1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Losartan

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by searley, Apr 4, 2020.

1. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve just been prescribed losartan for blood pressure, I’ve taken it for 4 days now..

But from the very first day I’ve had blood glucose level issues.. if I take the amount of insulin I normally take for food/correction the BG crashes fast.. a few times after food if found myself drop from 9mmol for 3.5 mmol I’ve adjusted my basal insulin down quite a bit but this will take a few to take effect as it’s tresiba.. I’ve reduced my insulin to carb ratio and waiting to see what happens today.

Anyone else have experience of this? I’m interested to know if this is a temporary issue

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @searley

Did your medication come with a PIL? (Patient Information Leaflet).

"In Summary
    Commonly reported side effects of losartan include: asthenia, chest pain, diarrhea, fatigue, and hypoglycemia. Other side effects include: hyperkalemia, hypotension, and orthostatic hypotension. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects."

I find it strange that you were not warned about the possible side effects as an insulin user.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. searley

Yes I did read that... and I’m left unsure what to do for the best if I don’t take insulin then my levels don’t go to low, but as a T1 I don’t know how little insulin a can take before I’m putting myself at risk

4. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think all you can do is reduce the insulin doses slowly and keep checking your blood glucose levels to see if they level out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you able to talk to your diabetic team by phone? This is the sort of issue they ought to be knowledgeable about....

6. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In my experience, a lot of doctors know very little about the possible side-effects of anything they prescribe, but if anybody wants me to swallow anything these days, I remind them I am type 1 and ask if there are any side-effects I need to know about. The GP I see most often now checks on side-effects and reads them out without my having to ask.

7. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@searley How are things now ? It would certainly be worth telling your doctors about this problem, as it strikes me that if you are ever switched to any other sort of BP medication, your BS will be affected all over again - and may spike high. If there is ever a manufacturing problem which affects the supply of a drug for example, you can get switched to a different drug to control BP. In your position, I would keep a note about the effect of Losartan had on you when you first started it, as a safety measure.

8. searley

I’ve reduced my tresiba.. and as work won’t allow my in at the moment so am slightly less active my bg levels are no longer crashing I’m keen to stay on them for a couple more weeks to see what happens as my BP is at a level it needs reducing.

However the last time I took BP meds about 8 years ago I ended up on 5 tablets at maximum dose and my BP was still high.

I agreed with the GP to try this one to see what effect it has

9. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Glad you are able to talk about this with your gp. I am taking a sartan (irbesartan) and have had no side effects that I have noticed. I am taking it for kidney disease but it is an anti hypertensive too.
    The other option is to drop carbs/increase exercise over the longer term. Not to mention eating cruciferous veg (brocoli and cauliflower etc.\.
    Fortunately this isn't in the Ace Inhibitor class of meds that is rumoured to make you more vulnerable to CoVid complications.

• Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook