugar has moved out of the danger zone I still feel weak and confused, I'm uncoordinated, I fumble and drop things. It happened this morning and I was still feeling weird when my blood sugar had gone up to 8.2. Is this normal? I'm concerned that hypos are causing me to lose brain cells on a permanent basis. I really have noticed that in recent years I get confused easily and have a pretty poor memory - not sure whether to put this down to age (I'm 40) or if it's a long term effect of hypos (I've been type 1 for 18 years, generally well-controlled, more hypos recently).

jopar

stepehie

This is v ery common after a hypo, there is a assumption that once the BG has returned to 4mmol/l and back in the normal range that everything returns to normal... But it can take a while to feel right again depening in the main on how low your BG has gone...

Before I started to use a insulin pump, hypos even a mild one where I've gone down to mid 3's I found that it would take half a hour before I stopped shaking and my concertration returned... And at times with the with concertration it good take quite a while for it to return fully..

If you are having increased hypo's the best thing that you can do is monitor you control to see if you can see a pattern any where or anything that has changed that might have a effect on your contol, as if you having frequent hypo's it might be that you may need to reduce one of your insulins..

Do you carb count? and use the basal/boulus method....

caitycakes1

Hiya,

Read somewhere (can't remember where) that it takes at the very least 45 mins for brain function to return to normal after a hypo so this is maybe why you feel off for a while after. Hope this helps.

Caitycakes x

lilibet

Hi Steph

Although the advice for checking all is 'well' is 15 mins, it can take time to actually feel better. The DVLA guidelines urge you not to drive for 45 mins after a hypo and I personally have felt quite washed out for up to an hour and beyond. Ive read conflicting views on long term damage and choose to believe the ones that say that neuroglypenic (sic) effects are only temporary.

L

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
I have quite often 2 to 5 Hypos in one day along with a thing called Cluster Headache
on that (don't ask) you can walk away from a 1.9mml Hypo, or want to die after a 3.2mml Hypo
there is very little logic to it!
Hypos are like the Earthquake Scale 5.0 is good 8.9 Forget it???
On the Bright Side (I Think) I have done just under 33 years as a Type 1 about 47,000 jabs