Losing weight on a high fat diet!

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi guys, since July 1st I have given up potatoes, pasta and rice. However I've replaced them with squash (mainly for fries), cauliflower (Rice, pizza bases etc), Carrot and parsnip (Mash potato), and I have given up margarine for real butter...And lard, butter or olive oil to fry veg etc.... And I eat so much cheese, and so many eggs now.....And bacon! (Never ate bacon before).

My BS are much better now, but I'm loosing weight!! When I started in July I was around 76 kg and gaining....Now after such a short time, I'm 68 kg.......
My question.....If I have given up all these low fat foods like margarine and sunflower oil....how can I be losing weight?

Reactions: 2 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Read this article from the BBC....I think I've proved it wrong!
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33905745

I also forgot to mention the amount of full cream I put in my Cauliflower cheese.....More fat! :)
I was always told to try and remove these foods from my diet.....Well, hasn't done me any harm (I think)!!!

I will worry if I go lower than 68 kg....Not normal for me.....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations, :D you have discovered the low carb high fat diet.

It is becoming increasingly popular for weight loss and control of blood glucose by some type 2s

you may find this website interesting http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Reactions: 7 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, well done! As Brunneria says, you have discovered that low car/high fat works, and must have got the balance right. Getting the right balance between lowering carbs and increasing fat is the difficult bit. I lost 4st. 7lbs on this diet in addition to bringing my BS under control and lowering my cholesterol. If you want to stop losing weight you will need to have a re-think. I didn't want to increase my carbs, so I increased my fats even more to get those extra calories, and managed to stabilise my weight.

Reactions: 8 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Eating full-fat in conjunction with low carbs triggers the body into burning stored fat as fuel.

Reactions: 6 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thanks for the reply, and the congrats guys.......
The last time I went to the docs was (I think) last May, and everything was bad news :-(....I'm hoping this October (My next appointment) will show vast improvements :) Fingers crossed!
The cholesterol reading worries me though....especially with all the fat I'm eating.....
Anyway, we will see, and although it's some time away, I will let you know what the results are.
Rob

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The cholesterol reading worries me though....especially with all the fat I'm eating.....

Cholesterol is essential for the body and brain to function. About 80% is produced by the liver, a natural process, only a small amount comes from food. If you eat fat and reduce carbs your HDL ('good cholesterol') will increase and triglycerides will decrease - focus on this and not the total cholesterol figure which is pretty meaningless (apart from triggering the knee-jerk reaction to prescribe statins).

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As above, also cholesterol is a natural function. Your body will react favourably towards good cholesterol the longer you are losing weight and controlling your blood glucose levels.
It is a natural process, eating natural fats and good low carb foods.

Well done, congrats on your weight loss!

Reactions: 4 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
It's counter-intuitive, isn't it? To lose fat, eat more fat! I've been doing this for 4 weeks now and lost half a stone.I look and feel so much better and I've even got the beginnings of a six-pack! I've got my 3 month review in two weeks and I can't wait to see the comparison from when I was diagnosed.

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I kind of understand about cholesterol now...thanks guys!!.....Its like the good cop bad cop scenario.....However, cholesterol results can be deceiving that all cholesterol is bad. That's how the doctors portray it.

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
@GeoffersTaylor Yes mate, very!! But if you got any pointers on how to get a six pack....I'm all ears...... :) I lost weight, but still wobbly lol ........

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Cholesterol is essential for the body and brain to function. About 80% is produced by the liver, a natural process, only a small amount comes from food. If you eat fat and reduce carbs your HDL ('good cholesterol') will increase and triglycerides will decrease - focus on this and not the total cholesterol figure which is pretty meaningless (apart from triggering the knee-jerk reaction to prescribe statins).
Have just watched the youtube of Sarah Haliburg following link...brilliant:D

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
The biggest problem I have is maintaining weight. My diet is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. I have always been around 13 stone, but when I first started to low carb I dropped to below 12 stone (I am 6'-2" tall). By consciously eating more / extra fat I have managed to put on weight, and am now 12.5 stone, and have been for over a year now (my cholesterol HDL - the good one - is very good).

If you want to put on weight buy pots of double cream and add it to everything you can (scrambled eggs, coffee, cream sauces (eg cauliflower cheese - grated cheese and cream). I get through about 150ml a day.

Try a bullet proof coffee. In an empty mug add 30g butter plus 30g coconut oil, then 3/4 fill with filtered or cafeteria coffee (you can add a spoonful of instant coffee instead and add water) then pour in some double cream and whisk with a battery whisker (this is important, if you don't have a battery whisk, buy one (£1.00 in IKEA!!!). If you find the coffee is a bit on the cold side, put the mug with butter and coconut oil in a bowl of boiling water first, to melt it.

Add lots of Helmans Real Mayonaise to your salads, and I mean lots. I buy them in bulk when on half price offers.
An avocado with a salad is good.

I find rib eye steaks are the fattest (and tastiest) steaks, so I eat a lot of these, plus lamb chops.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
@GeoffersTaylor Yes mate, very!! But if you got any pointers on how to get a six pack....I'm all ears...... :) I lost weight, but still wobbly lol ........
I did say "Beginnings" of a six pack. No secret, apparently. We all have that ab muscle (there's only one, even though it looks like six) , it's just a question of getting the body fat percentage down so that it doesn't cover the abs. There's no exercise that will help define the abs more than just shifting the fat.

macdoug

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply, and the congrats guys.......
The last time I went to the docs was (I think) last May, and everything was bad news :-(....I'm hoping this October (My next appointment) will show vast improvements :) Fingers crossed!
Anyway, we will see, and although it's some time away, I will let you know what the results are.
Rob
Don't worry about the cholesterol, the advice regarding serum cholesterol and dietary saturated fat is a total crock of *****. They are well aware they are wrong as the meta studies on decades of data are now complete but, after 50 years of pumping us with the low fat doctrine, they can hardly come out tomorrow and admit that actually the opposite is true. It will take them another 50 years to slowly turn the ship around. Meanwhile, after doing my own research, I went LCHF like you. I went from obese to normal weight, from diabetic to normal blood sugar and from high cholesterol to "better than normal" (docs own words) in six months! I was going to start exercising because I learned early how beneficial this was but I never got round to starting. Anyway, the cat is out of the bag now . Expect a pleasant surprise when you get your next cholesterol test

Last edited by a moderator: