Looking for someone to talk to

dhogue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had my first day of sub 250 readings all day which is a plus. Have had a crushing headache all day however

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my first day of sub 250 readings all day which is a plus. Have had a crushing headache all day however

That's normal in the beginning. Make sure you have Tylenol, it'll pass in a few days. As your body gets used to lower glucose levels these symptoms go away

SweetSophia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I was diagnosed with T1D in june this year and I've just turned 20. I was in DKA, bs 26.1, hba1c 11.2%.
In my country there is a very stupid protocol: regardless of your condition, when you start taking insulin, you have to use regular(human) insulin, no analogues, because this is cheaper. That's the reason I'm still using that insulin, but I hope I will be able to get novorapid/levemir combo in a couple of months.
In the beginning my doses were higher than they are now. We have to keep in mind that when we have completely unregulated T1D and we come to the point where our bodies are extremely dehydrated and acidotic, it's a HUUUGE stress for the organism. I think high blood sugar levels in the beginning are due to that stress and shock our bodies have suffered, although I might be wrong.
Anyway, now I'm much better and I hope my a1c is going to be better when I check it for the first time after diagnosis.

Have you faced lots of prejudice about diabetes? I'm not surprised people don't know anything about the disease (I didn't know anything before I was diagnosed), but if you know nothing about a certain topic, you shouldn't give "advice" about it, right?
It makes me really frustrated. I've tried so hard to do my research about metabolism, glucose uptake, insulin etc. and then I have to listen to someone ignorant telling me it's my fault and telling me about all the stuff I "MUST DO now that I have diabetes".
What problems do you have? Are your family and friends supportive?

Reactions: himtoo

Type1Wonder_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey! I'm 21 I get diagnosed 2 years ago! I'm okay with it now but sugars are up and down at times. Hope you get the hang of it soon..!