1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Loop...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by h4kr, Jul 5, 2019.

1. h4kr

h4kr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So, I have taken the plunge.. self funded Dexcom g6 and I have to say I love this cgm.
    I was on mdi and setup loop with my numbers and went open loop for a week to test. Great to test the app and the interaction with my g6 (pump simulator mode).
    I had a consultant appointment and he is putting through a funding request for omnipod.. /excited!!

Anyway, t1d is on pod.. so this week I ‘borrowed’ one and have closed the loop to test (I know the risks.. but am just impatient!).

It’s only been a day .. but loop is behaving amazingly, just thought I’d share my experience with this amazing bit of kit! Big shoutout to the open source/diy community for their time and effort!

When I got diagnosed and saw the lack of tech being offered by the nhs I was so disheartened, projects like loop/openaaps etc. fill this severe gap in the diabetes care market.

Once I’ve tested this for a single pod, I plan on moving my daughter to loop for the summer hols where I can monitor her closely.. hoping to bring her a1c down from 9.5+ something the dsn/consultants have not been able to do for the past year and a bit.

IMG_9660.jpg IMG_9662.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Great post and glad to hear the 1st day has gone well - would love to hear more as time goes on so please keep us updated :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @h4kr, very well done with your looping!
    Just a thought about your daughter who a assume is also TID.
    And assuming she is under 18, paediatric endocrinologists may be paranoid about their patients and about hypos in particular.
    It may be wise to ensure they are fully aware and involved in anything you plan to do with looping with her.
    And just to add another 'wrinkle', have you thought about adding low carb and keto diets into the mix for yoursekkf ampnd amybe your daughter with the provisoes mentioned above?

4. h4kr

Yeah, I’m in conversation with my daughters team weekly, we are struggling to level her, so they are waiting on results of my test ;)
    If all goes well, we will be looking at a funding request for Dexcom for her.

As to low carb/keto.. I have done this myself with a lot of success, unfortunately we want to keep daughters diet/life as ‘normal’ as possible and she loves pizza, pasta, breads, etc.. so we will make diabetes live with us not the inverse ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello new Looper - I started Looping myself just two days ago :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The middle pic is a dexcom, is the left an omnipod? And on the right?

7. Mel dCP

That’s a RileyLink - the little widget that talks to the pump :)

8. evilclive

9. h4kr

So, 1 pod (3 days in) and I have to admit I love this system. I will self fund omnipod if I can’t get nhs funding (will have to sell my jeep!!).
    Bolusing is a synch, I have had a couple of lows, buts that’s my playing with basal rates ..
    but what a difference a few days makes!!

IMG_9677.jpg IMG_1562521804.647130.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. h4kr

How are you finding it?

11. Mel dCP

Amazing! Been 100% in my 3.8-7mmol range for the last 48 hours. Almost as good as having a pancreas :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mel dCP

Except my pancreas is on the outside and needs recharging every night...

Just ordered a red dog tag to attach to it to say it’s a critical medical device, not to be removed from my person :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you pioneers in this field.With super computers in phones,AI coming at light speed....this looks so so so promising.Thank you for the most up to date,real person info, and the education,its really appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

been looping for around 3-4 months now, different set up but it is really a game changer

• Like Like x 2
  15. kitedoc

What science-based, and based on many years of experience range of BSLs are regarded as best to prevent future diabetes complications ?
    And is/are this/these range(s) what people who are looping such as the OP and respondents, are using.?
    And how compatible with regulations regarding required BSLs for safe driving are these ranges and control via looping?
    I am not referring to manufacturer-set insulin pump bsl ranges for looping.

16. Mel dCP

My Loop is set to run 4.8-5.6mmol and it seems to be doing it well so far. I can set an override for the journey to work to keep it a little higher if I desire.

U.K. driving rules state that you must be above 4mmol to drive, between 4 and 5 to take some carbohydrate before driving; and if you drop below 4 you must raise your level to 5 and keep it there for 45 minutes before driving. I check against blood before driving and every two hours as per the law - DVLA has just scored me my group two bus and lorry licence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #16 Mel dCP, Jul 8, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  17. Mel dCP

Last night. Loop is almost taking the fun out of diabetes ;)

4AEC6E3D-3A01-47D0-A491-9679911A94D2.png

• Like Like x 1
  18. kitedoc

Apologies @Mel dCP, i thought it was 5 to drive' and that is my recollection from past threads. Has it changed?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mel dCP

That’s the guideline they give because it’s easy to remember. The actual law is as I have stated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. evilclive

Indeed - easy to remember and gives people a bit of protection if eg they're just using fingerpricks and can't see trends.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook