losing warnings of hypo`

dobber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
:D
Not been on for a while i hope you are all ok.

I had a bit of a scare the other day. I felt a hypo comming on so I tested myself and it was 2.4 :shock: . So i done the usual and got my sugar up. This frightened me because i have had a few hypos now and it has bee between 3.3 to 3.8 when i noticed the symptoms. Do the symptoms go, I mean diappear and bang you can't do anything or what. :shock: :shock: It also scared me as i was losing my vision and getting a bit disorientated. Should I go and see a Dr.? Most of the time i'm ok.

Thanks in advance

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi dobber,

In people with long-term diabetes, it is estimated that 20% of people lose their hypo awareness symptoms. The usual advice is to run your blood glucose a little higher than normal for a few weeks to get the warning signs back. The vision and disorientation are common symptoms of a hypo, I also get those when running low. Try having a word with your diabetes nurse about this and any other concerns you may have.

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dobber said:
Sorry i forgot to say i am type 2

You got that in before I submitted my post, it may be that you need to adjust your medication to prevent you running low, again your diabetes nurse can advise. As I am not type 2, perhaps others may be able to offer advice on this matter.

Nigel

pang3e

Hi Dobber
I'm type 2 and have been on metformin 1000mgs a day for 5yrs now. The past year I started having hypos, I never used to test my bs levels until about three months ago and now only test them when I feel bad.
I started by shaking, vison problems, becoming more irritable, finding it difficult to focus/concentrate and missing meals and sometimes it was down to a combination of missing meals and having taken two tabs together which lowered my bs levels enuf to have a hypo.

My diabetic nurse told me one useful thing - that is, if you're taking - say two tabs per day then you can take them separately at different times of the day if it's about missing meals or dosage being too much- I thought I had to take them both together so its a good idea to discuss this with your nurse.

Hope that helps :eek:

Ang