Long term nutritional ketosis and BG control

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm a bit puzzled (as usual) so I thought I'd post a bit about it here.

I've been in long term nutritional ketosis since last January (2017) , checking irregularly with Ketostix and more recently a blood ketone monitor (to prove that what the Ketostix were suggesting was reasonably accurate).

My current HbA1c is 6.2%.

My weight is (reasonably) stable at around 12 stone 2 pounds (6 foot tall).

My current lipids (from very recent blood test):

LDL _____________________________ 4.10 _________Satisfactory. No further action.
HDL ____________________________ 1.83 _________Satisfactory. No further action. (Above high reference limit.)
Triglycerides ____________________ 1.51 _________Normal. No further action.
Total cholesterol ________________ 6.62 _________Abnormal (action required notes that I have a review booked).
Cholesterol/HDL ratio ___________ 3.62 _________Satisfactory. No further action. (Part of HDL report.)

Now received wisdom about long term LCHF and nutritional ketosis is that your cholesterol levels will settle down nicely after a while once you stop losing weight and burning your fat stores. Also that most cholesterol is manufactured in the body with the main culprit being carbohydrates.

Also, that once you switch over to burning ketones for energy (nutritional ketosis) your need for carbohydrates and therefore insulin should drop down and your BG should normalise and insulin production should fall. Also, your insulin resistance should decrease.Looking at it another way, if you were struggling to produce enough insulin before, to counter the mixture of insulin resistance and too many carbohydrates, then the reduction of demand for insulin should allow your pancreas to cope.

So I am in long term nutritional ketosis but still running high cholesterol (I'm quite happy about that) but also higher than ideal BG.

The big puzzle is what exactly regulates your BG level when you are in nutritional ketosis. If it is the same mechanism as usual, perhaps the mechanism is broken despite there being much less demand?

Something must decide how much glucose your body needs to manufacture to keep your brain and blood cells happy (as far as I recall these are the only two organs which can't run completely on ketones).

Something decides to release more insulin from the pancreas or release more glucose from the liver to maintain a balance.
Something decides how much gluconeogenesis is required to top up the glucose store if you are burning more glucose than you are eating.

Anyway, puzzled.

Things I could do:

Eat more fat.
Eat less protein.
Eat even less carbohydrate.
Give up the booze (sob).

However there must come a point where the level of sensory deprivation becomes worse than the elevated blood sugars. Remember children, every time you give up a pleasure somewhere in the world a fairy dies.

My immediate plan is to ask for a blood test for insulin levels and some kind of estimate of insulin resistance/visceral fat. This might help me narrow down my options a little.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What have your blood ketone readings been recently? If you are happy to share?

Reactions: dbr10

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My simplified view is that our liver is not that great when it comes to multitasking...it can't handle carbs, fats and alcohol all at the same time...it will prioritize to clear the alcohol, then the carbs and finally move on to the fats...

So if we are to keep it busy working on carbs and carbs, we never quite reach the point to effective burn up the stored fats and we keep lots of fats circulating around.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do your finger prick tests bear any resemblance to your HbA1c (which averages 7.3mmol/l)

If they don't, have you considered the possibility that your HbA1c is unreliable? There are many reasons why this happens, and believe me I have researched this a lot because it happens to me.

My last HbA1c was 44 (exactly the same as yours) but my frequent (some may say obsessive) testing and my Libre both show that I rarely exceed 7mmol/l at any time, and when I do, it is brief. My Libre target is 4 to 7mmol/l and the one immediately before my last HbA1c said I was under 7 for 99% of the time.

For this reason I keep a very close eye on my full blood counts - the red ones. I have self-diagnosed myself as a person whose red blood cells live far too long, and are verging on the edge of being too big. My non-scientific brain tells me the bigger they are, the more glucose sticks to them!

Reactions: ziggy_w and dbr10

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Haven't tested recently - I tend to have a burst of testing then a break - but my results were around 6.1 to 7.6 at the beginning of July.

Ketones were around 1.5 - 4 on the Ketostix and were around 2 IIRC.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't tested recently - I tend to have a burst of testing then a break - but my results were around 6.1 to 7.6 at the beginning of July.

Ketones were around 1.5 - 4 on the Ketostix and were around 2 IIRC.

I know nothing about ketones. I don't test mine. Maybe I should.

Is it worth my while nagging you to start some organised testing, if only for a week or two, and analysing what it is telling you as regards your levels? Perhaps just concentrating on post meals trying to find the peaks before the 2 hour mark, and seeing if something is amiss there? You may be able to eliminate the possibility that your HbA1c is unreliable, or it may tell you it is fine.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
:)
Possibly worthwhile me nagging myself.
I was going to hold off until after my review and discussions about further tests.
I may take a few morning readings.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What will morning readings tell you?
Personally, I find they tell me nothing. I don't know why I waste strips doing them. But post meal tests tell me a lot, such as how well (or otherwise) my insulin is working. I no longer test meals for learning about meals, but learning about insulin response is informative.