Loop...

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I have taken the plunge.. self funded Dexcom g6 and I have to say I love this cgm.
I was on mdi and setup loop with my numbers and went open loop for a week to test. Great to test the app and the interaction with my g6 (pump simulator mode).
I had a consultant appointment and he is putting through a funding request for omnipod.. /excited!!

Anyway, t1d is on pod.. so this week I ‘borrowed’ one and have closed the loop to test (I know the risks.. but am just impatient!).

It’s only been a day .. but loop is behaving amazingly, just thought I’d share my experience with this amazing bit of kit! Big shoutout to the open source/diy community for their time and effort!

When I got diagnosed and saw the lack of tech being offered by the nhs I was so disheartened, projects like loop/openaaps etc. fill this severe gap in the diabetes care market.

Once I’ve tested this for a single pod, I plan on moving my daughter to loop for the summer hols where I can monitor her closely.. hoping to bring her a1c down from 9.5+ something the dsn/consultants have not been able to do for the past year and a bit.

IMG_9660.jpg
IMG_9662.jpg

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Great post and glad to hear the 1st day has gone well - would love to hear more as time goes on so please keep us updated :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @h4kr, very well done with your looping!
Just a thought about your daughter who a assume is also TID.
And assuming she is under 18, paediatric endocrinologists may be paranoid about their patients and about hypos in particular.
It may be wise to ensure they are fully aware and involved in anything you plan to do with looping with her.
And just to add another 'wrinkle', have you thought about adding low carb and keto diets into the mix for yoursekkf ampnd amybe your daughter with the provisoes mentioned above?

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I’m in conversation with my daughters team weekly, we are struggling to level her, so they are waiting on results of my test ;)
If all goes well, we will be looking at a funding request for Dexcom for her.

As to low carb/keto.. I have done this myself with a lot of success, unfortunately we want to keep daughters diet/life as ‘normal’ as possible and she loves pizza, pasta, breads, etc.. so we will make diabetes live with us not the inverse ;)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The middle pic is a dexcom, is the left an omnipod? And on the right?

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, 1 pod (3 days in) and I have to admit I love this system. I will self fund omnipod if I can’t get nhs funding (will have to sell my jeep!!).
Bolusing is a synch, I have had a couple of lows, buts that’s my playing with basal rates ..
but what a difference a few days makes!!

IMG_9677.jpg
IMG_1562521804.647130.jpg

Reactions: DunePlodder

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Except my pancreas is on the outside and needs recharging every night...

Just ordered a red dog tag to attach to it to say it’s a critical medical device, not to be removed from my person :)

Reactions: h4kr

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you pioneers in this field.With super computers in phones,AI coming at light speed....this looks so so so promising.Thank you for the most up to date,real person info, and the education,its really appreciated.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
been looping for around 3-4 months now, different set up but it is really a game changer

Reactions: h4kr and LooperCat

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
What science-based, and based on many years of experience range of BSLs are regarded as best to prevent future diabetes complications ?
And is/are this/these range(s) what people who are looping such as the OP and respondents, are using.?
And how compatible with regulations regarding required BSLs for safe driving are these ranges and control via looping?
I am not referring to manufacturer-set insulin pump bsl ranges for looping.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My Loop is set to run 4.8-5.6mmol and it seems to be doing it well so far. I can set an override for the journey to work to keep it a little higher if I desire.

U.K. driving rules state that you must be above 4mmol to drive, between 4 and 5 to take some carbohydrate before driving; and if you drop below 4 you must raise your level to 5 and keep it there for 45 minutes before driving. I check against blood before driving and every two hours as per the law - DVLA has just scored me my group two bus and lorry licence.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Apologies @Mel dCP, i thought it was 5 to drive' and that is my recollection from past threads. Has it changed?

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s the guideline they give because it’s easy to remember. The actual law is as I have stated.

Indeed - easy to remember and gives people a bit of protection if eg they're just using fingerpricks and can't see trends.

Reactions: LooperCat