Long term success - you CAN do it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just remembered something else the doc said. She was very worried that I was having hypos so I spent some time explaining to her how that wasn’t possible in the absence of exogenous insulin and carbs. She thought metformin had a direct effect on blood sugar and didn’t know what gluconeogenesis was or fat adaptation.

She does now though.
I gave you “informative” on behalf of your dr. It’s very scary she didn’t know about the metformin, not great but slightly less worrisome about gluconeogenesis or fat adaptation

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c just in...27

That’s 11 years of keto and carnivore since April.
Trigs are up (for me) to1.0 but that will be the transition in my diet and still ‘normal’.

Doctor thinks I’m cured so I said let’s tell the Lancet and she laughed.

Happy Lib.

Absolutely wonderfully done, @wiflib. What an inspiration! Eleven years in and still going strong -- you must be one of the first people having adopted this woe. Hope all of us will follow in your footsteps.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely wonderfully done, @wiflib. What an inspiration! Eleven years in and still going strong -- you must be one of the first people having adopted this woe. Hope all of us will follow in your footsteps.

There were quite a few of us here in the early days that were told we would get scurvy and die through lack of carbs by various dire conditions bought on by not eating bread and potatoes. We were accused of promoting an unhealthy, unsustainable WOE that would kill others and some of us were banned.
Even I did a big ole flounce a few years back!

I think it was Dr David Unwin that said all those millions of n=1 all add up to overwhelming evidence that diabetics simply cannot process carbs.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There were quite a few of us here in the early days that were told we would get scurvy and die through lack of carbs by various dire conditions bought on by not eating bread and potatoes. We were accused of promoting an unhealthy, unsustainable WOE that would kill others and some of us were banned.
Even I did a big ole flounce a few years back!

I think it was Dr David Unwin that said all those millions of n=1 all add up to overwhelming evidence that diabetics simply cannot process carbs.

Wow, this really is persistance in the face of adversity, @wiflib. You are a true trailblazer. It hard to imagine how hard it must have been back then. Good, though, to see that times have changed, at least to some extent -- even though lc/keto still seems to be a far way from being one of the standard recommendations for T2s (as in my mind it should be).

I'm now four years in and with every passing year, I am getting more hopeful that remission might be long-term.

Your success is such an inspiration -- and without pioneers like you, we might have never gotten this far.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, this really is persistance in the face of adversity, @wiflib. You are a true trailblazer. It hard to imagine how hard it must have been back then. Good, though, to see that times have changed, at least to some extent -- even though lc/keto still seems to be a far way from being one of the standard recommendations for T2s (as in my mind it should be).

I'm now four years in and with every passing year, I am getting more hopeful that remission might be long-term.

Your success is such an inspiration -- and without pioneers like you, we might have never gotten this far.

Gosh thanks. There are many that came before the rebels on here and I jumped on the back of their successes very quickly!

What I get great pleasure from is seeing family and friends taking on board what I do and adapting it for themselves and the incredibly steep learning curve and knowledge that’s pouring out of the research and my particular interest is why people aren’t able to make the changes to improve their health in the face of undeniable facts, just like I was all those years ago.

Reactions: HSSS and Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow it’s particularly inspirational that you’ve been eating very low carb for 11 years and getting better results as you’ve gone along - funny that for what is we are all told is a progressive illness and that the lCHF way of eating is not sustainable!
I’ve only been at it for the last two years but really wish I hadn’t accepted conventional advice and meds for my first two years after diagnosis four years ago. I have this site to thank for making me aware of the alternative route when I googled a couple of years ago. Well done for trailblazing and demonstrating just what’s possible.

Reactions: wiflib and Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh thanks. There are many that came before the rebels on here and I jumped on the back of their successes very quickly!

What I get great pleasure from is seeing family and friends taking on board what I do and adapting it for themselves and the incredibly steep learning curve and knowledge that’s pouring out of the research and my particular interest is why people aren’t able to make the changes to improve their health in the face of undeniable facts, just like I was all those years ago.

Hey... forgot to name you SUPERSTAR!